The OOP Heads-Up Thread

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Ribs

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1026 Post by Ribs » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:13 pm

4K remasters were prepared of all of them, so they're likely going to re-release it all on BD with new revisions later this year. (Possibly as a launch title for actual 4KBDs? I've seen several people cite the Bond films as the catalyst for finally embracing a new home video format)

rrenault

#1027 Post by rrenault » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:20 pm

Ribs wrote:4K remasters were prepared of all of them, so they're likely going to re-release it all on BD with new revisions later this year. (Possibly as a launch title for actual 4KBDs? I've seen several people cite the Bond films as the catalyst for finally embracing a new home video format)
Can we see Criterion going 4KBD before or by 2020?

McCrutchy

#1028 Post by McCrutchy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:40 pm

rrenault wrote:
Ribs wrote:4K remasters were prepared of all of them, so they're likely going to re-release it all on BD with new revisions later this year. (Possibly as a launch title for actual 4KBDs? I've seen several people cite the Bond films as the catalyst for finally embracing a new home video format)
Depends on where the technology is, and if it can create a palpable sense of A/V superiority to Blu-ray. My guess is yes, but not if the format is dead on arrival.

The more interesting question is whether the format will be mainstream enough for Criterion to adopt it, but enough of a niche product that they go back to licensing more mainstream fare for Special Editions.

captveg

#1029 Post by captveg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:02 am

MGM handles the Bond films like Disney handles their classic animated features. They vault them, re-release, vault, re-release, etc.

rrenault

#1030 Post by rrenault » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:48 am

McCrutchy wrote:
rrenault wrote:
Depends on where the technology is, and if it can create a palpable sense of A/V superiority to Blu-ray. My guess is yes, but not if the format is dead on arrival.

The more interesting question is whether the format will be mainstream enough for Criterion to adopt it, but enough of a niche product that they go back to licensing more mainstream fare for Special Editions.
Perhaps, although I can't imagine 'mainstream fare' such as Blow Out, Something Wild, and even The Killing are bigger sellers than Breathless or The Seventh Seal. They probably released the former three because they just wanted to, not necessarily to recoup costs. Perhaps Rosemary's Baby was big money maker, however, yes.

McCrutchy

#1031 Post by McCrutchy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:10 pm

rrenault wrote:
McCrutchy wrote:The more interesting question is whether the format will be mainstream enough for Criterion to adopt it, but enough of a niche product that they go back to licensing more mainstream fare for Special Editions.
Perhaps, although I can't imagine 'mainstream fare' such as Blow Out, Something Wild, and even The Killing are bigger sellers than Breathless or The Seventh Seal. They probably released the former three because they just wanted to, not necessarily to recoup costs. Perhaps Rosemary's Baby was big money maker, however, yes.
I was thinking more of 4K Disc Special Editions of titles like Akira, Blade Runner, Halloween, Dr. Strangelove and so on and so forth. Obviously, I'm just throwing out titles, and this is assuming that studios would see 4K as a movie-only format for many titles a la LaserDisc, but you never know.

Orlac

#1032 Post by Orlac » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:24 am

For some reason, Olive's DVD and BD of TICKS is OOP, though none of their other Paramount titles are...yet.

ianungstad

#1033 Post by ianungstad » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:58 pm

MGM discontinued several high profile genre titles this week on blu. Titles include Teen Wolf; Child's Play; Hannibal; Misery and Return of the Living Dead. Smells like a licensing deal. Could be Scream Factory but I wouldn't be surpised if it ended up being Arrow. (US/UK)

AfterTheRain

#1034 Post by AfterTheRain » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:06 pm

ianungstad wrote:MGM discontinued several high profile genre titles this week on blu. Titles include Teen Wolf; Child's Play; Hannibal; Misery and Return of the Living Dead. Smells like a licensing deal. Could be Scream Factory but I wouldn't be surpised if it ended up being Arrow. (US/UK)
Speaking of Scream Factory, they just announced on their FB page that the first Vincent Price Collection is soon to go OOP due to the fact that they've lost the rights to the films in the set. That means pick up a copy if you can soon!

ianungstad

#1035 Post by ianungstad » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:09 pm

The Price titles were almost certainlty picked up by Arrow USA.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1036 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Misery was just reissued recently, that's why the old editions are OOP

dwk

#1037 Post by dwk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:07 pm

ianungstad wrote:The Price titles were almost certainlty picked up by Arrow USA.
I'm pretty sure Scream has these until at least 2017 (and besides Arrow would never license The Masque of the Red Death because they can not get the UK rights [StudioCanal has them.]) When asked about single releases of the Price titles, Scream said
No plans at this time to break out as singles. That could change in 2016 if we see demand for them.
Which is Scream talk for they are getting released individually in 2016.

krnash

#1038 Post by krnash » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:47 pm

dwk wrote:
ianungstad wrote:The Price titles were almost certainlty picked up by Arrow USA.
I'm pretty sure Scream has these until at least 2017 (and besides Arrow would never license The Masque of the Red Death because they can not get the UK rights [StudioCanal has them.])
From Scream's official Facebook post:
Unfortunately we have lost our rights to put the films included in that set in a multi-film collection. What this means is that our VP COLLECTION will soon be going into an out-of-print status.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#1039 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:00 pm

That's some curious wording though. They don't say they've lost any film rights, but instead the rights to put the films in a multi-film collection. Is this something common in licensing? Is it a fancy way of saying they've lost a title or two from the collection, but not everything?

dwk

#1040 Post by dwk » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:52 pm

This is what Jameson281 said at the Classic Horror Film Board
MGM isn't losing any rights. And it seems like Shout isn't losing all rights either, just the right to issue them in a box set. Not sure what's going on; it might have something to do with Shout having to sub-license 3 of the films from TGG, who had already licensed them from MGM.
I think either board favorite Mr. Lime or Walter Olsen from Scorpion Releasing has said that MGM will not let Kino do double features or box sets, so maybe TGG's rights expired and MGM struck a new deal with Scream for those three, but they are making them break the box up.

Noiradelic

#1041 Post by Noiradelic » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:33 pm

What this means is that our VP COLLECTION will soon be going into an out-of-print status.
Set's already unavailable new from every major online retailer and commanding big bucks on the secondhand market.

willoneill

#1042 Post by willoneill » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Amazon.ca has the VP collection for $53.49, but it says 1-2 months for shipping, so may not be guaranteed to actually ship.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1043 Post by Drucker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:27 pm

Does anyone have this blu-ray of the 1978 Dawn of the Dead, and can you comment on quality, if so?

ianungstad

#1044 Post by ianungstad » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:42 am

Facets discontinued all of their Bela Tarr dvds this week.

FrauBlucher

#1045 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:06 am

That's awesome news. That means they are heading somewhere. Hopefully, Criterion. I know Cinema Guild are huge Tarr fans but have expressed in the past that upgrading his catalogue is too costly for them.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#1046 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:13 am

Facets are re-issuing them..... On VHS

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1047 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:31 am

Replicated in EP tape speed

Orlac

#1048 Post by Orlac » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 pm

Drucker wrote:Does anyone have this blu-ray of the 1978 Dawn of the Dead, and can you comment on quality, if so?
Watching it as I type. It's Ok, a dated transfer (a tad smeary) but passable.

aox

#1049 Post by aox » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:02 am

FrauBlucher wrote:That's awesome news. That means they are heading somewhere. Hopefully, Criterion. I know Cinema Guild are huge Tarr fans but have expressed in the past that upgrading his catalogue is too costly for them.
I can't imagine a Satantango box BD from CC. Just incredible. I'm going to spend the week thinking about the still that might make the cover. Maybe even the cows in the opening being herded into the gate.

perkizitore

#1050 Post by perkizitore » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:26 pm

The Iosseliani Blaq Out DVD set is OOP, confirmed directly by the company. :oops:
If anyone is willing to sell me their set for a non-scalper price, please PM me.