It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 am 

Good news for fans of Mark Cousins - BFI just announced as distributor for his new film Stockholm My Love starring Neneh Cherry in her first acting role: http://www.screendaily.com/news/bfi-tak ... 99.article

Pretty much guaranteed a DF edition for that one then, since they released I Am Belfast (which I still need to pick up). Probably not 'til this time next year though, seeing as the theatrical release is being planned for mid-2017.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:38 pm 

Incredible news - apparently the BFI have 'offered' to release Lino Brocka's MANILA IN THE CLAWS OF LIGHT [MAYNILA] in the UK (with Criterion acquiring it for the US/Canada, and Carlotta interested in acquiring it for France):

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/20475 ... as-maynila

After the rumours a few years ago I was hoping we'd see some movement on Brocka's restored features soon, but I was under the impression Eureka would try and release it over here. After the BFI's release of Black Girl and Second Run's Mysterious Object at Noon, I supposed Eureka's 'partnership' with WCP had ended (prematurely, some may say), so it does make sense that BFI are now the potential distributors of this film.

No word when we'll see it exactly but I'm guessing sometime in the new year, and I also hope we get Brocka's INSIANG too (which is also ready - there are clips/trailers on YouTube). BFI would be wise to do a double-set in fact, unless Eureka/Second Run/Arrow are interested in that one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:09 am 

Manila in the Claws of Light and Insiang together would be fantastic. Add Manuel Conde's Genghis Khan as a third feature in the same package and this would be stunning.

Last edited by L.A. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:38 am 

Some more mind-blowing news today - the BFI are releasing Scorsese's WHO'S THAT KNOCKING AT MY DOOR? and ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE in the new year as Dual Format Editions!

Incredible news, I'm sure you'd all agree. I wonder if this means BFI can get hold of more Warner Bros titles, since other than Criterion they seem to be the only label who can manage to sub-license from them (having previously released Gaslight, The Devils, Revolution etc). I guess they'd have to drum up enough support from associated parties, and in this case they're having a whole Scorsese season...

PS: in that article there's also mention of the 4K-restored The Age of Innocence, and being a Sony title I assume Eureka or Criterion will be all over that (with an outside chance of new label Indicator, but I'd be surprised).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:03 am 

Terrific news to wake up to! Thanks for bringing this to my attention rapta!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:30 am 

No worries! I'm as joyed as you were when I read this. I'm now very intrigued to see which 20 films Scorsese has hand-picked to show at the BFI season. Apparently they'll all be from The Film Foundation and World Cinema Project, and I wonder if some of them will subsequently get released on Blu-ray by the BFI, Eureka, Second Run, Arrow etc.

Ecstatic about BFI's upcoming slate if it already includes Scorsese (x2), Erice, and possibly even Brocka! Oh, and Clouzot's The Wages of Fear is finally almost ready too. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:06 pm 

rapta wrote:
PS: in that article there's also mention of the 4K-restored The Age of Innocence....
I thought that Scorsese said Sony couldn't find the original negative?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:14 am 

Scorsese says it wa made from the OCN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq_NoeTP3U0
(restoration details start at 6 min 30)
OCN scanned at 4K wet gat at Cineric, then the digital files were sent to Colorworks for a 4K color-grading, and then to Presad for restoration.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:01 am 

Okay, just confirmed to me that the BFI have both Brocka's Manila in the Claws of Light and Insiang and will be released together in a double-set in March. Full specs tomorrow!

Also, The Wages of Fear will be coming sometime in the first half of 2017, and The Glass Shield is definitely now a Dual Format Edition again. Full Q1 2017 announcements tomorrow..I know I'm excited!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:35 am 

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
rapta wrote:
PS: in that article there's also mention of the 4K-restored The Age of Innocence....
I thought that Scorsese said Sony couldn't find the original negative?

I thought the EU blu-rays were sourced from that 4K restoration?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:18 am 

Announcements for Q1 2017

January:

EL SUR (Dual Format Edition)
THE GLASS SHIELD (Dual Format Edition)
CHARLIE CHAPLIN: THE ESSANAY COMEDIES (Blu-ray)
CHARLIE CHAPLIN: THE ESSANAY COMEDIES (DVD)

February:

THE CRYING GAME (Dual Format Edition)
THE SPRING RIVER FLOWS EAST (DVD)
FRANTZ FANON: BLACK SKIN WHITE MASK (Dual Format Edition)

March:

LINO BROCKA: TWO FILMS [MANILA IN THE CLAWS OF LIGHT + INSIANG] (Limited Dual Format Edition)
ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE (DVD)
WHO'S THAT KNOCKING AT MY DOOR? (DVD)

TBC Q1/Q2 2017:

THE WAGES OF FEAR (Limited Dual Format Edition)

Update: both Scorsese titles now DVD-only, unfortunately.

Last edited by rapta on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:34 pm 

I hope Black Skin White Mask doesn't get delayed any further; been waiting years for this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:54 am 

And I hope this means Criterion will attend to After Hours ahead of Alice or Who's That Knocking, if they intend to release any Warner Scorsese, that is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:20 pm 

The BFI has just announced its April releases:

Quote:
17 April sees the first ever DVD and Blu-ray release of Imperial War Museum’s German Concentration Camps Factual Survey.

This hugely important film documents the liberation of Belsen and other concentration camps by Allied forces in Spring 1945. The production was originally shelved by the Ministry of Information in 1945, before being restored and reconstructed by IWM in 2014. The story of this extraordinary documentary was itself the subject of the Emmy-winning film Night Will Fall (which was released by the BFI in 2014). This Special Archival Edition has been produced in collaboration with IWM and contains the museum’s restoration, plus substantial extra features and some previously unseen footage that help to contextualise the film; a perfect-bound book, and commentary.

Out on 24 April will be the first ever Blu-ray release of the celebrated, low-budget, British movie Letter to Brezhnev.

Set in 1980s Liverpool, it tells the tale of two local women who meet a couple of Russian sailors on a night out. Made by writer Frank Clarke and director Chris Bernard, this newly remastered comedy is an evocative portrait of Thatcher-era Britain with a wonderful cast including Margi Clarke, Alexandra Pigg, Peter Firth and Alfred Molina. The Dual Format Edition will feature a making-of documentary, new filmed interviews with actors Alexandra Pigg and Peter Firth, three audio commentaries featuring Alexandra Pigg, Margi Clarke and Chris Bernard, and a fully illustrated booklet that will include a new essay by Frank Clarke.

We also make available, on 24 April, two silent rediscoveries that have recently premiered at the BFI London Film Festival:

The Informer is one of the finest British films of the silent era. This new restoration by the BFI National Archive includes a new score by violist/composer Garth Knox. This Dual Format Edition also includes the sound version that was made alongside the silent version in 1929.

The Goddess (DVD) is an iconic silent classic from China, featuring a devastating performance from one of the most famous Chinese actresses of the period, Ruan Lingyu. This will be the first time the film has been made available in the UK.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:00 pm 

Hi guys,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this but just wondering where UK-based people are pre-ordering/buying their BFI releases these days? Amazon has pre-orders at pretty high prices, for instance German Concentration Camps Factual Survey is currently £29, the Brockas are £28, Letter to Brezhnev is £20. Pre-orders used to be more competitively priced than this, but maybe my memory is quite long here and perhaps much has changed while I've not been paying attention. Any advice/ideas would be appreciated, thanks :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:20 pm 

Some upcoming BFI titles, according to BBFC submissions and various screenings/press releases:

J'ACCUSE (Abel Gance, 1938)
PEPPERMINT SODA (Diane Kurys, 1977)
HOWARD'S END (James Ivory, 1992)
MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE (Stephen Frears, 1985)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:47 pm 

Once again, it pays to not buy titles from Olive Films.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:50 pm 

Huh, I was really expecting MoC to pick up the Cohen Merchant Ivory titles. Will be interesting to see if they'll all end up at the BFI or if it will split among the UK labels.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:26 am 

Another recent BBFC submission is the 49-minute short The Orchard End Murder, though no announcement yet as to whether that's a main feature (presumably as a Flipside release) or an extra.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:10 pm 

J'Accuse, Peppermint Soda and Orchard End Murders are all being prepped for pre-order on Amazon UK, with a list of specs and everything. Orchard End Murders will be part of the Flipside label.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:57 am 

Any chance of a BFI DVD release of Richard Eyre´s and Trevor Griffiths´ Country (1981)?

BFI Southbank screened it recently:
http://www.illuminationsmedia.co.uk/cou ... sterpiece/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53