On deciding what to watch

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Ovader

Re: On deciding what to watch

#176 Post by Ovader » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:09 pm

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#177 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:30 am

I have to say, I’ve never felt so much overwhelmed by what is currently being released. With the increase of the output from Arrow and Indicator, the steadiness of Criterion, Pathé and Carlotta, having started to dip into what Vinegar Syndrome or others are releasing, all while at the same time having moved in with my GF, I probably never bought so much stuff but certainly haven’t watched so little than currently. I’m still particularly happy to enjoy what has definitely turned into a movie library. I can just go in there, roam within all this cinema history and just pick and choose what I’d like to watch (providing it’s GF-compatible, of course).

However, I am also more and more starting to realise : when am I EVER going to watch these ? I have about 1400 unseen movies. At my current pace, it would take me 7 years to go through all of them. A 7 years backlog is quite a log not to feel stupidly un-reasonable about. :|

Oh and of course, my shelves are AGAIN almost full, though I’m quite certain I probably can hold a bit longer (as usual). But that’s now almost 4 full Ikea double-wide Billys (each with 8 double-deep rows), and a fifth one isn’t really something my GF seems to be happy about. But oh man, was it fun to move a half-ton movies around during my move to Belgium 6 months ago ! \:D/

Morbii

#178 Post by Morbii » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:48 am

I hear you. My discovery of arrow alone has me a bit overwhelmed (to the point where I’m holding back some). Not to mention I found the criterion collecting bug again - picked up over 100 titles this last sale. Between the next flash sale and next B&n sale I hope to complete it again minus blu upgrades. Picked up some indicator too, and my recent region free status...

Hey, at least I didn’t get a move in, though, and I’ve been watching at a healthy clip.

TMDaines

#179 Post by TMDaines » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:32 am

tenia wrote:I have to say, I’ve never felt so much overwhelmed by what is currently being released. With the increase of the output from Arrow and Indicator, the steadiness of Criterion, Pathé and Carlotta, having started to dip into what Vinegar Syndrome or others are releasing, all while at the same time having moved in with my GF, I probably never bought so much stuff but certainly haven’t watched so little than currently. I’m still particularly happy to enjoy what has definitely turned into a movie library. I can just go in there, roam within all this cinema history and just pick and choose what I’d like to watch (providing it’s GF-compatible, of course).

However, I am also more and more starting to realise : when am I EVER going to watch these ? I have about 1400 unseen movies. At my current pace, it would take me 7 years to go through all of them. A 7 years backlog is quite a log not to feel stupidly un-reasonable about. :|

Oh and of course, my shelves are AGAIN almost full, though I’m quite certain I probably can hold a bit longer (as usual). But that’s now almost 4 full Ikea double-wide Billys (each with 8 double-deep rows), and a fifth one isn’t really something my GF seems to be happy about. But oh man, was it fun to move a half-ton movies around during my move to Belgium 6 months ago ! \:D/
We were having this conversation in another thread recently. UK releases in the last 18 months or so have been absurd and prices aren’t dropping as reliably as previously. I have three standard tall Billys and a narrow one for a corner unit. They are 95% full, only single deep. I’m trying to weed out releases that would benefit from being ripped and put on my media server, because they are non-anamorphic or whatever, as I don’t have space for more shelving.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#180 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:25 am

In some ways, I actually wish my budget to buy movies would be smaller, so that it would force me to just skip on some releases and prioritise more but no, I actually just got a 11% raise instead (not that I complain about it, but I'm pretty sure it's all gonna go into BDs somehow).

The UK releases pace has indeed been absolutely batshit crazy to the point I could basically be drowning already just with this market alone.

But this month, on top of that, the French market is going to melt with the Melville and Clouzot retrospective, plus Gaumont releasing about 13 (!) additional individual releases plus the J'accuse boxset, and M6 suddenly releasing 4 catalog movies out of the blue.
November in France ? 6 Pathé releases, 6 Hou Hsiao-hsien & 4 Hitchcock just from Carlotta, and that's just because I don't follow ESC, Elephant and Blaq Out much.
Fortunately, December will be the only calmer month, but it basically will just be an excuse to catch up with the Autumn stuff I wasn't able to buy yet.

It's almost so many releases to the point of being nightmarish.

jorencain

#181 Post by jorencain » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 am

I’ve changed careers, and my income has dropped significantly. So I have to ignore so many releases I am interested in. My amazon wishlist grows and grows as I wait for a B&N sale. I guess it’s nice to go trough my collection and rewatch things I own, but I’d prefer to have tenia’s problem.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#182 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:25 am

I suppose anybody would indeed deem this a definite First World problem.
And I can't even fathom how I'll cope having to really significantly reduce my movies purchases once I'll have kids (though I suppose I'll also have even less time to watch some, so there's that).

jorencain

#183 Post by jorencain » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:56 am

Ha. I went back and forth on whether to write “first world problem.” Yes, I’ve got a 4 yo, and the only chance I get to watch anything is after her bedtime, when I’m exhausted. So purchasing AND viewing have gone down significantly.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#184 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:57 am

jorencain wrote:Ha. I went back and forth on whether to write “first world problem.”
It definitely is, and in some ways, I'm very aware of this.

But on the other hand, it's also pretty much my sole domain of leisure in which I spend my money. I don't have a fancy car, I'm still renting a flat with my GF, I'm certainly not an avid clothes shopper (quite the opposite, actually), we only go in holidays once a year during summer, etc etc, all this basically freeing up my BD budget.
jorencain wrote:Yes, I’ve got a 4 yo, and the only chance I get to watch anything is after her bedtime, when I’m exhausted. So purchasing AND viewing have gone down significantly.
And that'll be, I suppose, the moment I'll be able to basically very slowly crawl in my backlog. :P

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#185 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:46 pm

tenia wrote:Oh and of course, my shelves are AGAIN almost full, though I’m quite certain I probably can hold a bit longer (as usual). But that’s now almost 4 full Ikea double-wide Billys (each with 8 double-deep rows), and a fifth one isn’t really something my GF seems to be happy about.
I don't use shelves for my DVDs and BRs, I use a variety of IKEA locked cabinets, like this one. The initial idea was my paranoia about someone breaking in and then stealing the collection once they see it. But it also has the benefit of potentially taking up less space depending on how you configure it, looking less like a collector's lair and being more aesthetically pleasing (depending on what your idea of that is).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#186 Post by tenia » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:02 pm

It looks pretty neat, but I doubt I could make a practical enough configuration out of it to hold my 2500 BDs.

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#187 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:04 pm

No, you'd probably need about 10! :) I've got 4, but different models - including some older ones not available anymore that are less wide but greater in height.

John Shade

#188 Post by John Shade » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:16 pm

I've considered Rayon Vert's problem about the collection being stolen. But when I imagine the potential robber breaking in, I don't know if they're going to really want the Tati box.

I've purged since originally posting in this thread. Trying to buy every release from a director is a hard habit to kick though...

movielocke

#189 Post by movielocke » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:45 pm

Yeah aren't most home robberys smash and grab after small easy to carry items like jewelry and cash and electronics. Disc media is bulky, I don't think most robbers are going to bother with wall sized cabinets filled with mere DVDs. They might take the matrix or fast and furious but I think Tati will be safe. ;)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#190 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:06 am

Burglars be like "eh, the BFI releases have better copies of the alternate versions of the films."

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#191 Post by tenia » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:52 am

I've always imagined French burglars going in my BD library and be like "what the hell is this guy watching ? This is 70 years old and it aint even in French !" and then trying to swiftly get away with 500kgs of BDs.

knives

#192 Post by knives » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:07 am

A few years back I actually did have a heavy crate of DVDs stolen from me.

Perkins Cobb

#193 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Tim comes off as kind of a dork in that piece but I'll concede that I erased the problem of indecision years ago with a looser but somewhat more elaborate method (essentially a spreadsheet of everything at hand, sortable by intuitive categories, so that if I feel like, say, a European 'Scope film from the '60s or a William Wellman binge, I can instantly see my options).

Now that I'm on the cusp of middle age I'm more about measuring the gap between my burgeoning kevyip (conservatively 5 years' worth, probably closer to a decade) and the Grim Reaper's arrival, and wondering whether physical media will last long enough to bridge it.

Noiradelic

#194 Post by Noiradelic » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:57 pm

knives wrote:A few years back I actually did have a heavy crate of DVDs stolen from me.
Was it stolen during a break-in of your home?

colinr0380

#195 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm

I actually have the different fear of a burglar breaking in only to have a pile of DVDs collapse on them and I end up going to prison for having accidentally killed someone because of my poor filing system! :wink:

knives

#196 Post by knives » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 pm

Noiradelic wrote:
knives wrote:A few years back I actually did have a heavy crate of DVDs stolen from me.
Was it stolen during a break-in of your home?
Yes.

TMDaines

#197 Post by TMDaines » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:12 am

tenia wrote:I've always imagined French burglars going in my BD library and be like "what the hell is this guy watching ? This is 70 years old and it aint even in French !" and then trying to swiftly get away with 500kgs of BDs.
I imagine your average gammon-faced British Brexit burglar has even less cultural exposure.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#198 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:49 am

TMDaines wrote:
tenia wrote:I've always imagined French burglars going in my BD library and be like "what the hell is this guy watching ? This is 70 years old and it aint even in French !" and then trying to swiftly get away with 500kgs of BDs.
I imagine your average gammon-faced British Brexit burglar has even less cultural exposure.
"Ugh ! Continental Europe stuff !"

Mr. Deltoid

#199 Post by Mr. Deltoid » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:57 am

'British Brexit Burglars!' Only in the fevered imagination of Remoaners!