Spring in a Small Town

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Tim

Spring in a Small Town

#1 Post by Tim » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:11 pm

Not sure whether this has been noted before, but Fei Mu's celebrated Spring in a Small Town (1948) is due to be released on DVD in February 2015, according to this press release from April:

The film has been newly restored, which is really something to look forward to, because the print used for the Cinema Epoch DVD is pretty challenging, to put it kindly.

The new restoration is also currently available on BFI Player.

EddieLarkin

Re: Spring in a Small Town

#2 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:27 pm

I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't come to Blu-ray (the "announcement" seems quite preliminary, so "DVD" may just be referring to home video in general). To those who have seen a screening of the restoration, does it look "good enough" for HD?

videozor

#3 Post by videozor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:35 pm

According to that press release: "A second major Chinese classic will be released in cinemas nationwide this summer".
Any idea what it might be? Thanks!

whaleallright

#4 Post by whaleallright » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:15 pm

the Cinema Epoch DVD (like all of their DVDs of pre-1949 Chinese films) was a boot taken from the existing Chinese VCDs, with some added filters that eliminated some of the most obvious pixelation at the expense of whatever detail was still present on the VCDs. the subtitle translation was also poor. there are much better versions—in picture and subtitle quality—in the torrentosphere. so this is most welcome.

new 35mm prints and DCPs from the China Film Archive, advertised as being from a recent restoration, have been playing festivals and cinematheques (including UCLA in October). I can't find any details of this restoration; can anyone find any? I know that the prints I saw of the film (in France and the USA) in the 2000s were both struck in the 1980s and left a great deal to be desired.

also, what is this? -- it came up on a Google search.

RobertB

#5 Post by RobertB » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:37 pm

I find a document saying BFI has The Godess as well. It sounds like the obvious choise to me.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#6 Post by Shrew » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:18 am

Jonah, Shanghai Restoration Project is a Chinese-American band blending electronic/hip-hop and traditional Chinese music. I think that's just a song they did inspired by the film. No actual film restoration involved.

Anyway, this release is certainly good news, and I hope we finally get some decent releases of classic Chinese films.

artfilmfan

#7 Post by artfilmfan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:37 am

I hope they will release Spring River Flows East.

(Edit: I had not read the document that RobertB referred to when I posted the above statement. After reading it, it seems that The Goddess will indeed be the second title that BFI will release)