It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Edward Yang
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:15 pm 

Worth noting that, although not available on home video yet, That Day on the Beach has been restored; the restoration premiered at the Golden Horse Film Festival this past November

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:38 am 
Bringing Out El Duende

The CC release of A Bright Summer Day several days ago isn't streaming on Hulu+ (shock) but there are a couple of versions on YT (the CC version and a free one) for those who want to view it before purchasing the dvd. It's a definite purchase for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:25 pm 

The Terrorizers is screening in a new restoration at BAM in at the end of October.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:06 am 

Is this Terrorizers restoration even newer than the Blu-ray from a few years ago? Around the same time that was released, new 35mm prints of the film were struck and screened around the world. The one I saw looked beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:39 pm 

whaleallright wrote:
Is this Terrorizers restoration even newer than the Blu-ray from a few years ago? Around the same time that was released, new 35mm prints of the film were struck and screened around the world. The one I saw looked beautiful.

I'm not sure it refers to anything but the restoration that led to the home video version in 2011, going by this article

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:07 am 

OK, that's what I had guessed. Journalists (and publicists) toss the phrase "new restoration" around so casually that it can be difficult to know what "restoration" they're referring to or indeed if it merits the term "restoration" at all (as opposed to simply a new digital transfer, without any serious restoration work).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:49 pm 

The Terrorizers is available in HD on iTunes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:39 am 

...and is now available on Amazon Prime Video courtesy of whoever Cinehouse are

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:06 pm 

I keep hoping for good news for A Confucian Confusion or Mahjong. I'm glad Terrorizers and Brighter Summer Day are getting good representation. It would be great to see these later pictures get some form of official release somewhere, with good picture quality.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:10 am 

feihong wrote:
I keep hoping for good news for A Confucian Confusion or Mahjong. I'm glad Terrorizers and Brighter Summer Day are getting good representation. It would be great to see these later pictures get some form of official release somewhere, with good picture quality.

Just watched The Terrorizers on Amazon, and the closed captions are especially horrible, to the point of spoiling what is going to happen in a few moments - [gunshot], and the ever distracting [dog barking], [phone ringing], [footsteps], etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:38 am 

The Taiwanese Blu of The Terrorisers is now back in stock at JSDVD.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:32 am 

Seems to be out of stock again, but you could try asking JSDVD to let you know when it becomes available. That's what I did, though it took a long time to come through.

The package is very nice, the print a huge improvement on the unofficial copy I had before. The subtitles are clear though not always perfectly timed: at a couple of points several came in a rush, so that I had to go back to read them properly.

Of course, life being what it is, Criterion will follow up the BAM screenings with a release of their own, as I think happened with Taipei Story.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:07 pm 

A rather thorough video essay on The Terrorizers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:18 pm 

Trailer showing the new restoration of That Day on the Beach

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:29 pm 

Glad to see the rights dispute is over or at least no longer holding up a domestic release, though I'm biting my nails for a DVD/Blu announcement. (A 35mm print recently played at the Hong Kong Independent Film Festival, but I was told that came about because they literally just paid everybody making a claim to the film, so it sounded like the underlying dispute hadn't been resolved yet.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:15 pm 

Calvin wrote:

Anyone know if the 7/14 in the trailer is a theatrical release somewhere or a DVD/bluray?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:54 pm 

Theatrical reissue in Taiwan.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:05 pm 

The Wind, the animated film Yang was working on at the time of his death, has popped up on the Chinese Film Bureau's list of newly-approved screenplays, with powerhouse Enlight Media (which has made a few well-received animated features, most notably Big Fish and Begonia) listed as the producer. Lots of cause to be leery here, but then Yang left tons of prep work and his estate has been pretty protective of his legacy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:42 am 

The Terrorizers and 30th Anniversary Edition.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:10 am 

Only a year late!

Does anyone know where this might be for sale other than JSDVD.com? They use some international credit-card authentication system that consistently doesn't work with my (US) cards.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6