Il bidone

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

Gregory

Il bidone

#1 Post by Gregory » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:29 pm

Il bidone

Federico Fellini's 1955 film Il bidone (The Swindlers) sits between La strada (1954) and Nights of Cabiria (1957) in his 'trilogy of loneliness' and displays the hallmarks of his emerging talent.

Augusto (played by American actor Broderick Crawford) is the leader of a gang of small-time con men who travel around the countryside in various disguises, elaborately tricking the ignorant and poor out of their savings. His accomplices are Picasso (Richard Basehart), who is only trying to earn a decent living (though by indecent means) to support his wife and small daughter, and the charming Roberto (Franco Fabrizi). The tone at first is light-hearted, and then it becomes sombre as the true cruelty of the swindlers' tricks becomes apparent. The trio's lack of morality is tested when Augusto is reunited with his estranged daughter and Picasso is faced with the disapproving patience of his loving wife (played by Fellini's wife, Giulietta Masina).

Featuring excellent performances from Crawford, Basehart and Masina, set against a colourful backdrop of sharply observed characters and exuberant music, this social drama is by turns comic, bitter and tragic.

Extras:
- Exclusive interview with Fellini's assistant director Dominique Delouche.
- Stills gallery.
- 12-page illustrated booklet containing film notes by film historian Geoffrey Nowell-Smith, film review, biographies and an extract from Dominique Delouche's diary, written during filming.

ellipsis7

BFI: Il bidone

#2 Post by ellipsis7 » Mon May 16, 2005 11:43 am

So IL BIDONE will be coming July or August..

Narshty

Il Bidone

#3 Post by Narshty » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:52 pm

Gregory wrote:I remember reading somewhere about a fuller cut of the long-butchered Il Bidone that had surfaced. Last year the National Film Theater screened Il Bidone but it was the same old 90-min. version. I wonder if there's any hope that this year's DVD will be anything else.
ellipsis7 wrote:So IL BIDONE will be coming July or August...
I thought it might interest some here that the BFI's upcoming DVD of Fellini's Il Bidone runs a generous 108 minutes (confirmed by the BBFC) - taking into account PAL speedup, that means around 112 minutes, around 20 minutes longer than Image's DVD. The film had around an hour hacked out of it by the distributor before it was released, so the recovery of this footage at least is cause for celebration.

ellipsis7

IL BIDONE

#4 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:38 am

BFI IL BIDONE disc looks very good, nice transfer of a clean crisp source print, and couple of illuminating pieces in the inlay booklet... Film is great little known Fellini, well worth catching, and for my money, one of his best...

Dylan

#5 Post by Dylan » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:30 pm

Narshty wrote:http://www.moviemail-online.co.uk/films/13078

I thought it might interest some here that the BFI's upcoming DVD of Fellini's Il Bidone runs a generous 108 minutes (confirmed by the BBFC) - taking into account PAL speedup, that means around 112 minutes, around 20 minutes longer than Image's DVD. The film had around an hour hacked out of it by the distributor before it was released, so the recovery of this footage at least is cause for celebration.
I've seen "Il Bidone" in its truncated 90 minute version released in R1 by Image Entertainment (now out of print) three times, and even in this state (where it's very obvious that there are many scenes missing) I think it's without a doubt one of the Fellini's masterpieces and also one of my favorite tragedies.

I wrote an appreciative thread here on this board about "Il Bidone" sometime last year (or it could've been two years ago, whenever it was it isn't here anymore), wherein I spoke of the different versions, some research I did about what was deleted, and how this is the only Fellini film that he didn't have complete control over. I've heard a shower of varying opinions on this film, mostly very positive, but not all of them.

Those who responded to my thread a year or two ago liked the film. I also showed it to my father, not a fan of but a casual viewer of foreign films who has seen and loved many Fellini's over the years, and somewhere in the middle of the film he said that this is one of Fellini's best works. A friend of mine online saw it sometime last year and liked it, saying that the real downer ending sort of reminded him of "Los Olvidados."

I instantly loved it from the first viewing and have always hailed it as one of his best. The characters are all very beautifully portraid with a lot of sentiment and feeling, I really believed them and felt their emotions, greedy fulfillment, and moral confusion over the tragic swindling they were doing to numerous poor farm families. Beautiful nightclub scenes and crazy party scenes are absolutely outstanding with Nino Rota's brilliant jazz/dance music. The film also comes at a time where Fellini was experimenting with neo-realism (before he latched off into pure surrealism) and was attempting to artistically craft his ideas around stories that could really happen, and in this case, with characters that anybody could know. In that, it remains one of his most realistic films. Broderick Crawford is wonderfully broody and gruff while (like Zampano in La Stada) he remains sympathetic because of Fellini's incredible ability to show us the humanity behind somebody as unrulingly cruel as Crawford, who utterly falls into inescapable guilt and regret by the end. It's been a year and a half since I last saw this because I've been waiting very patiently for the restored version (which has played at Fellini retrospecives for the last two or three years) to become accessible, and it's a blessing that it is.

The only shortcomings of this film in its 90 minute version is that it's far too short, and after the first two acts, the characters played by Basehart, Fabrizi, and especially Masina just sort of disappear from the narrative, but this will no longer be a shortcoming when all is revealed on the BFI (and even the short length of the 90 minute version is forgiveable because of the magnificent ending we're given, but the additional scenes I've forever read about will be absolute revelations, like where Crawford's character visits Masina after finally getting out of jail, as well as numerous scenes dealing with the personal lives of the other characters, which would make the build up to the ending so much more powerful because we gradually focus on Crawford rather than, as in the 90 minute version, instantly closing in on him).

Unfortunately, because of my lack of funds lately, I haven't been able to buy the BFI R2 of the restored "Il Bidone," but I absolutely can't wait to see this film properly for the first time (and with restored picture quality on top of that, the Image release looks pretty muddy). When I do, I'll post my thoughts here. But it's a great film, far from sub-par, and I imagine the extended version on the BFI DVD is wonderful. I can't recommend it enough.

Dylan
Last edited by Dylan on Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.