BFI (British Film Institute)

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

chatterjees

Re: BFI (British Film Institute)

#1201 Post by chatterjees » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:08 am

BFI just made my day. KUDOS to BFI :D Now I can totally forget about MoC's announcement.

Black Hat

#1202 Post by Black Hat » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:36 pm

Interesting that they went with a box set for Robbe-Grillet after the initial announcements last year. Suppose that explains the delay. Has anybody heard any buzz bout the American releases? Was going to pick those two up but I'm thinking I'll hold off until the BFI box comes out. They definitely took the wind out of Redemption's sails announcing this just before their first two releases.
Last edited by Black Hat on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knives

#1203 Post by knives » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:40 pm

I think by virtue of having more films, though missing out on four, the BFI is going to be the way to go unless some big upset happens.

antnield

#1204 Post by antnield » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:44 pm

MovieMail speak to Sam Dunn, head of BFI DVD.

Stefan Andersson

#1205 Post by Stefan Andersson » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Any hopes of seeing Bill Forsyth´s BBC TV fantasy Andrina on DVD?

RobertAltman

#1206 Post by RobertAltman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:53 pm

I asked the same question the day before you, in the thread for That Sinking Feeling. Since it's not an extra on the Sinking Feeling disc, I'm hoping it will appear as a future Flipside title. Has anyone seen it? I can find practically no information about this movie. Comfort and Joy should get a new release too. I never picked up the now OOP UK disc which is going for silly prices on amazon.

MichaelB

#1207 Post by MichaelB » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:03 pm

I saw it when it was broadcast, but remember very little about it.

GaryC

#1208 Post by GaryC » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:17 pm

MichaelB wrote:I saw it when it was broadcast, but remember very little about it.
Same here. It still exists in the archive, though that's not surprising for a production from 1981.

MovieMail

#1209 Post by MovieMail » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:47 pm

antnield wrote:MovieMail speak to Sam Dunn, head of BFI DVD.
Cheers for posting our interview with Sam, some interesting hints at the release of "long-unseen but eagerly-awaited BBC titles and at least one Blu-ray premiere of a British cinema classic" as part of their upcoming sci-fi season.

Also the good news that That Sinking Feeling is being released with the original soundtrack.

TMDaines

#1210 Post by TMDaines » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:34 am

EddieLarkin wrote:The Chaplin Mutuals on the Divisa Blu-ray, over at Beaver.
Presumably we can expect a release of this from the BFI, especially as their current Chaplin Mutual DVDs have gone OOP?

EddieLarkin

#1211 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:11 am

Well I would hope so, but if they are doing their own release I think it's a bit of a mistake to not announce it now as they've likely already lost my sale to the FA set (couldn't pass up that bargain combo pack). I've made enquiries but can't get confirmation one way or the other. Even if they are though, any UK set may be missing the additional work David Shepard will be doing right up until the FA disc releases.

swo17

#1212 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:21 am

For what it's worth, BFI was involved with the restoration.

MichaelB

#1213 Post by MichaelB » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:35 am

swo17 wrote:For what it's worth, BFI was involved with the restoration.
Were they? They're not credited on my copy (the French Arte edition) - just Lobster Films, Cineteca di Bologna and Blackhawk Films (David Shepard).

swo17

#1214 Post by swo17 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:40 am

Hmmm...I believe that post I linked to was reposting information provided by someone at Blu-ray.com. I don't know anything more than that.

EddieLarkin

#1215 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:47 am

According to Beaver, the Divisa set credits the following:
There has obviously been some restoration done, and as the disc states The Chaplin Mutual Project with the co-operation of Cineteca Bologna, Lobster Films and Blackhawk Films. Also under the aegis of 'Association Chaplin'. Under each title screen it states 'New Restoration and special contents of this edition copyright of the Film Preservation Associates Inc. 2013". There are also screens stating support from Amitabh Bachchan, The George Lucas Family Foundation and the Material World Charitable Foundation (among others).
The BFI are noticeably absent even from the "support from" list.
swo17 wrote:Hmmm...I believe that post I linked to was reposting information provided by someone at Blu-ray.com. I don't know anything more than that.
Actually, I recall that it's from the Flicker Alley 2014 calendar. I just took a look at mine and sure enough the BFI are credited.

Stefan Andersson

#1216 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:24 am

Might the BFI want to continue their BBC gothic horror series?

Ideas:

Penda´s Fen
Red Shift
Vampires
Ghosts (1990s teleplays by Stephen Volk)

Also, though technically off-topic (not really horror, right?):
Rainy Day Women

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#1217 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:32 am

Stefan Andersson wrote:Might the BFI want to continue their BBC gothic horror series?

Ideas:

Penda´s Fen
Red Shift
Vampires
Ghosts (1990s teleplays by Stephen Volk)

Rainy Day Women
Although as Rainy day women was written by Dave Pirie the author of the BFI publication
A Heritage of Horror: The English Gothic Cinema, 1946-1972 it might increase its chances.

longstone

#1218 Post by longstone » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:42 am

Does anyone know what happened with the BFI Ozu releases ? there doesn't seem to have been any news at all since the splendid Gangster film set . There should be at least a couple more titles to go based on the original press release?
thanks

Stefan Andersson

#1219 Post by Stefan Andersson » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:59 am

Four colour films by Ozu have been restored in Japan recently alongside a new resto of Tokyo Story.

Perhaps the BFI could renegotiate and re-release those titles from the new masters?

EddieLarkin

#1220 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:34 am

longstone wrote:There should be at least a couple more titles to go based on the original press release?
6 more, in fact: Tokyo Chorus, Passing Fancy, A Story of Floating Weeds, An Inn in Tokyo, Record of a Tenement Gentleman and The Flavor of Green Tea over Rice. The surviving fragment of Fighting Friends Japanese Style and the short documentary Kagami jishi are also possible supplements.

Dr Amicus

#1221 Post by Dr Amicus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:29 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Stefan Andersson wrote:Might the BFI want to continue their BBC gothic horror series?

Rainy Day Women
Although as Rainy day women was written by Dave Pirie the author of the BFI publication
A Heritage of Horror: The English Gothic Cinema, 1946-1972 it might increase its chances.
A Heritage of Horror wasn't a BFI publication. The original edition was, I think, St Martin's Press and the second edition IB Tauris.

Pirie DID write the book for a BFI Education Pack on Hammer though.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#1222 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:25 am

Dr Amicus wrote:
A Heritage of Horror wasn't a BFI publication. The original edition was, I think, St Martin's Press and the second edition IB Tauris.
Pirie DID write the book for a BFI Education Pack on Hammer though.
Yes thanks for the correction of my conflation. RDW still worth a look though.

longstone

#1223 Post by longstone » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:18 am

Stefan Andersson wrote:Four colour films by Ozu have been restored in Japan recently alongside a new resto of Tokyo Story.

Perhaps the BFI could renegotiate and re-release those titles from the new masters?
They are screening an Autumn Afternoon at the South bank in May , I assume this is the new restoration ? so maybe there is something in that. I picked up the Japanese Bluray release of these and they seem to be an improvement on the BFI versions but they were pretty good anyway .
It would still be nice to see the BFI complete the set as originally announced though , before they start reissuing what is already out.

swo17

#1224 Post by swo17 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:39 am

So the BFI Filmstore used to stock all kinds of obscure DVDs from foreign boutique labels like Re:voir, Lux, BAA, etc. But when I go to the site now, it looks like all that they have are BFI DVDs. Was this a recent policy change? If DVDs from other labels are still available, does anyone know where they can be found?

neilist

#1225 Post by neilist » Sat May 03, 2014 2:35 pm

swo17 wrote:So the BFI Filmstore used to stock all kinds of obscure DVDs from foreign boutique labels like Re:voir, Lux, BAA, etc. But when I go to the site now, it looks like all that they have are BFI DVDs. Was this a recent policy change? If DVDs from other labels are still available, does anyone know where they can be found?
I had a conversation with a staff member in the actual BFI Filmstore in London a few months ago after noticing a similar situation with the stock in there. Apparently it's due to certification reasons and as foreign DVDs haven't been rated by the BBFC, they shouldn't really be being stocked and sold by a UK store.