Roberto Rossellini: The War Trilogy

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

kompromiss

Re: Roberto Rossellini: The War Trilogy

#76 Post by kompromiss » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:00 pm

It appears that BFI is going to re-release this set on August 7, 2017. Same content, even with the "Fully illustrated booklet". Something must be different from the Limited Edition, so maybe it's gonna be in standart amaray case, as opposed to digipack?

perkizitore

#77 Post by perkizitore » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Maybe it will feature Criterion's source for Germany Year Zero! :P

rapta

#78 Post by rapta » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:21 pm

kompromiss wrote:It appears that BFI is going to re-release this set on August 7, 2017. Same content, even with the "Fully illustrated booklet". Something must be different from the Limited Edition, so maybe it's gonna be in standart amaray case, as opposed to digipack?
Could just be that it's not numbered this time? I assume they've decided to reissue it on Blu-ray as Criterion have since released a 'rival' edition. Bit cheeky though, calling it 'limited edition' and then reissuing the exact same product a couple of years on...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#79 Post by tenia » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:06 pm

I suppose it will be exactly the same, minus the number. I remember some DVD releases in France being limited that way (the only thing missing in the 2nd printing was the number).

DeprongMori

#80 Post by DeprongMori » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:11 am

Does anyone know for certain what the differences are between the “limited” and “standard” editions of this set are?

TMDaines

#81 Post by TMDaines » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:45 am

Unique number printed on the back?

neilist

#82 Post by neilist » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:24 am

DeprongMori wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:11 am
Does anyone know for certain what the differences are between the “limited” and “standard” editions of this set are?
I think it's entirely packaging. The original limited version had a numbered side-opening slipcase, with the discs and booklet housed in a card fold-out sleeve. The reissued version has a top/bottom-opening slipcase, with the discs and booklet housed in a standard plastic sleeve.

Looking around online, there are currently photos of the original here and photos of the reissued version here.

The booklet in the reissue may be slightly smaller and/or have a bit less content than the original limited release?

UPDATE: I've just got out my own copy of the original limited version and can confirm that the 36-page booklet in it is small enough to fit inside a standard plastic case. There'd hence have been no reason to redesign it and so I suspect the reissue booklet will be identical to the original version.

ryannichols7

#83 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:51 pm

I just wanted to come in and praise the BFI's release for something else: while many point at the obvious superior transfer of Germany Year Zero and inclusion of L'Amore as the reasons to pick up this edition, the English dialogue on Paisà being subtitled was a lifesaving inclusion. I don't understand Criterion's hesitance to subtitle English dialogue in non-English films but was grateful the BFI did it - Paisà has tons of English dialogue and given the quality of the audio source, it can be harder to make out sometimes. was very grateful for this, this is a very essential companion release to the CC and I'm grateful it wasn't a full on limited edition so I could grab it years after the fact.

hearthesilence

#84 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:24 pm

Yeah, I'm glad I stuck with the BFI's edition too. I keep telling people to check their catalog out, there's quite a few that I'd take over the Criterion counterparts, and a whole lot that's not available on Blu-ray otherwise.