BFI (British Film Institute)

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

EddieLarkin

Re: BFI (British Film Institute)

#1201 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:11 am

Well I would hope so, but if they are doing their own release I think it's a bit of a mistake to not announce it now as they've likely already lost my sale to the FA set (couldn't pass up that bargain combo pack). I've made enquiries but can't get confirmation one way or the other. Even if they are though, any UK set may be missing the additional work David Shepard will be doing right up until the FA disc releases.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1202 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:21 am

For what it's worth, BFI was involved with the restoration.

MichaelB

#1203 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:35 am

swo17 wrote:For what it's worth, BFI was involved with the restoration.
Were they? They're not credited on my copy (the French Arte edition) - just Lobster Films, Cineteca di Bologna and Blackhawk Films (David Shepard).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1204 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:40 am

Hmmm...I believe that post I linked to was reposting information provided by someone at Blu-ray.com. I don't know anything more than that.

EddieLarkin

#1205 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:47 am

According to Beaver, the Divisa set credits the following:
There has obviously been some restoration done, and as the disc states The Chaplin Mutual Project with the co-operation of Cineteca Bologna, Lobster Films and Blackhawk Films. Also under the aegis of 'Association Chaplin'. Under each title screen it states 'New Restoration and special contents of this edition copyright of the Film Preservation Associates Inc. 2013". There are also screens stating support from Amitabh Bachchan, The George Lucas Family Foundation and the Material World Charitable Foundation (among others).
The BFI are noticeably absent even from the "support from" list.
swo17 wrote:Hmmm...I believe that post I linked to was reposting information provided by someone at Blu-ray.com. I don't know anything more than that.
Actually, I recall that it's from the Flicker Alley 2014 calendar. I just took a look at mine and sure enough the BFI are credited.

Stefan Andersson

#1206 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:24 am

Might the BFI want to continue their BBC gothic horror series?

Ideas:

Penda´s Fen
Red Shift
Vampires
Ghosts (1990s teleplays by Stephen Volk)

Also, though technically off-topic (not really horror, right?):
Rainy Day Women

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#1207 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:32 am

Stefan Andersson wrote:Might the BFI want to continue their BBC gothic horror series?

Ideas:

Penda´s Fen
Red Shift
Vampires
Ghosts (1990s teleplays by Stephen Volk)

Rainy Day Women
Although as Rainy day women was written by Dave Pirie the author of the BFI publication
A Heritage of Horror: The English Gothic Cinema, 1946-1972 it might increase its chances.

longstone

#1208 Post by longstone » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:42 am

Does anyone know what happened with the BFI Ozu releases ? there doesn't seem to have been any news at all since the splendid Gangster film set . There should be at least a couple more titles to go based on the original press release?
thanks

Stefan Andersson

#1209 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:59 am

Four colour films by Ozu have been restored in Japan recently alongside a new resto of Tokyo Story.

Perhaps the BFI could renegotiate and re-release those titles from the new masters?

EddieLarkin

#1210 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:34 am

longstone wrote:There should be at least a couple more titles to go based on the original press release?
6 more, in fact: Tokyo Chorus, Passing Fancy, A Story of Floating Weeds, An Inn in Tokyo, Record of a Tenement Gentleman and The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice. The surviving fragment of Fighting Friends Japanese Style and the short documentary Kagami jishi are also possible supplements.

Dr Amicus

#1211 Post by Dr Amicus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:29 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Stefan Andersson wrote:Might the BFI want to continue their BBC gothic horror series?

Rainy Day Women
Although as Rainy day women was written by Dave Pirie the author of the BFI publication
A Heritage of Horror: The English Gothic Cinema, 1946-1972 it might increase its chances.
A Heritage of Horror wasn't a BFI publication. The original edition was, I think, St Martin's Press and the second edition IB Tauris.

Pirie DID write the book for a BFI Education Pack on Hammer though.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#1212 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:25 am

Dr Amicus wrote:
A Heritage of Horror wasn't a BFI publication. The original edition was, I think, St Martin's Press and the second edition IB Tauris.
Pirie DID write the book for a BFI Education Pack on Hammer though.
Yes thanks for the correction of my conflation. RDW still worth a look though.

longstone

#1213 Post by longstone » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:18 am

Stefan Andersson wrote:Four colour films by Ozu have been restored in Japan recently alongside a new resto of Tokyo Story.

Perhaps the BFI could renegotiate and re-release those titles from the new masters?
They are screening an Autumn Afternoon at the South bank in May , I assume this is the new restoration ? so maybe there is something in that. I picked up the Japanese Bluray release of these and they seem to be an improvement on the BFI versions but they were pretty good anyway .
It would still be nice to see the BFI complete the set as originally announced though , before they start reissuing what is already out.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1214 Post by swo17 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:39 am

So the BFI Filmstore used to stock all kinds of obscure DVDs from foreign boutique labels like Re:voir, Lux, BAA, etc. But when I go to the site now, it looks like all that they have are BFI DVDs. Was this a recent policy change? If DVDs from other labels are still available, does anyone know where they can be found?

neilist

#1215 Post by neilist » Sat May 03, 2014 2:35 pm

swo17 wrote:So the BFI Filmstore used to stock all kinds of obscure DVDs from foreign boutique labels like Re:voir, Lux, BAA, etc. But when I go to the site now, it looks like all that they have are BFI DVDs. Was this a recent policy change? If DVDs from other labels are still available, does anyone know where they can be found?
I had a conversation with a staff member in the actual BFI Filmstore in London a few months ago after noticing a similar situation with the stock in there. Apparently it's due to certification reasons and as foreign DVDs haven't been rated by the BBFC, they shouldn't really be being stocked and sold by a UK store.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1216 Post by swo17 » Wed May 21, 2014 5:49 pm

swo17 wrote:So the BFI Filmstore used to stock all kinds of obscure DVDs from foreign boutique labels like Re:voir, Lux, BAA, etc. But when I go to the site now, it looks like all that they have are BFI DVDs. Was this a recent policy change? If DVDs from other labels are still available, does anyone know where they can be found?
I don't know how long this has been there, but I found an answer to my question on the BFI's website:
As we develop the online BFI shop, we have had to temporarily take down the artists’ film and video section, however we remain as dedicated as ever to providing customers with a comprehensive and diverse range of film and video works by artists!

Our range covers canonical works and avant-garde classics by Maya Deren, Kenneth Anger, Michael Snow or Kurt Kren; influential British artists working in film and video like Lis Rhodes, Malcolm Le Grice, Nicky Hamlyn, Sarah Pucill and last year’s Jarman Prize winner John Smith, to a younger generation of artists working with the moving image such as Emily Richardson, Ben Rivers, Shezad Dawood and Eija-Liisa Ahtila.

The BFI Shop stocks all new releases and selected back catalogue titles from DVD publishers like LUX, Re-Voir, Index DVD Edition, Lowave, Filmarmalade, RGB, JPR Ringier, as well as the Crossovers series produced by the Live Art Development Agency and a large number of DVD and books published by internationally renowned publishers.

Until we are ready with the new-look section, we will be happy to take your orders direct via 020 7815 1350 or bfishop@bfi.org.uk
Although I did just try to email that address and got an instant "delivery failure" notification.

L.A.

#1217 Post by L.A. » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:12 am

MichaelB

#1218 Post by MichaelB » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:56 am

Sam Dunn, head of BFI Video Publishing for the last six years (and the man primarily responsible for the Flipside strand) is giving a talk with the self-explanatory title 'The BFI Video Story' at the BFI Reuben Library on London's South Bank on Monday December 15th at 6.30.

More details here.

EddieLarkin

#1219 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:51 am

BFI to release a 4 film Carl Theodor Dreyer Blu-ray Box Set in Spring 2015, featuring Master of the House, Day of Wrath, Ordet, Gertrud, and a selection of shorts.

I've been wondering how 2015 was going to top 2014 for catalog releases. Now, I think I know.

TMDaines

#1220 Post by TMDaines » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:21 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:BFI to release a 4 film Carl Theodor Dreyer Blu-ray Box Set in Spring 2015, featuring Master of the House, Day of Wrath, Ordet, Gertrud, and a selection of shorts.

I've been wondering how 2015 was going to top 2014 for catalog releases. Now, I think I know.
Only this week I was lamenting the treatment that Master of the House received on what I assumed would be its one and only Blu-ray release.

Please, please, please give us Danish intertitles on this one, BFI. There is a mass of silent film aficionados that would be delighted.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1221 Post by Drucker » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:34 pm

Just watched Ordet for the first time in 5 years. In the interim, I became a devoted fan, watched all of his other films, read Dreyer In Double Reflection and finished My Only Great Passion this past week. Dreyer's genius is something I could ramble on about, but other, smarter people have done it better than I can.

Ordet truly is his masterpiece, and I'm hoping to jot down my thoughts today, but it's hard to write what I so strongly felt. And of course, feeling is what drives these films.

Jumping for joy, honestly, at the prospect of this.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1222 Post by Drucker » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:35 pm

Seriously, I literally finished Ordet not 40 minutes ago, came on the computer, and read this news. It's like something out of Ordet.

TMDaines

#1223 Post by TMDaines » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:54 pm

TMDaines wrote:
EddieLarkin wrote:BFI to release a 4 film Carl Theodor Dreyer Blu-ray Box Set in Spring 2015, featuring Master of the House, Day of Wrath, Ordet, Gertrud, and a selection of shorts.

Only this week I was lamenting the treatment that Master of the House received on what I assumed would be its one and only Blu-ray release.

Please, please, please give us Danish intertitles on this one, BFI. There is a mass of silent film aficionados that would be delighted.
BFI won't have Danish intertitles on their Master of the House Blu-ray: twitter.

Aunt Peg

#1224 Post by Aunt Peg » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:32 am

Just read in the recent edition of Film Comment that the BFI are restoring Derek Jarman's Sebastian.

Could that mean a Blu Ray or DVD release sometime in the future?

colinr0380

#1225 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:33 am

I certainly hope so! I guess this means that Second Sight do not have the rights to it any more? It would be great timing and an essential, if eye popping, watch for the upcoming Faith Film Project!