Claude Chabrol

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

knives

Re: Claude Chabrol

#101 Post by knives » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:55 am

Got to a lesser known one, Marie-Chantel Vs. Doctor Kha, today. On the global level this is easily one of the best post-Bond '60s chic films I've yet to encounter. The only thing that comes close is the Matt Helm films. Now, on the level of Chabrol's career this ranks mightily low not standing to the standard he set for himself after Les Biches. Nevertheless it works far better then his other female staring film in the genre I've seen, Road to Corinth, with the sense of fun and intelligence of the lead succeeding. The film really doesn't work independently. You either have to watch it as a Chabrol film, a Bond comedy, or both. It dies in its two legs. For me its most interesting to watch as a Chabrol since it is identifiable as him while also being a clear case of a lost in the wilderness film which I've come to associate his '60s period with. There's little visually to indicate Chabrol, but what is is an interesting showing of his evolution as an artist. The main thing is his use of colour, particularly blue, white, red, and black, which remains associations no one else would think of. The other bit is the use of violence which is fairly extreme and rough here. There's probably no other film in the genre with as many exposed arteries as this and the fights scenes have a natural brutality to it that Chabrol perversely seems to be pushing just for the reason others wouldn't; namely the lead's gender. I wouldn't call the film feminist per say, but Chabrol doesn't allow concerns of gender affect his violence ala Batgirl.

The other fun thing to consider is the degree and fashion in which he's aping Hitchcock here. Obviously next to De Palma he has the biggest reputation for such behavior, but generally I've found it to be lacking in his text with consideration of genre being the only serious factor. Not so here. He steals liberally for plot and visuals even going so far as an overextended cameo which comes across almost like a last minute replacement. Nearly every film Hitchcock had made up to that point and seemingly at least one he hadn't done yet given the Topaz like humour at the cold war. Each sequence could function as its own tribute starting with The Lady Vanishes going to The Man Who Knew Too Much so on and so forth. It's a little bit of fun which makes the experience worth more then the dated jokes its printed on.

copen

#102 Post by copen » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:51 am

i really liked his last film Bellamy (2009). after the disapointing "A Girl Cut in Two", it was a fantastic return to form. i wanted to spend hours with the inspector and his wife. as far as i was concerned, the movie should have gone on for hours.
my favorites will always be the swindle and la ceremonie, with his other isabelle huppert collaborations not too far behind.
L'enfer (1994) was also good.

Stefan Andersson

#103 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:15 am

Le Beau Serge, restored, to screen at this year´s Venice festival:
http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/ve ... ntID=42422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#104 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:49 am

"Containing homosexuals of both sexes" is my new favorite pull quote

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#106 Post by domino harvey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:32 pm

That was an unexpectedly interesting article, thanks!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#107 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 23, 2017 2:45 am

I don't know if this is widely known, but despite not being mentioned on the packaging, David Kalat actually splits duties with RIc Menello on the commentary for All Day Entertainment's edition of the Cry of the Owl. Both do a great job, and man, what a masterpiece, one of Chabrol's best. Another one to add to your list for the David Kalat completists out there. The insert is a recreation of one character's suicide note too, helpfully translated into English...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#108 Post by domino harvey » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:11 pm

HD rips of Le boucher and La femme infidele on French TV have surfaced on back channels... have these films finally received restoration work? Would love to see Arrow revisit their Chabrol holdings with a massive set

starmanof51

#109 Post by starmanof51 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:15 am

domino harvey wrote:HD rips of Le boucher and La femme infidele on French TV have surfaced on back channels... have these films finally received restoration work? Would love to see Arrow revisit their Chabrol holdings with a massive set
Oh man, doing for him something like what they’ve been doing for Borowczyk would be terrific

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#110 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:36 am

Les Biches Claude Chabrol Panoceanic Films 60 000 €
Le Boucher Claude Chabrol Panoceanic Films 60 000 €
La femme infidèle Claude Chabrol Panoceanic Films 60 000 €
Les innocents aux mains sales Claude Chabrol Panoceanic Films 60 000 €
La route de Corinthe Claude Chabrol Panoceanic Films 35 000 €
Folies bourgeoises Claude Chabrol Panoceanic Films 35 000 €
CNC resto awards late 2013

Also there was an article /rumour very recently-which I can't put my finger on- that the Artedis titles had received aid for restoration work, which include Que la bête meure, La rupture and Juste avant la Nuit

L'Oeuil Malin has been definitely restored but will appear on Studio Canal