Frantz Fanon: Black Skin White Mask

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

antnield

#1 Post by antnield » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:54 pm

A film by Isaac Julien

Starring celebrated British actor Colin Salmon (Arrow, Prime Suspect, Tomorrow Never Dies as Fanon, and using reconstructions, archive footage and interviews with major theorists and writers (such as Stuart Hall, Françoise Vergès and Homi K Bhabha) Frantz Fanon: Black Skin White Mask tells the story of the life and work of the highly influential anti-colonialist writer Frantz Fanon.

Together, artist and filmmaker Isaac Julien (Looking for Langston, Young Soul Rebels) and curator and producer Mark Nash (Documenta 11) undertake an intellectual and poetic exploration of Fanon's life, influence and legacy, from his early years in Martinique (then a colony of France) to his professional life as a psychiatric doctor and revolutionary in Algeria during the bloody war of independence with France.

Now, as the film's twentieth anniversary approaches and we witness Arab uprisings, religious fundamentalisms and the so-called 'War on Terror', Fanon and his work are more pertinent than ever

Special features
- Stills Gallery
- Extensive booklet with essays and film credits
- Downloadable PDFs of extended essays and archive materials
January 19th, 2015

thirtyframesasecond

Re: Frantz Fanon: Black Skin White Mask

#2 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:54 am

Anyone know why this keeps getting delayed? Amazon now suggests it's going to be released March 2016.

We have a dodgy off-air recording in our library but we're desperate for a good quality copy!

antnield

#3 Post by antnield » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:42 pm

SPECIAL FEATURES

- Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
- Between Two Worlds (Mark Nash, 1992, 27 mins): the story of a young man, Graham (Jason Durr), who is undergoing treatment by a Czech psychoanalyst, Dr Ludwig
- Stills Gallery: an extensive collection of stills from Frantz Fanon: Black Skin White Mask
- Fully illustrated booklet with essays and full film credits
- Downloadable PDFs of extended essays

frankiecrisp

#4 Post by frankiecrisp » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:51 am

Any idea when this is going to get released

thirtyframesasecond

#5 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri May 12, 2017 8:54 am

frankiecrisp wrote:Any idea when this is going to get released
Amazon says it's available but seeing as the BFI aren't listing it amongst their new releases in the shop, then I'm a bit doubtful. What is going on with this?

Aunt Peg

#6 Post by Aunt Peg » Fri May 12, 2017 9:33 am

I reordered it via Amazon. They sent all the other items except for this one.

Since it's 'release date' it has been stating that 'Usually dispatched within 1 to 4 weeks.' I suspect none have been pressed and sent yet if the BFI site doesn't haven't them. This must go down as one of the longest 'coming soon' items that the BFI have ever attempted to release.

Aunt Peg

#7 Post by Aunt Peg » Tue May 23, 2017 6:09 pm

I received an email from Amazon that:

We regret to report that the release of the following item has been cancelled:

"Frantz Fanon: Black Skin White Mask (DVD + Blu-ray)"

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available.

thirtyframesasecond

#8 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu May 25, 2017 9:08 am

Aunt Peg wrote:I received an email from Amazon that:

We regret to report that the release of the following item has been cancelled:

"Frantz Fanon: Black Skin White Mask (DVD + Blu-ray)"

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available.
Jeez, that's annoying. Why does the BFI get our hopes up so much? Is it the actual film or some of the extras? I know California Newsreel sell it to the public and to libraries in the US, so what gives?

Aunt Peg

#9 Post by Aunt Peg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:22 am

This is back on pre-order at Amazon for a 17 July 2017 release.

I don't think I have ever had a film in my Amazon cart so many times before only to have it delayed.

thirtyframesasecond

#10 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:41 am

Aunt Peg wrote:This is back on pre-order at Amazon for a 17 July 2017 release.

I don't think I have ever had a film in my Amazon cart so many times before only to have it delayed.
I am not getting remotely optimistic.

Has the BFI ever explained the reason for the delay?

Aunt Peg

#11 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 am

Surprise, surprise....this has been delayed again. I received an email stating it would be delivered it October 2017, though Amazon is still showing a July release date which will do doubt be updated in the coming days to late September/early October.

thirtyframesasecond

#12 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:00 am

Amazon says October now. Does anyone at the BFI post on these boards? I'd love to know what the hold up is. We've had a grotty VHS copy here go missing and it's available as a fairly rudimentary stream through the Arts on Film Archive, but I've been desperate for this as it's used for teaching.

Aunt Peg

#13 Post by Aunt Peg » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:03 am

Might be best to contact the BFI directly.

MichaelB

#14 Post by MichaelB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:00 am

Full specs announced:
Colin Salmon in
Frantz Fanon
Black Skin White Mask

A film by Isaac Julien and Mark Nash

Starring celebrated British actor Colin Salmon (Arrow, No Offence) as Fanon, and using reconstruction, archive footage and interviews with major theorists and writers (including Stuart Hall, Françoise Vergès and Homi K Bhabha), Frantz Fanon: Black Skin White Mask tells the story of the life and work of the highly influential anti-colonialist writer Frantz Fanon. After its screenings in the BFI London Film Festival on 5 and 8 October, the BFI will release the film for the first time on Blu-ray and DVD in a Dual Format Edition on 18 October 2017.

Together, artist and filmmaker Isaac Julien (Looking for Langston, Young Soul Rebels) and curator and producer Mark Nash (Documenta 11) undertake an intellectual and poetic exploration of Fanon’s life, influence and legacy, from his early years in Martinique (then a French colony) to his professional life as a psychiatrist and as a revolutionary in Algeria during its bloody war for independence from France.

In light of the film’s recent 20th anniversary, and as we witness uprisings in the Arab world, religious fundamentalism and the so-called war on terror, Fanon and his work are more pertinent than ever.

Special features
• Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition;
Between Two Worlds (Mark Nash, 1992, 27 mins): the story of a young man, Graham (Jason Durr), who is undergoing treatment by a Czech psychoanalyst, Dr Ludwig;
• Stills gallery: an extensive collection of stills from Frantz Fanon: Black Skin White Mask;
• Illustrated booklet with essays by Isaac Julien, Mark Nash and Stuart Hall.

Product details
RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1268 / Cert 15
UK, France / 1996 / colour, and black and white / 68 mins / English and French language, with optional English and French subtitles / original aspect ratio 1.66:1 / BD50: 1080p, 24fps, PCM 2.0 stereo (48kHz/24-bit) DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo (320kbps)

Aunt Peg

#15 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:35 am

Amazon is stating that this is 'temporarily out of stock'.

Knew it was too good to be true. I can't recall any other title delayed for so long and so often.

MichaelB

#16 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:41 am

The BFI has asked me to let you know that this release has not suffered any further delay; it now physically exists, Sony DADC has plenty of copies in stock, and they don't know why Amazon is claiming otherwise.

It is currently available at other retailers, not least the BFI themselves.

Aunt Peg

#17 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:03 am

MichaelB wrote:The BFI has asked me to let you know that this release has not suffered any further delay; it now physically exists, Sony DADC has plenty of copies in stock, and they don't know why Amazon is claiming otherwise.

It is currently available at other retailers, not least the BFI themselves.
Thanks Michael. That's good to hear. I'll leave it in my Amazon cart which I'm clicking to finalise on Friday.

Aunt Peg

#18 Post by Aunt Peg » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:33 am

Finally received my copy last Friday. Haven't got around to viewing it yet but should find some time during the week. Do doubt it will have been worth the wait.