The Devils

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

TMDaines

Re: The Devils (Ken Russell, 1971)

#101 Post by TMDaines » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:26 pm

HJackson wrote:This release has been soiled more by the Mark Kermode quote being put on the front cover than by the omission of any controversial scenes.
Yeah, I agree.

HOW DARE THEY USE A GLOWING QUOTE FROM THE MOST FAMOUS FILM CRITIC IN THE COUNTRY TO TRY AND GET MORE SALES!!!

HJackson

#102 Post by HJackson » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:49 pm

TMDaines wrote:Yeah, I agree.

HOW DARE THEY USE A GLOWING QUOTE FROM THE MOST FAMOUS FILM CRITIC IN THE COUNTRY TO TRY AND GET MORE SALES!!!
Mate, he's a cretin.

knives

#103 Post by knives » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:10 pm

But he's a cretin who boosts sales. What you're suggesting is like turning down free money.

MichaelB

#104 Post by MichaelB » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:36 pm

It's very rare indeed for the BFI to stick quotes on the front of the box, but I can absolutely see why they made an exception in this case.

Revealingly, Kermode's recent video podcast was entirely about The Devils, but it attracted loads of comments that were about other director's cuts, and very few of which were about The Devils itself. To an entire generation, the sad fact is that this film really isn't that well known - it's been very hard to see at all, and almost impossible to see in a decent version. Unless you were lucky enough to catch one of the all too rare outings of the 2004 version, when was the last chance anybody had to see the 1971 British cinema cut in the correct aspect ratio? I booked it a few times for rep airings in the 1990s (though I remember it was mysteriously withdrawn in 1994 when I tried to get it for a season of films about demonic possession), but there've been precious few screenings since.

Which is presumably why they decided to stick a quote from one of the best-known film critics in the country calling it one of the greatest films ever made. Like it or not, that carries a fair amount of commercial weight.

Flanell

#105 Post by Flanell » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:41 am

Better to just put a sticker on, and everyone will be happy. The boost in sales for that qoute should cover the cost.

colinr0380

#106 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:32 pm

MichaelB wrote:Revealingly, Kermode's recent video podcast was entirely about The Devils, but it attracted loads of comments that were about other director's cuts, and very few of which were about The Devils itself. To an entire generation, the sad fact is that this film really isn't that well known - it's been very hard to see at all, and almost impossible to see in a decent version.
Although at the end of that video piece (here is a YouTube version as I think the BBC blocks video content outside the UK) after talking about the relative merits of the 'X' and 'restored' versions of The Devils, Kermode did segue into Apocalpyse Now Redux and (inevitably!) The Exorcist and the way that while he obviously prefers the "Version You Wish You'd Never Seen", that some people do not. Then he asked the viewers to say what they thought about directors cuts and whether they added anything extra to the experience or not in the comments section. So I do not think that talking about other director's cuts suggests a lack of interest in or knowledge about The Devils per se, but more that the commentators were responding to Kermode's suggested topic for further discussion.

I didn't post my thoughts on there but I keep thinking of all of those variant edits of George Romero's Dawn of the Dead as being an interesting example of multiple versions of a film all being worthwhile. The version I personally prefer (I love the more relaxed pacing of this version) is the longest one, which was initially misleadingly released as "the Director's Cut" on VHS but which was more of an early version of the film which was the one presented at Cannes. Romero's preferred version was the theatrical cut. Then there is the Dario Agento "Zombi" cut of the film, a much more stripped down and action oriented edit of the film created for foreign language markets and the one which, when it originally turned up for distribution in the UK, the BBFC wanted to heavily edit - when the longer theatrical version of the film was presented instead, the BBFC apparently wanted far fewer edits because the cumulative impact of the violence was not so intense and there was more 'context' provided for the action as well.

By the way while watching an old VHS recording of the BBC screening of the X version of The Devils just after this news was released, I noticed one of the nuns in the background of the orgy sequence who was seeming to do the exact same 'spider walk' that turned up in The Exorcist, made years later! Perhaps there are only so many ways to portray religious mania/possession through contorting the body? :-k

SternDiet

#107 Post by SternDiet » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:44 pm

colinr0380 wrote:By the way while watching an old VHS recording of the BBC screening of the X version of The Devils just after this news was released, I noticed one of the nuns in the background of the orgy sequence who was seeming to do the exact same 'spider walk' that turned up in The Exorcist, made years later! Perhaps there are only so many ways to portray religious mania/possession through contorting the body? :-k
It's also one of the funniest moments in an already very funny movie:

King: "Reverend Father, I notice that you don't speak to these creatures in Latin as is usual. Why is that?"

Father Barre: "They're not conversant with the language. You understand, Sire, that there are uneducated as well as educated devils."

Nun doing spider walk: "I haven't travelled much."

(Amused) King: "Quite!"

DiVicenzo

#108 Post by DiVicenzo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:25 am

The nun in the 'spider walk' position is Sister Jeanne but I always thought she said 'I am travelling' and never understood what was meant. Now what you have said makes sense and is very funny :D
I must have watched 'The Devils' several hundred times and taken several hundred people see it and yet 40 years later I am learning something new.
Also, in Huxley's book or somewhere I read that the nuns did indeed writhe/ walk around like crabs rather than spiders in 'real life' so to speak.
You probably already know this but just behind the shenanigans going with the Duc de Conde et al are two spectators huddled together with a nose-gay who are Twiggy and Justin de Villeneuve (sp?)

DiVicenzo

#109 Post by DiVicenzo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:53 am

I don't know where my last post (very fitting) disappeared to but you may like to watch this

Feego

#110 Post by Feego » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:13 am

That "spider-walk" scene can be viewed here. (NSFW)

StevenPK

#111 Post by StevenPK » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:59 am

@Michael

Earlier I think you mentioned WB woul be providing the master. May I ask, what format do they deliver and would the BFI the do a restoration from that? Also, can we be sure they won't just deliver a copy of the cropped 16x9 version first shown on a late 90's BBC transmission and subsequently released by WB on VHS and shown on Ch4?

Thanks

MichaelB

#112 Post by MichaelB » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:28 pm

StevenPK wrote:Earlier I think you mentioned WB woul be providing the master. May I ask, what format do they deliver and would the BFI the do a restoration from that?
It would almost certainly have been SD Digibeta, and from what I hear it doesn't need restoring: the picture is apparently superb (albeit unavoidably SD).

Unless by "restoration" you mean "splicing in the 'rape of Christ' footage", but I understand they're explicitly barred from doing that. I haven't seen the contract myself, but I imagine it makes it very clear that the BFI is expected to release the UK cinema version in unmodified form.
Also, can we be sure they won't just deliver a copy of the cropped 16x9 version first shown on a late 90's BBC transmission and subsequently released by WB on VHS and shown on Ch4?
We can be very sure indeed. Both the producer of this project and the head of BFI DVD Publishing have separately confirmed to me that this is the small-screen premiere of the UK cinema cut in the correct aspect ratio. It will also be anamorphically enhanced, which wasn't true of the VHS/BBC2/C4 versions.

StevenPK

#113 Post by StevenPK » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:00 pm

Thanks Michael.

By remastered, I guess I was concerned because I'd read elsewhere that the existing prints weren't in the best condition, so I was wondering what, if any work had been done to restore the print in it's transfer to DigiBeta, and (cut scenes and SD DVD aside) can we look forward to as stunning a transfer as we have seen on other BFI releases? I am hoping so and am glad to hear the BBC transmission version will not be the source.

Got to say I am quite looking forward to this. I used to own a copy of the original UK VHS release and watched it quite regularly in my mis-spent youth. Revisiting it has seen me less taken by it than I used to be, but I am still really looking forward to this.

Regarding the Rape Of Christ scene - frankly I'm not too fussed about it not being included (although I would like to see how it plays when juxtaposed with Urbain Grandier taking communion by the lake). All the crash zooms and the frankly 'tame' sex all looked a bit silly to me (all be it only ever seen out of context in the Ch4 'Hell On Earth' doc).

Anyway. Great news and thanks again.

antnield

#114 Post by antnield » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:27 am

An additional extra (to those listed on either the first or second page of this thread) is now up on Amazon:
On-stage Q&A with Ken Russell (2012, 13 mins): an excerpt from a conversation with Mark Kermode filmed at the National Film Theatre in 2004.
Also, Sam Ashby's contribution to the booklet - on Derek Jarman's set designs - can be read in the latest issue of Little Joe magazine which Ashby edits, designs and publishes. (Details here.)

tavernier

#115 Post by tavernier » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:34 am

KR also gave a short Q&A (with Vanessa Redgrave) after a Walter Reade Theater screening of "The Devils" in 2010. I wonder if anyone recorded it?

MichaelB

#116 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:36 am

antnield wrote:An additional extra (to those listed on either the first or second page of this thread) is now up on Amazon:
On-stage Q&A with Ken Russell (2012, 13 mins): an excerpt from a conversation with Mark Kermode filmed at the National Film Theatre in 2004.
I hope that includes the send-off where Kermode thanks him for making one of the ten best films of all time and Russell says "Yeah! Lair of the White Worm!", and brought the house down. It was easily the best Q&A wrapping-up I've ever heard.

kneelzod

#117 Post by kneelzod » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:45 pm

tavernier wrote:KR also gave a short Q&A (with Vanessa Redgrave) after a Walter Reade Theater screening of "The Devils" in 2010. I wonder if anyone recorded it?
I was there and it's not worth the disc space, unfortunately. Ken was clearly not well at that point and it felt like he was being needlessly dragged out in front of everyone for the cause of selling more tickets. Ken answered a few questions with monosyllabic answers and generally flustered the interviewer (Film Comment editor Gavin Smith). The painfully long "q & a" was dominated by Ms. Redgrave going on...and on about her efforts to free a man imprisoned at Guantanamo for alleged terrorist activities. I also saw the post-film discussion for THE BOYFRIEND and, again, Ken basically stood up a couple times to take in the applause and thanked the audience for their support. There was honestly nothing of substance shared...it was basically about seeing Ken Russell in attendance at his films.

MichaelB

#118 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:46 pm

MichaelB wrote:I hope that includes the send-off where Kermode thanks him for making one of the ten best films of all time and Russell says "Yeah! Lair of the White Worm!", and brought the house down. It was easily the best Q&A wrapping-up I've ever heard.
Well, it seems that the bad news is that it's been removed from the Q&A...

...but the good news is that it's in the commentary. Apparently - I haven't heard it myself.

tavernier

#119 Post by tavernier » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:56 pm

kneelzod wrote:
tavernier wrote:KR also gave a short Q&A (with Vanessa Redgrave) after a Walter Reade Theater screening of "The Devils" in 2010. I wonder if anyone recorded it?
I was there and it's not worth the disc space, unfortunately. Ken was clearly not well at that point and it felt like he was being needlessly dragged out in front of everyone for the cause of selling more tickets. Ken answered a few questions with monosyllabic answers and generally flustered the interviewer (Film Comment editor Gavin Smith). The painfully long "q & a" was dominated by Ms. Redgrave going on...and on about her efforts to free a man imprisoned at Guantanamo for alleged terrorist activities. I also saw the post-film discussion for THE BOYFRIEND and, again, Ken basically stood up a couple times to take in the applause and thanked the audience for their support. There was honestly nothing of substance shared...it was basically about seeing Ken Russell in attendance at his films.
oh well...

antnield

#120 Post by antnield » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:49 am

Here's Alex Cox and James Ferman introducing the film for its UK television premiere back in 1995. (Beforehand there's also John Peel reminiscing about House of Wax.)

MichaelB

#121 Post by MichaelB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Final specs announced:
Ken Russell’s The Devils
Starring Vanessa Redgrave and Oliver Reed
with Dudley Sutton, Max Adrian, Gemma Jones, Murray Melvin, Michael Gothard, Georgina Hale, Brian Murphy and Christopher Logue

2-disc Special Edition DVD released on 19 March

Forty years ago, The Devils caused outrage amongst audiences and critics after one of the longest-running battles with the BBFC was resolved and the film finally opened in cinemas. Now recognised as a landmark in British film history, The Devils finally gets its DVD premiere on 19 March, released by the BFI in the original UK X certificate version, accompanied by a wealth of new and exciting extra features and a 44-page illustrated booklet.

The death of director Ken Russell, in November last year, sparked an outpouring of tributes from both the film industry and fans. This 2-disc Special Edition release of what many consider to be his greatest work is a justly fitting tribute to one of Britain’s true mavericks.

The Devils is based on John Whiting’s stage play and Aldous Huxley’s novel. In 17th century France, a promiscuous and divisive local priest, Urbain Grandier (Oliver Reed), uses his powers to protect the city of Loudun from destruction by the establishment. Soon, he stands accused of the demonic possession of Sister Jeanne (Vanessa Redgrave), whose erotic obsession with him fuels the hysterical fervour that sweeps through the convent.

With Ken Russell’s bold and brilliant direction, magnificent performances by Oliver Reed and Vanessa Redgrave, exquisite Derek Jarman sets and a sublimely dissonant score by Sir Peter Maxwell Davies, The Devils stands as a profound and sincere commentary on religious hysteria, political persecution and the corrupt marriage of church and state.

Special features
• DVD premiere presentation of the original UK X certificate version;
• Newly filmed introduction with broadcaster and critic Mark Kermode (2012, 2 mins);
• Audio commentary with Ken Russell, Mark Kermode, editor Michael Bradsell and Paul Joyce;
Hell on Earth (Paul Joyce, 2002, 48 mins): documentary exploring the film's production and the controversy surrounding its original release;
Director of Devils (1971, 22 mins): documentary featuring candid Ken Russell interviews and unique footage of Sir Peter Maxwell Davies recording his celebrated film score;
• Original on-set footage with commentary by editor Michael Bradsell (2012, 8 mins);
• On-stage Q&A with Ken Russell (2012, 13 mins): an excerpt from a conversation with Mark Kermode filmed at the National Film Theatre in 2004;
Amelia and the Angel (1958, 26 mins): Ken Russell's second short, made by the BFI’s Experimental Film Fund; a delightful mix of religious allegory and magical fantasy;
• Original UK trailer
• Original US trailer
• 44-page illustrated booklet featuring new essays from Mark Kermode, Craig Lapper (BBFC), Michael Bradsell and Sam Ashby, plus film notes, biographies and credits

RRP: £19.99 / cat. no. BFIVD940 / Cert 18
UK / 1971 / colour / English language with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / 107 mins /
Dolby Digital mono audio (320kbps) / Original aspect ratio 2.35:1 (16x9 enhanced) / Region 2
Pretty much everything has already been revealed: the two additions are the Mark Kermode introduction (replacing the planned, announced but sadly never filmed Ken Russell one), and an excerpt from the 2004 post-screening Q&A that I attended at the NFT. Oh, and the fact that the booklet is a 44-page whopper, double the usual length.

Also note that while they weren't prepared to license the home video rights to the 2004 cut, Warner Bros have agreed to allow a Ken Russell memorial screening of that version at BFI Southbank on Monday 19 March at 8.00pm in NFT1. A panel of experts and members of the cast and crew will take part in a discussion afterwards. For all sorts of reasons, tickets are likely to sell out very fast.

McCrutchy

#122 Post by McCrutchy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:52 am

MichaelB wrote:Final specs announced:
Lovingly stolen and re-posted (twice) on Blu-ray.com...

videozor

#123 Post by videozor » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:33 pm

MichaelB wrote:Final specs announced
What about the cover art? Is the one on the BFI site as well as on Amazon the FINAL one? It looks completely different than the rest of the BFI's lates disks (either DVDs or combos)...

Duncan Hopper

#124 Post by Duncan Hopper » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:58 am

The BFI have thankfully, finally made the decision to move away from the ugly uniformed design of all previous releases. It seems most future releases will have somewhat unique designs, albeit in recognisably BFI style packaging.

kidc85

#125 Post by kidc85 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:43 am

MichaelB wrote:Also note that while they weren't prepared to license the home video rights to the 2004 cut, Warner Bros have agreed to allow a Ken Russell memorial screening of that version at BFI Southbank on Monday 19 March at 8.00pm in NFT1. A panel of experts and members of the cast and crew will take part in a discussion afterwards. For all sorts of reasons, tickets are likely to sell out very fast.
Thanks for the heads up about this. Ordered my tickets the day they went on general release (which I would never have done if not pre-warned, I'm usually lazy about getting the new BFI listings) and it was already two-thirds sold out. Needless to say, very excited.