It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Ingmar Bergman
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:52 pm 

ermylaw wrote:
Last year, I watched 39 of Bergman's films (as director) in chronological order. Doing that really helped me to see how he grew as a filmmaker while still maintaining a certain consistency in tone.

In watching so many of his films, did you find any of his films to be significantly weaker than others, or significantly less 'Bergman' than the others?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:26 pm 

Ming-liang Tsai, Aki Kaurismaki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:04 am 

Rayon Vert wrote:
Ozu, Ford and Rohmer are other directors that come to mind with their own company of rotating actors.

Or the late works of Manoel de Oliveira. Luis Miguel Cintra is in almost every one of them, and the wonderful Leonor Silveira practically only played in Oliveira's films.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:32 am 

And let's not forget Gerald Thomas.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:16 am 

RossyG wrote:
And let's not forget Gerald Thomas.

Indeed not.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:54 am 

Une histoire d´âme (A Matter of the Soul), starring Sophie Marceau, airs on Dec. 3, 2015, on ARTE.

Based on a screenplay (1972) by Bergman, intended as a feature film consisting of a single close-up. Bergman later converted it into a radio play (broadcast in 1990). This material has later been translated and reworked into a stage play in French.

Published in English in New Swedish Plays, ed. Anderman, Norwich: Norvik Press, 1992, pp. 33-64.

http://television.telerama.fr/tele/prog ... 877702.php
- extract, no subs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:16 am 

This is something old but couldn't find info about it anywhere.

On the US MGM 6-disc Bergman Collection, on the bonus disc, the interview "Intermezzo", my copy plays with no dialogue for the first minute. The burned-in subtitles show people are clearly talking, but all I hear are ambient bells. A minute in, the talking comes in. Is this faulty or does everyone else's disc have this problem?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:09 am 

manicsounds wrote:
This is something old but couldn't find info about it anywhere.

On the US MGM 6-disc Bergman Collection, on the bonus disc, the interview "Intermezzo", my copy plays with no dialogue for the first minute. The burned-in subtitles show people are clearly talking, but all I hear are ambient bells. A minute in, the talking comes in. Is this faulty or does everyone else's disc have this problem?

Mine is the same.

I don't think it's an error I think it's something they've decided to do in the presentation of the piece (the end is the same), though it is odd.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:37 am 

An old unknown Bergman script found. It was intended to be a collaboration with Fellini and Kurosawa. Now...

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:36 pm 
Dot Com Dom

The forum's Ingmar Bergman Auteur List ends on Friday-- you can submit a list even if you haven't participated in discussion!

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:40 pm 

I just noticed on IMDb that Bergman was born in 1918, are there any restorations underway planned for his centennial?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:18 pm 

movielocke wrote:
I just noticed on IMDb that Bergman was born in 1918, are there any restorations underway planned for his centennial?
From the New York City Repertory Cinema thread not long ago:
FrauBlucher wrote:
This morning I had a chat with Bruce Goldstein of the Film Forum. Some great stuff is coming. There will be a Jean Pierre Melville retrospective in honor of his 100 year Anniversary. He said there will be some rare stuff and many restored films. I asked if him Le Samourai was a restoration. He said no, it is French Archive 35mm print. Then later this summer there'll be a major Ernst Lubitsch retro with surpises from his catalogue. And finally, in January the 100 years of Bergman. He said many will be new restorations. This sounds huge as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:49 am 

Bergman centenary to include Margarethe von Trotta feature doc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:41 am 

The long-deleted and very expensive UK 30-DVD Bergman Collection is being re-released by Palisades Tartan, ahead of next year's centenary of his birth. This time around it contains an extra disc: Fanny and Alexander (1982), likely the 2013 reissue of their 2003 DVD.
There's a puzzle though, in that the website, Facebook and Twitter accounts of Palisades Tartan haven't been updated for several years. Hopefully, the label is being reinvigorated and this isn't just a one-off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14