Andrei Tarkovsky

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
MichaelB

Re: Andrei Tarkovsky

#176 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:53 am

A search-and-replace that went horribly wrong? Though I can't imagine what could have caused it.

zedz

#177 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:57 pm

That's what I first thought of, but also couldn't imagine what the original culprit might have been.

Though it'd be great if the publisher's explanation was "isn't that how the kids talk these days?"

ltfontaine

#178 Post by ltfontaine » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:04 pm

The University Press of Mississippi tells me that 16 copies remain of the hardcover first edition of Andrei Tarkovsky Interviews (Peter Brunette, ed.) including, I think, the thirteen copies on Amazon. It's a great resource and already going for silly money on secondary sales sites.

jheez

#179 Post by jheez » Fri May 24, 2013 10:07 am

a new documentary on Tarkovsky being made and there is a kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/135 ... ithin-time

Robert de la Cheyniest

#180 Post by Robert de la Cheyniest » Fri May 24, 2013 11:02 am

A brand new print of Nostalghia will be playing at BAM from May 31 to June 13. Kino/Lorber is releasing it.

solaris72

#181 Post by solaris72 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:47 am

Apparently loved Star Wars.

Interesting because I recall him singling out Star Wars and Superman in (I think) Sculpting in Time as examples of movies that have nothing to do with art. Of course that doesn't mean he didn't nonetheless enjoy the film.

EDIT: Thanks warren oates!
Last edited by solaris72 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warren oates

#182 Post by warren oates » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:54 pm

Link not working. Try this one instead.

JabbaTheSlut

#183 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:09 am

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Nostalghia-Blu-ray/89143/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Nostalghia blu-ray

nolanoe

#184 Post by nolanoe » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:01 pm

I saw THE MIRROR in a cinema recently, and was both surprised and delighted to find that most of the black and white sequences actually had shadings in different colors - green, blue, red, yellow. Very subtle, but quite easy to spot.

What a marvel this movie is...

nolanoe

#185 Post by nolanoe » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Why has nobody mentioned THIS??
British distributors Artificial Eye have informed us that they have re-licensed their Andrei Tarkovsky catalog and are planning to release a number of films on Blu-ray. Preliminary release dates are yet to be announced, but the first titles are expected to arrive on the market in Q2.

One of world's most visionary, celebrated and influential filmmakers, Andrei Tarkovsky made just seven features before his tragically early death at the age of 54. Characterised by metaphysical and spiritual explorations of the human condition, each film is an artistic masterpiece of extraordinary visual beauty and stands as an enduring classic of world cinema.

IVAN'S CHILDHOOD

Tarkovsky's extraordinarily accomplished debut feature is a powerful and moving tale of a 12
year-old boy who vows to avenge his family's death at the hands of the Nazis.
USSR 1962 | Black and white | Russian with English subtitles | 90 minutes approx.

ANDREI RUBLEV

Regarded by many as Tarkovsky's finest film, this epic tale of the great medieval icon painter
chronicles a turbulent period of Russian history and was long suppressed by the politically
sensitive Soviet authorities.
USSR 1966 | Black and white & part colour | Russian with English subtitles | 174 minutes approx.

SOLARIS

Based on Stanislaw Lem's novel, Solaris is a moving and unsettling vision of memory and humanity
which transcends the science fiction genre and has often been compared to
Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.
USSR 1972 | Colour & black and white | Russian with English subtitles | 159 minutes approx.

MIRROR

Reflecting upon his own childhood and the destiny of the Russian people, this beautiful and
densely layered film is Tarkovsky's most autobiographical work.
USSR 1974 | Colour & black and white | Russian with English subtitles | 101 minutes approx

STALKER

Set in a devastated future landscape, Tarkovsky's second foray into science fiction is a surreal
and disturbing exploration of man's quest to realise his dreams and desires.
USSR 1979 | Colour & black and white | Russian with English subtitles | 154 minutes approx.

NOSTALGIA

Filmed in Italy just prior to his defection to the west, Tarkovsky's unforgettably haunting film
explores the melancholy of exile from one's homeland.
Italy 1983 | Colour | Russian and Italian with English subtitles | 120 minutes approx.

THE SACRIFICE

In Tarkovsky's final masterpiece, completed as he was gravely ill, a man vows to God that he
will sacrifice all he holds dear if an imminent nuclear catastrophe can be averted.
Sweden / France 1986 | Colour | Swedish, French and English with English subtitles | 142 mins approx.

aox

#186 Post by aox » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:09 pm

It's been mentioned/discussed in the AE thread. But yeah, exciting news. I hope the PQ is better than the Sacrifice BD release. Additionally, I hope this means a R1 release is on its way.

hearthesilence

#187 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:04 pm

They announced Mirror and Stalker a loooong time ago, I was beginning to think they scrapped those plans. Will probably only get those two since I have Criterion's Ivan and Solaris, and I'm still hoping for the extended cut of Andre Rublev on BD.

nolanoe

#188 Post by nolanoe » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:51 am

I never quite got the love for Rubljev, so the long version might finally cut it, for me (do you mean the 2-part-version, or is there an EVEN LONGER one?).

I've held back, as I was sure a thorough Box would come out at some point, so I am more than glad to see they finally deliver.

I never figured why they used the (Japanese, I think) HD transfer of Mirror for their DVD, but didn't go Blu. Watching it in a cinema, I also caught quite a few discrepancies between the restored version and the 35mm version (the most obvious being the opening shot, now all rosé, which - while lovely - doesn't resemble the color scheme of the (possibly old?) print). I am really interested to see how that one will look.

kidc85

#189 Post by kidc85 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:57 pm

There are three versions of ANDREI RUBLEV - the original, longer cut (named THE PASSION ACCORDING TO ANDREI) and then two subsequent shortened versions. Criterion released the PASSION cut, whilst AE have always released the shortest cut.

The following is a quote from Tarkovsky himself
Nobody has ever cut anything from Andrei Rublov. Nobody except me. I made some cuts myself. In the first version the film was 3 hours 20 minutes long. In the second — 3 hours 15 minutes. I shortened the final version to 3 hours 6 minutes, I am convinced the latest version is the best, the most successful and I only cut certain overly long scenes. The viewer doesn't even notice their absence. The cuts have in no way changed neither the subject matter nor what was for us important in the film. In other words, we removed overly long scenes which had no significance.

We shortened certain scenes of brutality in order to induce psychological shock in viewers, as opposed to a mere unpleasant impression which would only destroy our intent. All my friends and colleagues who during long discussions were advising me to make those cuts turned out right in the end. It took me some time to understand it. At first I got the impression they were attempting to pressure my creative individuality. Later I understood that this final version of the film more than fulfils my requirements for it. And I do not regret at all that the film has been shortened to its present length.

hearthesilence

#190 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:47 pm

I actually like the longer cut though and would miss certain camera movements, audio mix choices and 'violent' moments that are actually stunning. I've seen the theatrical cut once in its entirety and numerous times in various spots, and there are moments where it really pops out - "Why are we cutting to this close-up like this, wasn't there a beautiful extended pan?" "How come we can't hear these people in the distance, it's like the music's drowning them out." "I thought there was more with the horse here, because this shot doesn't get under my skin nearly as much." etc.

nolanoe

#191 Post by nolanoe » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:25 pm

Hm. I have only seen the (japanese?) BD-version. I was actually glad to NOT see any Horse-slaughtering there. [-X

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#192 Post by swo17 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:13 pm

I believe the infamous "horse on the stairs" scene is in the shorter cut that's currently on Blu-ray.

nolanoe

#193 Post by nolanoe » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:32 pm

There is a new BD of Stalker out, apparently, and what I have seen of it looks rather beautiful - any word if this is the same source as the upcoming AE Box?

MichaelB

#194 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:59 pm

hearthesilence wrote:I actually like the longer cut though and would miss certain camera movements, audio mix choices and 'violent' moments that are actually stunning. I've seen the theatrical cut once in its entirety and numerous times in various spots, and there are moments where it really pops out - "Why are we cutting to this close-up like this, wasn't there a beautiful extended pan?" "How come we can't hear these people in the distance, it's like the music's drowning them out." "I thought there was more with the horse here, because this shot doesn't get under my skin nearly as much." etc.
Conversely, because I grew up with the 186-minute version, I feel exactly the opposite way!

aox

#195 Post by aox » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:41 pm

nolanoe wrote:There is a new BD of Stalker out, apparently, and what I have seen of it looks rather beautiful - any word if this is the same source as the upcoming AE Box?
That's so good to hear. Really hope we get a release in the US soon.

fictionalfoe

#196 Post by fictionalfoe » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:02 am

Has anyone noticed that on the Criterion page for Andrei Rublev that the listed running time is 185 minutes despite the fact that this release was/is for the 205 minute Director's Cut? I wonder if this is Criterion's way of prepping the movie for a release by the end of 2015. Cross your fingers!

criterion10

#197 Post by criterion10 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:57 pm

Comparison between old Kino Blu-Ray and new Japanese Blu-Ray of The Sacrifice

Ribs

#198 Post by Ribs » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:02 pm

fictionalfoe wrote:Has anyone noticed that on the Criterion page for Andrei Rublev that the listed running time is 185 minutes despite the fact that this release was/is for the 205 minute Director's Cut? I wonder if this is Criterion's way of prepping the movie for a release by the end of 2015. Cross your fingers!
Wayback Machine indicates that this has always been the case.

aox

#199 Post by aox » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:44 pm

nolanoe

#200 Post by nolanoe » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:13 pm

Color-wise, it has the same bright pink glow to it like the BD of ZERKALO that was released a while ago.
From what I remember, that's pretty much what it looked like on 35mm, though.