Kenneth Anger's Magick Lantern Cycle

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

david hare

Re: Kenneth Anger's Magick Lantern Cycle

#26 Post by david hare » Wed May 27, 2009 2:43 am

From Amazon, at least a one week plus delay on this.

Rats!!! Do something Michael!!

What A Disgrace

#27 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu May 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Well, mine just shipped :)

My very first Blu Ray. I'm so excited. And to think that two months ago, I balked at the idea of owning a BR player until another two to five years.

stereo

#28 Post by stereo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:43 pm

Got my blu-ray set today; just paging through it at the moment --it looks great. Definitely all region blu-ray. The second disc with the Anger Me doc. (which is great as I'm watching it now: interviews with Mekas and Anger) is standard DVD in PAL (not sure if it is region coded). The restoration demo. goes to lengths to show how 'judder' problems were fixed. Anger's short film on the art of Crowley is fun too; music over the art, with a nice shout out in the credits to Jimmy Page for use of some of Crowley's art. For me this is a double dip on the Fantoma sets, yet well worth it if you have the Blu-Ray and region-free (PAL/NTSC converter) equipment. I think if you love these films you don't need any convincing from me.

Borowczyk76

#29 Post by Borowczyk76 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi! I live in Canada and ordered the double BD set and it has arrived today. Only trouble is, it won't play on my PS3. I had my fingers crossed that since it was a Region free release, the PS3 would be able to play it. Anyone have a solution? I absolutely love these films and wanted to upgrade from my Fantoma DVDs. Consdering these will most likely never see the light of day on BD here, what can I do? Even if this means buying a PAL/NTSC compatible BD player, I just want a solution... Anybody?

MichaelB

#30 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Beaver (Blu-ray - includes comparison with Fantoma DVDs)

Adam

#31 Post by Adam » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:04 pm

Ah, for the day when I will take the plunge into Blu-Ray!

I wish Beaver could rewrite ths sentence in which he manages two grammatical errors in only six words.

"There is, obviously, far less artifacts."
Should be
"There are, obviously, far fewer artifacts."

MichaelB

#32 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Adam wrote:Ah, for the day when I will take the plunge into Blu-Ray!

I wish Beaver could rewrite ths sentence in which he manages two grammatical errors in only six words.

Should be
Artefacts.

david hare

#33 Post by david hare » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:32 pm

Michael,I think they spell it artifacts in the States.

I went through my Blu BFI disc last night and I need to add some comments to Gary's - yes the entire presentation is more immersive and color has greater saturation.

Extremely importantly to me the telecine team obviously took complaints about the frame judder in the Fantoma KKK on board and have almost totally straightened this out. What we now have is almost flawlessly smooth (as it used to be) moving camera but given the opening four or five shots are segued with dissolves, there is as slight frame jump as each dissolve resolves into the next image - but the improvement is physically palpable. The Fantoma version was unendurable.

BUT - and probably only 1080p rez could make it so screamingly obvious - the source print for Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome is pronouncedly softer than it should be, right from the opning title cards. Apart from slightly deeper color stauration the BFI and Fantoma are virtaully identical despite the resolution differences. This is hugely disappointing to me, and while no fault of the BFI transfer, it points to a clearly less than perfect source print, or some problem with the original Fantoma telecine.

Michael do the telecine guys there have any comments about working with this title?

foggy eyes

#34 Post by foggy eyes » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:37 pm

david hare wrote:Extremely importantly to me the telecine team obviously took complaints about the frame judder in the Fantoma KKK on board and have almost totally straightened this out. What we now have is almost flawlessly smooth (as it used to be) moving camera but given the opening four or five shots are segued with dissolves, there is as slight frame jump as each dissolve resolves into the next image - but the improvement is physically palpable. The Fantoma version was unendurable.
Woohoo! This is great news. Thanks, David.

I'm a bit annoyed that I've missed the pre-order price for the set now, but will make a mental note to pick it up when it crops up in a sale.

stereo

#35 Post by stereo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Borowczyk76 wrote:Hi! I live in Canada and ordered the double BD set and it has arrived today. Only trouble is, it won't play on my PS3. I had my fingers crossed that since it was a Region free release, the PS3 would be able to play it. Anyone have a solution? I absolutely love these films and wanted to upgrade from my Fantoma DVDs. Consdering these will most likely never see the light of day on BD here, what can I do? Even if this means buying a PAL/NTSC compatible BD player, I just want a solution... Anybody?
Hmmm. I use a PS3 as my blu-ray player and had no problems playing it. Try updating your firmware through the internet connection. It is region free. However, the second disc (Anger Me) will not play in the PS3 as it is standard def PAL. You need dvd player with a PAL/NTSC converter for that.

Gary Tooze

#36 Post by Gary Tooze » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:01 pm

Should be
Gee Adam. You have my heartfelt apologies. It obviously must have irked you immensely to actually be bothered posting it in this Forum.
See, I made a decision a long time ago to post a lot of information rather than worry about crossing "t"s or dotting "i"s. I realize this has left my reviews up for spelling and grammar criticism - so be it. I suppose I could simply post one review a week - and have it be closer to ideal but I'm sure the surfers to DVDBeaver would rather have me disseminate multiple reviews and comparisons. I realize doing both would be 'the perfect world' - but I don't have the resources. Hopefully, you'll accept my forgiveness. It has been corrected. I'm sure if you look closely enough you'll see 1000's of other such errors - but, like in this case, I'm sure you gather my inference.
P.S. I’m sure you meant ‘rewrite this sentence” not “ths”. But I won’t be picky.
Regards,

Adam

#37 Post by Adam » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:50 pm

Gary Tooze wrote:
Should be
Gee Adam. You have my heartfelt apologies. It obviously must have irked you immensely to actually be bothered posting it in this Forum.
See, I made a decision a long time ago to post a lot of information rather than worry about crossing "t"s or dotting "i"s. I realize this has left my reviews up for spelling and grammar criticism - so be it. I suppose I could simply post one review a week - and have it be closer to ideal but I'm sure the surfers to DVDBeaver would rather have me disseminate multiple reviews and comparisons. I realize doing both would be 'the perfect world' - but I don't have the resources. Hopefully, you'll accept my forgiveness. It has been corrected. I'm sure if you look closely enough you'll see 1000's of other such errors - but, like in this case, I'm sure you gather my inference.
P.S. I’m sure you meant ‘rewrite this sentence” not “ths”. But I won’t be picky.
Regards,
Thank you for the fix. A very appropriate reply. Not sure why that one irked me enough to comment on it.

MichaelB

#38 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:54 am

DVD Outsider - the longest review by some distance.

Toxicologist

#39 Post by Toxicologist » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:42 am

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with the 'Anger Me' DVD disc in the package?
I've played mine on a standalone Blu-Ray player, my Toshiba Multi-region DVD player and my laptop DVD ROM drive and whilst the disc loads up...when i press the 'Play Film' option...the screen disappears in a clock like fashion and then screen goes blank and goes back to the default players menu screen?

MichaelB

#40 Post by MichaelB » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:07 am

I'm playing mine on my MacBook right now - it works fine.

For the record, this was disc two in the Blu-ray package, but I believe it's identical to the one in the DVD set (economies of scale make this a bit of a no-brainer).

Toxicologist

#41 Post by Toxicologist » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:25 pm

Ok, thanks for confirming that...guess it'll have to go back to Amazon then.

antnield

#42 Post by antnield » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:02 pm

Toxicologist wrote:Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with the 'Anger Me' DVD disc in the package?
I've played mine on a standalone Blu-Ray player, my Toshiba Multi-region DVD player and my laptop DVD ROM drive and whilst the disc loads up...when i press the 'Play Film' option...the screen disappears in a clock like fashion and then screen goes blank and goes back to the default players menu screen?
I had the same problem... but could access the doc fine via the "scene select" option.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#43 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri May 14, 2010 8:28 am

What's the difference between owning this set on Fantoma and the two sets of Anger films that Fantoma already released? I was finally getting around to Volume 2 when I saw this set.

Zot!

#44 Post by Zot! » Fri May 14, 2010 12:41 pm

Just a combo pack. The excellent blu-ray of all the films is only thru BFI for now...

MichaelB

#45 Post by MichaelB » Fri May 14, 2010 1:15 pm

Zot! wrote:Just a combo pack. The excellent blu-ray of all the films is only thru BFI for now...
Yes, that's right. The BFI's Blu-ray release was actually sourced from Fantoma's masters, but underwent additional clean-up before authoring. At present, it's unquestionably the best release worldwide - and the Blu-ray disc is region-free and 1080p throughout, so should work on any player. (The extras DVD is encoded for PAL video, but should work on any PC/Mac even if your standalone player can't handle it).

NilbogSavant

#46 Post by NilbogSavant » Fri May 14, 2010 7:17 pm

It's worth upgrading for the non-shaky Kustom Kar Kommandos alone really.

Lino
"Without obsession, life is nothing"

#47 Post by Lino » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:08 pm

Can anyone please tell the name of the first Vivaldi piece that plays at the beginning of Eaux D'Artifice? I really want to know and I've been searching high and low for it with no luck. Anyone? Please?

colinr0380

#48 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:08 pm

It sounds like it is from the Four Seasons, the second movement of Autumn - Adagio molto

While I think Eaux d'Artifice is totally breathtaking throughout, I think that opening is particularly nice - the fragile beauty of the music introducing us to this lady wandering through her watery world. The long held sustained notes creates a mournful feeling, and the way the music sounds as if it is stepping down as it continues is beautifully parallelled with the lady walking down the stone steps with the little mini-waterfalls of the stream next to it, and those slow motion shots of the water droplets spraying from the fountain - so beautiful and yet part of a constant cycle of loss.

Which then goes into the third movement which is a little more processional and joyful, enjoying the ephemerality of it all.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rowan

#49 Post by Rowan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:13 pm

Yes - it's the Autumn slow movement, but with a rather free interpretation of the continuo part. I think Vivaldi might have recycled the movement elsewhere, but I can't remember offhand.

nolanoe

#50 Post by nolanoe » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:06 am

Just got this in the mail the other day, and I must say it is absolutely astonishing!! Great quality, great extras, great audio commentary.

And, seriously, this DVD changed my views on Anger. I used to only know VHS-versions of his films. In this remastered version, they look absolutely stunning and beautiful!!