The Future of Home Video

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: The Future of Home Video

#476 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:52 am

I'm still seeing some people doing that currently. I think that now that physical rental is gone, if you want to see the movie through the BD format (for PQ, AQ and extras, for instance) and/or if your internet bandwidth isn't that good, there probably isn't any other way. But if you can buy a new release say $20 and resell it $10, it's not that bad. Especially compared to the price of a movie ticket (which IS technically similar to a rental).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#477 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:53 am

Redbox carries Blu-rays of many but not all mainstream movies available on Blu-ray, and they're everywhere and cheap

hearthesilence

#478 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:19 am

HMV is on the brink of another collapse. Just last year, I paid a visit to Fopp (owned by HMV) and mentioned that the U.S. used to have stores like them but they were now all gone. The clerk mentioned the troubles they had but everything seemed to have righted itself then. A massive pity, I didn't expect to get much but walked out with quite a haul for what seemed like bargain prices. (And I didn't even know about the VAT refunds you could get at the airport.)

McCrutchy

#479 Post by McCrutchy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:24 pm

I have only limited sympathy for them, especially as they have started having more and more UK exclusive Blu-rays, but obviously continued not shipping them internationally. For example, it looks like I'm also going to have to buy The Children Act from a third party next month, because it's exclusive to HMV.

To be honest, though, I'm rather shocked that the UK has managed to keep HMV in business this long, considering that Amazon.co.uk must be quite dominant in its arenas, now, something which I'm certain is not good for most UK video labels.

Emilio

#480 Post by Emilio » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:17 am

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#481 Post by tenia » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am

The issue with Hunt here is that he's, in the end, conflating UHD with the overall physical market. If he expected UHD discs to massively take off, he just was wrong, but it doesn't mean it equates to the total market collapsing faster than it already is.
It just means, well, that the industry yet again pushed a physical medium that wasn't supported that so many consumers' expectations. On this matter, it surprises me there is so little deeper articles on comparing the actual sales figures vs what the industry has been trying to sell us in the past years but that are usually solely predictions. Last time I checked, most of the actual collected key figures were 25 to 33% below the original projections, but this wasn't preventing the industry to rave about how they were seemingly selling tons of UHDs and how they were planning to sell more and more.
Hell : they projected a 8 fold increase in UHDs sales from 2016 to 2017. Figures are very difficult to find on the Web (or you'll find some different figures for the same period) but the best I found was only a 3 fold increase.
Did the industry expressed this ? Nope.
Did any journalist pointed this out ? Nope.

Bill complains about The Wrath of Khan 4K HDR master not hitting the shelves, but how were the sales of the anniversary BD release (the one with the new restoration) already ?
I wouldn't be surprised if the sales weren't already very high on BD. Why would Paramount, a studio that already doesn't do many UHDs of its catalog, would then release it ?

As he mentions at the end of his article, actually, the handful of studios are the ones getting hit, but look at how many indies are currently feeding the Golden Age of Blu Rays !

FrauBlucher

#482 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:17 pm

The one upside to this is it pretty much opens up all and any film to the boutiuques. It'll be interesting to see how quickly recent releases get licensed to the boutiques.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#483 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:36 am

The last locks are indeed seemingly opening (Paramount, Warner), so I guess more and more indie labels will have a field day.

FrauBlucher

#484 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:05 am

I know this is not the thread ... but I’d love to see Criterion get their hands on many of the Sony Classics line.

Emilio

#485 Post by Emilio » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:01 pm

tenia wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am
The issue with Hunt here is that he's, in the end, conflating UHD with the overall physical market. If he expected UHD discs to massively take off, he just was wrong, but it doesn't mean it equates to the total market collapsing faster than it already is.
It just means, well, that the industry yet again pushed a physical medium that wasn't supported that so many consumers' expectations. On this matter, it surprises me there is so little deeper articles on comparing the actual sales figures vs what the industry has been trying to sell us in the past years but that are usually solely predictions. Last time I checked, most of the actual collected key figures were 25 to 33% below the original projections, but this wasn't preventing the industry to rave about how they were seemingly selling tons of UHDs and how they were planning to sell more and more.
Hell : they projected a 8 fold increase in UHDs sales from 2016 to 2017. Figures are very difficult to find on the Web (or you'll find some different figures for the same period) but the best I found was only a 3 fold increase.
Did the industry expressed this ? Nope.
Did any journalist pointed this out ? Nope.

Bill complains about The Wrath of Khan 4K HDR master not hitting the shelves, but how were the sales of the anniversary BD release (the one with the new restoration) already ?
I wouldn't be surprised if the sales weren't already very high on BD. Why would Paramount, a studio that already doesn't do many UHDs of its catalog, would then release it ?

As he mentions at the end of his article, actually, the handful of studios are the ones getting hit, but look at how many indies are currently feeding the Golden Age of Blu Rays !
True and a good reminder. The amount of labels publishing wonderful Blu-Ray's is impressive...!

Orlac

#486 Post by Orlac » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Let's face it, if every company stopped making discs tomorrow, we'd still have a lifetime to collect the ones already in circulation!

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#487 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:59 pm

I'd probably need 2 lifetimes : one for my kevyip, then another one to collect the other titles already in circulation !

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#488 Post by DarkImbecile » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:41 pm

Blockchain film distributor Breaker launches a platform with work from Blanchett, Soderbergh, Reichardt, and the 1937 A Star Is Born.
“I’m always looking for new ways to increase the transparency of the business while also trying to simplify it. If this what the future’s going to look like, I want to be in on it early,” said Steven Soderbergh, the prolific filmmaker who executive produced the sci-fi thriller “Perfect,” which was acquired by Breaker.

Noiretirc

#489 Post by Noiretirc » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:10 pm

tenia wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:59 pm
I'd probably need 2 lifetimes : one for my kevyip, then another one to collect the other titles already in circulation !
OK, I don't want to derail, but what does that mean, "one for my kevyip?" I've seen it elsewhere. (I understand that there was once a poster named kevyip.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#490 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Noiretirc

#491 Post by Noiretirc » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:17 pm

Thanks. I also found "Noob! ;) "Kevyip" is a code phrase for that pile of unwatched DVDs that we all are too ashamed to acknowledge."

I suppose this actually fits into this thread.

aox

#492 Post by aox » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:30 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:13 pm
See the entry on "kevyip" here
That Deadwood discussion is pretty amazing.

Perkins Cobb

#493 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:49 pm

I guess even domino isn't willing to tackle a Jeff Wells explainer.

dwk

#494 Post by dwk » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:57 pm

David M.

#495 Post by David M. » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Samsung got themselves into a hard place with their company-wide policy not to support the Dolby Vision HDR system. Support for Dolby Vision HDR is fast becoming a standard feature on the player side (although it's not ubiquitous on the HDR TV side yet - although holdout Panasonic has started to support it).

If they were to release new UHD BD players without DoVi, they wouldn't be competitive. I imagine this has influenced their decision to throw in the towel. I don't think their BD player market share was ever too good either.

eerik

#496 Post by eerik » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:21 am

I've been looking to buy a 4K UHD Blu-ray player for the last 6 months now, and none of the Samsung models ever came up for serious consideration. Lack of DV support, ugly designs, active cooling fans -- other manufacturers simply offer better products at the same price point.

perkizitore

#497 Post by perkizitore » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:28 am

Unless you are willing to spend big bucks to get a premium Panasonic or Pioneer Player, the best options are Sony X700 (budget Oppo) and some LG models (they may have some DV compatibility issues with some screens).

eerik

#498 Post by eerik » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:14 pm

perkizitore wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:28 am
Unless you are willing to spend big bucks to get a premium Panasonic or Pioneer Player, the best options are Sony X700 (budget Oppo) and some LG models (they may have some DV compatibility issues with some screens).
Since you brought it up, I am willing to spend big bucks, and at the moment I am actually in the process of trying to get an OPPO UDP-203 before it's too late. I spent the past week communicating with local (i.e. Estonian) retailers and they've all run out of stock months ago with no chance of getting any more. Hoping to get one from Germany. If that fails then I guess my next choice would be Cambridge Audio CXUHD, which is basically a rebranded OPPO 203 (and still available in Estonia). At a slightly lower price point I'd go for the 2019 version of Sony's X800(M2), but that's not available until May. X700 would be my "budget option".

perkizitore

#499 Post by perkizitore » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:05 pm

I didn't mention X800M2 because it hasn't been released yet, plus if they just take the X700 internals and put it on a X800 chassis maybe it won't be worth the price difference. There is speculation of higher end Sony models coming later this year, but there is no concrete information about them. The Sony X700 should be enough for most people unless you have a really high end sound system.