Removing Stickers, Labels, and Adhesive

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Zot!

Re: BFI (British Film Institute)

#26 Post by Zot! » Thu May 06, 2010 12:30 pm

I don't know if they sell it in the UK, but Goo-Be-Gone is a great product.

Matt

#27 Post by Matt » Thu May 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Zot! wrote:I don't know if they sell it in the UK, but Goo-Be-Gone is a great product.
I think we've got a thread about this somewhere, but Goo-Gone (which leaves an oily residue) is shit compared to Ronsonol (which removes adhesive entirely--especially if the label is paper and you soak it for a minute--and leaves no residue and tends not to stain).

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#28 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu May 06, 2010 3:30 pm

'Goo be gone' - the onanist's friend

TMDaines

#29 Post by TMDaines » Thu May 06, 2010 4:13 pm

Thermal paste remover is excellent.

HarryLong

Re: Removing Stickers, Labels, and Adehesive

#30 Post by HarryLong » Thu May 06, 2010 5:24 pm

For most labels & label-glue residue, plain old rubbing alcohol does the trick, too.

rosmer

#31 Post by rosmer » Thu May 06, 2010 6:16 pm

In the good bad days when you could get Freon spray in pro electronics stores, it did a most amazing job of removing EVERYTHING short of graffiti (orange-juice-related stuff for that).

There ARE substitutes (which supposedly do less damage to the environment) and they vary in names and brands. Even Radio Shack MAY have something, but a pro electronic supply shop is the best bet.

These sprays have an easily identifiable smell (which of course doesn't help /you/ much). They are usually called something like "electronic circuit board cleaner" and mention "evaporates 100%" and "leaves no residue", and "leaves no marks on any surface, plastic, etc". This last characteristic may vary with the product, so do a test.

This should cost between $10 and 20 or you're getting garbage. It should be made in the USA by a reputable chemical company - which you probably never heard of, since these are pro products and do not make their way into households or the news.

Best thing to do is bring something with a label you tried to remove and gave up, and ask the store to let you try. A tiny spray onto a piece of Kleenex or thin napkin will immediately tell you if this is it.

Good luck.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#32 Post by tenia » Fri May 07, 2010 1:20 am

Usually, once the sticker is peeled, I use a simple rubber to take away the residues. Of course, on paper or cardboard, it can make the picture under the glue disappear a bit, but it is a very simple way to take away all this remaining glue.
Plus, it doesn't involve any alcohol or inflammable stuff.
It works on all the stickers I had to work with so far, and the US security tapes (what a bummer, these ones).

MoonlitKnight

#33 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed May 12, 2010 9:15 am

I usually use scotch or masking tape to remove any residue left behind by stickers or security thingys. The whole sticking-on-and-pulling-off may be a bit time-consuming, but it's guaranteed to not leave any markings behind once you get it all off.

dx23

#34 Post by dx23 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:25 pm

Matt wrote:
Zot! wrote:I don't know if they sell it in the UK, but Goo-Be-Gone is a great product.
I think we've got a thread about this somewhere, but Goo-Gone (which leaves an oily residue) is shit compared to Ronsonol (which removes adhesive entirely--especially if the label is paper and you soak it for a minute--and leaves no residue and tends not to stain).
Does it have to be Ronsonol or would any other lighter fluid work? I'm asking because I've been unable to find any Ronsonol at nearby stores.

Matt

#35 Post by Matt » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:46 pm

I guess any would work; I've only ever used Ronsonol.

dx23

#36 Post by dx23 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:55 pm

Matt wrote:I guess any would work; I've only ever used Ronsonol.
Finally found Ronsonol at Wal-Mart (they have it hidden with the cigarettes). Thanks for the suggestion Matt. It really works like a charm. Much, much better than Goo Gone.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Removing Stickers, Labels, and Adhesive

#37 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:39 pm

An occasional problem I've seen is that the sheet of plastic that holds the wraparound cover sleeve in a case has adhered to that cover sleeve along the spine. (You could probably achieve this effect yourself if you took a blow dryer to the spine of any given case.) Does anyone have any ideas on how to separate the two without damaging the cover sleeve? If you do so carelessly, a sliver of the sleeve will remain on the plastic, and then it will never look right again unless you line it up just right. The only thought I've had is to perhaps heat everything up again with a blow dryer and then attempt separation while everything is melty, but that also seems idiotic

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#38 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:47 pm

I'm interested in a trick for this too. I had some Criterion which suffered this issue, and I only managed to manually "scratch" as much as possible of the blister but either never managed to remove it all or had to choose to leave some in order not to damage the spine (it stuck mostly to the spine).

hearthesilence

#39 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:56 pm

I've noticed this too and have a lot of Criterion discs where a sliver of plastic wrap is adhered to the spine. It honestly has never bothered me one iota. Bits of adhesive from, say, a sticker or label on a DVD used to bother me in the past, but never a sliver of plastic wrap like this (unless it was loose and could flap or be lifted). I guess it's because it doesn't seem intrusive, it's just there whereas adhesive would stick to things and potentially damage something.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#40 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:07 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:56 pm
I've noticed this too and have a lot of Criterion discs where a sliver of plastic wrap is adhered to the spine.
I think this is a separate issue that I've also noticed, but if I'm reading you right, this is just plastic from the shrinkwrap sticking to the outside of the plastic case, which I agree isn't a big deal. What I'm talking about is the inner side of the plastic sheet on the outside of the case being stuck to the cover sleeve. If you never mess with it perhaps it looks fine, but if you wanted to realign the cover sleeve because it was way off-center, you would end up with a sliver of the cover sleeve stuck to the plastic, as well as a white sliver on the cover sleeve where the color has come off

hearthesilence

#41 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:13 pm

Oh wow, I've never noticed that before, but then again, I've never had to readjust a sleeve unless I was replacing it altogether (like when it was already damaged or destroyed and needed a replacement).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#42 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:08 pm

Oh wow (too), I never had this and never even imagined this could happen, hence my re-imagining of your issue.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#43 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:29 pm

This is what I'm talking about, if you attempt to make these spines look more centered: