It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: El Sur
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:54 pm 

Tommaso wrote:
rapta wrote:
Hopefully this will encourage more Erice releases in the UK!

More importantly, hopefully this will encourage Erice to make a new feature film. Apart from some occasional shorts, he didn't make a new full-length film after "El sol del membrillo". What are the reasons for this absence?

One of the Spanish releases (maybe it's The Quince Tree Sun?) had a lengthy interview with Erice, and he seemed to indicate that it was simply a matter of financing rather than anything dramatic like a creative block or politics. Which makes it even more tragic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:11 pm 

If that's the reason, it's tragic indeed. And it's somewhat ironic given that - for example - something as uncommercial as Greenaway's "Tulse Luper Suitcases" got funding from a large number of European film productions (probably also some state funding involved). Not that I'd ever complain about this, but I wonder why another Erice feature film couldn't be supported in a similar manner, given the status of his three former films.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:32 pm 

I think Greenaway was extremely fortunate to have a very dedicated, resourceful and indulgent longterm producer in Kees Kasander, who somehow managed to keep his career ticking over year after year in the absence of commercial success (or critical success, really).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:47 pm 

criterionsnob wrote:
Beaver. Too bad about the edge enhancement. Hopefully Criterion releases this soon.

#-o Very frustrating, and single-layered too! Was going to pre-order this but now I think I'll wait for a sale.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:26 pm 

Finch wrote:
criterionsnob wrote:
Beaver. Too bad about the edge enhancement. Hopefully Criterion releases this soon.

#-o Very frustrating, and single-layered too! Was going to pre-order this but now I think I'll wait for a sale.

It is quite affordable on release (£10.99 from HMV) but I might do the same and wait a bit.

Single-layered releases are a rarity from BFI, so it's slightly surprising they did that with such an anticipated title as this - though it could be that this is just the master they were supplied with and the best they could deliver (there's still a bit of space left on the disc after the extras). I'm certainly grateful it's getting a release at all!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:01 am 

10.99 at Amazon.uk. Seems like the same transfer as the Spanish Vertice cine from 2012 (English subs).