The Future of Home Video

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
nicolas

Re: The Future of Home Video

#826 Post by nicolas » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:09 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:51 pm
One of my absolute dream projects foundered because the filmmaker's direct descendants had, as you say, a wildly inflated estimation of the work under consideration.

We were in full agreement as to the films' colossal historical importance, but sadly I knew from first-hand experience with a 35mm revival that we were talking niche audiences, so it wasn't just pessimistic guesswork on my part - I knew for certain that the films weren't worth anywhere near as much commercially as was being demanded. And I see that nobody else has picked up that particular baton since I reluctantly abandoned the project well over a decade ago.

(I'm not naming the filmmaker because I haven't given up hope yet.)
I think I know which filmmaker you’re referring to and won’t name them either out of respect but yes, it’s a major shame that the descendants are that stubborn. Maybe they think that everyone in the industry has Hollywood resources and waiting on the one perfect deal proves them right in the end. I wonder what the filmmaker thought about all this. :(

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#827 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:50 am

Eustache was such a case, and I still wonder what made his son change his mind (or if somebody finally manage to gather the amount of money he was asking for).

JSC

#828 Post by JSC » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:42 am

The Guardian weighs in on the continuing survival of physical media.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2024/m ... r-our-dvds

thirtyframesasecond

#829 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:41 pm

JSC wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:42 am

Did the writer ask on here about this topic - "... I posted on some online forums for movie buffs, asking if anyone still bought physical media and wanted to talk."

criterionsnob

#830 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:06 pm

I do like this quote from 'Ken in Seattle': “I’ve kind of lost all my interest in visiting Best Buy at all,” he said. Physical media was “kind of like their Costco hotdog”.
Last edited by criterionsnob on Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TechnicolorAcid

#831 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:26 pm

thirtyframesasecond wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:41 pm
JSC wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:42 am

Did the writer ask on here about this topic - "... I posted on some online forums for movie buffs, asking if anyone still bought physical media and wanted to talk."
I don’t think so but I do know he did ask around on the Boutique Blu-Ray subreddit a while back iirc.

Matt

#832 Post by Matt » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:11 pm

The photo of “Amanda Bowman’s DVD collection” is giving me agita. She has sections for directors complete with shelf dividers, but the discs themselves are in neither chronological nor alphabetical order. Mad lass!

onedimension

#833 Post by onedimension » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:12 pm

Speaking of home DVD collections, is there a thread to talk about shelving strategy? Is this a safe place to discuss?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#834 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:22 pm

colinr0380

#835 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

That was an interesting aggregator article of all the current thinking around the home video scene (including the Blockbuster stuff and that French Connection controversy on streaming channels), although just as weird for puncturing into our weirdly insular physical media bubble as the DVD Beaver call out that has just gone on is this article namechecking and interviewing Jesse Nelson and DiabolikDVD! Although from a personal standpoint I would take a bit of an issue with Nelson talking about business having taken off due to the pandemic as March 2020 was the point at which the last order I did with them got cancelled, then there was that rather brusque notice put up on the home page for around a year or so telling international customers not to use the site, and since then despite the e-mail drops having started up again in the last year or so, I haven't dared to import using DVD Diabolik since! That may be illustrating how overwhelmed Nelson was once the pandemic hit and he started getting far more customers than he could handle, but as one of his 'weirdo cult title enthusiasts', I was pretty much ejected from using his company at that point.

Also related to physical media, there was another article released on the Guardian the same day about Scorsese donating his archive of VHS tapes to the University of Colorado, which was a really interesting read.