Journey to Italy

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

ellipsis7

Re: Journey to Italy

#26 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:46 pm

Any indication yet which month?...

RossyG

#27 Post by RossyG » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Just guessing, but in August alongside the already announced Stromboli would be nice.

ellipsis7

#28 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:34 am

RossyG wrote:Just guessing, but in August alongside the already announced Stromboli would be nice.
Exactly... And it looks like 19th August for VOYAGE TO ITALY too!...

rohmerin

#30 Post by rohmerin » Fri May 03, 2013 12:29 pm

RE-Release US poster

http://www.cartelespeliculas.com/galeri ... os=-190813" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it in the correct English-language soundtrack? I've never seen it in English, only the Italian dubbed version.
Last edited by rohmerin on Fri May 03, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellipsis7

#31 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri May 03, 2013 12:35 pm

That's actually the current US poster from Janus Films also pointing to a Criterion release... The BFI poster will be in their distinctive house style...

The BFI BR/DVD will have the English soundtrack as did the previous BFI DVD... Trailer here...

rohmerin

#32 Post by rohmerin » Fri May 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Wow, after watching the trailer, the quality is amazing.

ellipsis7

#33 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:12 am

First glimpse of the cover...

It's based on the same image as the previous DVD, but one of them is flipped I guess...

...quick reference to the opening of the film shows first Bergman is driving a right hand drive car with Sanders sitting in the LH passenger seat, then they change over to Sanders driving on the RHS seat, Bergman in the LH passenger seat... So nothing definitive there... Sanders is not wearing an overcoat & hat in this scene so the production still may come from another part of the film, or just be a location shot of no particular providence...
Last edited by ellipsis7 on Sun May 05, 2013 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#34 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun May 05, 2013 7:22 am

Bergman's favoured side was her left profile. Draw your own conclusions and also check out the ratio of left to right profile shots in either Notorious or Casablanca. After all, what else are you doing Bank Holiday weekend?

ellipsis7

#35 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:30 am

Another interesting thing is that Sanders is wearing the coat & hat in the second scene of the movie, where they pull up in the car at nighttime outside the hotel... I guess it is the new cover, as all the in car shots are filmed with the car travelling R-L, i.e. of Bergman's LHS profile as you say... I seem to remember on his course Robert McKee mentioned they went to incredible lengths to maintain the angle of Bergman's LH profile in CASABLANCA, including having her again on the passenger side of an anomalous RH drive French car in a flashback to France....

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#36 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun May 05, 2013 8:49 am

Funny you should mention the McKee course as many moons ago I attended a weekend where he came up with the cracker-barrel theory that, as we in the west read left to right, the most important character in any particular scene is positioned on the right hand side of the frame. As an example he showed the scene from Casablanca with Ingrid and HB in the bazaar. When I asked whether it wasn't simply a question of her preferring her left profile he just harrumphed and moved on. I think I read about her profile issue in a write up about Notorious but can't remember the source. I have also heard from a fairly reliable source that Isabelle Huppert has/had a clause in her contract about the ratio of profile shots.

Jonathan S

#37 Post by Jonathan S » Sun May 05, 2013 9:54 am

Dirk Bogarde often used to go on about how both he and Loretta Young were nearly always photographed in left profile. He claimed the sets for some of his earlier British films were built to allow this.

antnield

#38 Post by antnield » Wed May 08, 2013 2:25 pm

JOURNEY TO ITALY (DVD + Blu-ray)

A film by Roberto Rossellini

Widely regarded as Roberto Rossellini's greatest achievement, Journey to Italy was the culminating masterpiece of the Italian neo-realism and the film that inspired the French new wave. Voted as one of the Top 50 films ever made in the 2012 Sight & Sight Critics Poll, this stunning restoration is finally released on Blu-ray for the first time as part of this Dual Format Edition.

Ingrid Bergman (Notorious, Stromboli) and George Sanders (All About Eve, Rebecca) play Katherine and Alex Joyce, and English married couple who travel to Italy to oversee the sale of a villa. Unused to each other's company, the couple argue and quarrel as their differences in taste and temperament drive them to separation.

Beautifully shot on location throughout Italy, including the streets and museums of Naples, the island of Capri and the ruins of Pompeii, Journey to Italy was considered a masterpiece by many of the leading French new wave critics-turned-filmmakers. This long awaited restoration offers UK audiences a chance to rediscover a profoundly moving masterpiece.

Special Features

- Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition
- Alternative Italian language version
- Feature-length Laura Mulvey audio commentary
- Extensive booklet with essays and film notes

bdlover

#39 Post by bdlover » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:38 am

Delayed until December :|

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#40 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:39 am

Perhaps to aim to better the Criterion specs now that they're public?

frankiecrisp

#41 Post by frankiecrisp » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:57 am

Ive just had my pre order canceled by Amazon any idea why?

RossyG

#42 Post by RossyG » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:55 am

MovieMail have cancelled mine, too.

didi-5

#43 Post by didi-5 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:21 pm

Any word on why this has been pulled in dual-format? Amazon are still showing it as 'unavailable' but as with others here, have cancelled my pre-order.