The OOP Heads-Up Thread

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#926 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 11, 2014 3:43 pm

All of Legend's releases appear to have gone OOP

EDIT: And a lot of First Run titles too

Minkin

#927 Post by Minkin » Sun May 11, 2014 6:36 pm

domino harvey wrote:EDIT: And a lot of First Run titles too
Link (I always end up having to dig around for one).

Awesome! Legend of Paul and Paula is OOP. I rather love this film and had always hoped it would end up with Criterion (please not Kino - though that would probably be an improvement) one day (along with the other DEFA titles). It appears that none of the OOP listed titles are mentioned on First Run's website - so I can assume that they no longer have the rights. Most of First Run's dvds were middling at best - and any company could easily better them (most dvds just have liner notes/photo gallery/biography, and ho-hum A/V quality). I rather hope this announcement is a sign of better things to come for these movies.

Lowry_Sam

#928 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sun May 11, 2014 11:33 pm

domino harvey wrote:EDIT: And a lot of First Run titles too
Just saw Murderers Among Us/Die Mörder sind unter uns at the recent Film Noir Festival @ Castro Theater & was the clear favorite of the group I went with (of all the titles we saw & hadn't seen before). They were supposed to have a print sent from Germany, but something tied it up (If I remember correctly the archive that held it got anxious about sending the only known complete print) & they ended up with a DCP copy instead. I hesitated on buying it because it was First Run. I might have to pick up the German blu-ray, but it doesn't have English subs, so I wouldn't be able to show it to friends (I've also never heard of Icestorm Distr., but the reviews seem ok).......would love to see Criterion pick it up.

Noiradelic

#929 Post by Noiradelic » Mon May 12, 2014 2:04 am

domino harvey wrote:All of Legend's releases appear to have gone OOP
You didn't mean their entire catalog, I assume? Because the bulk of it's still available.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#930 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 12, 2014 6:19 am

Check the link, all of their Paramount holdings are OOP (which is what I meant-- I wasn't clear in my initial post). MMM has not yet been updated with this info, but the guy who runs it has posted it on DVDTalk's forum

Jonathan S

#931 Post by Jonathan S » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:34 am

Network is deleting the following titles, which are on offer until June 30 at these prices:

The Day the Earth Caught Fire £3 (was £4.08)
The Day the Earth Caught Fire: Special edition £4 (was £6.00)
Hitchcock: The British Years £15 (was £31.20)
The Buster Keaton Chronicles £7 (was £15.31)
The Paul Robeson Collection £7 (was £14.40)
The Old Dark House £4 (was £6.00)
Seven Years in Tibet £3 (was £7.14)
Moonlight Sonata £4 (was £6.00)

These certainly include some old Raymond Rohauer versions, so I assume Cohen Media Group now claim copyright on those titles at least.

I do not recommend the Keaton collection even at £7. I bought it when it first came out and the prints/transfers were inferior even to the old Kino DVDs. Our Hospitality has the Carl Davis score correctly synched, unlike the haphazard Kino Ultimate Edition, but the image is softer even than my VHS of the original broadcast.

The Hitchcock set has various issues but is generally recommendable for the talkies at least, and it has some excellent extras (I bought the single disc versions of some titles). The Pleasure Garden is the old truncated Rohauer copy, not the BFI restoration, but as far as I know it's the only version currently available to buy.

The Robeson set (which I've ordered) includes Micheaux's silent Body and Soul, which is also in the Criterion set. The Old Dark House is an inferior copy to that used by Kino, though the commentary is different.

Ogre Kovacs

#932 Post by Ogre Kovacs » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:54 pm

Last edited by Ogre Kovacs on Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Romberg

#933 Post by Mr. Romberg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:08 pm

Heaven & Hell: Radio City Music Hall - Live! (2011) appears to be out-of-print on blu-ray.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#934 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:36 pm

StevenJ0001

#935 Post by StevenJ0001 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:22 am

Ogre Kovacs wrote:Cross posted from the AnimEigo thread, but Shohei Imamura's Black Rain is going OOP in August and is currently $7.99.
Thanks for that, Ogre!

Any whispers about this coming out from anybody else? If not, I'll pick this up--been wanting to see it for decades.

Zot!

#936 Post by Zot! » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:03 pm

StevenJ0001 wrote:
Ogre Kovacs wrote:Cross posted from the AnimEigo thread, but Shohei Imamura's Black Rain is going OOP in August and is currently $7.99.
Thanks for that, Ogre!

Any whispers about this coming out from anybody else? If not, I'll pick this up--been wanting to see it for decades.
I wish...it's my favortite Imamura, but for whatever reason, I don't think it holds much critical interest. I'm guessing we won't see it again soon. The Eel would come first, if anything, which is also a great movie.

StevenJ0001

#937 Post by StevenJ0001 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Zot! wrote:
StevenJ0001 wrote:
I wish...it's my favortite Imamura, but for whatever reason, I don't think it holds much critical interest. I'm guessing we won't see it again soon. The Eel would come first, if anything, which is also a great movie.
OK thanks, I just ordered it! The Eel is on my must see list also.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#938 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:21 pm

Fox's Murnau/Borzage box
DVD and Blu-ray of White Christmas (It's the sixtieth anniversary this year, so something may be cooking?)
WC Fields Universal box Vol 1

krnash

#939 Post by krnash » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:WC Fields Universal box Vol 1
Universal replaced Vol. 1 & 2 with this set. I bought this a few months ago. It's $12 for 10 films...an incredible deal for anyone willing to settle for non-HD while waiting out something better.

Gregory

#940 Post by Gregory » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:45 pm

That looks like a steal but this R2 set is also a bargain and is more complete.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#941 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Chaplin Blu
Lots of Mill Creek budget Blu-rays-- if there's any you want, pick 'em up now while they're all around 4-5 bucks new and fulfilled by Amazon

ianungstad

#942 Post by ianungstad » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:59 am

It looks like Kino might have lost the rights to Michael Haneke's Funny Games. It was listed as discontinued today on MMM. On Amazon; it's already sold out and is only available via third party sellers. The Amazon instant status has been changed to "no longer available". The title has also been removed from the Kino website.

FrauBlucher

#943 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:53 am

ianungstad wrote:It looks like Kino might have lost the rights to Michael Haneke's Funny Games. It was listed as discontinued today on MMM. On Amazon; it's already sold out and is only available via third party sellers. The Amazon instant status has been changed to "no longer available". The title has also been removed from the Kino website.
Kino has only 3 Haneke titles listed on their site. Code Unknown, The Piano Teacher and The Castle. I guess they will be losing these as well. I wonder where they will end up.

BTW...Amazon, as of this post, has one Haneke DVD boxset left that Kino put out years ago.

HitchcockLang

#944 Post by HitchcockLang » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:03 am

Media Blaster's Tokyo Shock's Gamera the Brave Blu-Ray (and DVD) seems to be OOP and going for high prices on Amazon and eBay. Barnes & Noble still has it but it says ships in 1-2 weeks. I tried to order one. We'll see what happens. DVDList still lists its status as "Out." Could it just be between production runs?

ianungstad

#945 Post by ianungstad » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:31 am

FrauBlucher wrote:
ianungstad wrote:It looks like Kino might have lost the rights to Michael Haneke's Funny Games. It was listed as discontinued today on MMM. On Amazon; it's already sold out and is only available via third party sellers. The Amazon instant status has been changed to "no longer available". The title has also been removed from the Kino website.
Kino has only 3 Haneke titles listed on their site. Code Unknown, The Piano Teacher and The Castle. I guess they will be losing these as well. I wonder where they will end up.

BTW...Amazon, as of this post, has one Haneke DVD boxset left that Kino put out years ago.
It's not a given that these are all from the same licensor. I would actually be inclined to believe that the early Haneke films up to Funny Games are sold as a package and this is what Kino lost. I'm sure there will be multiple parties chasing the rights. Criterion among them.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#946 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:18 pm

Either it's a weird coincidence or evidence of a new wave of themed upgrades, but a bunch of Fox titles with predominately black casts just went OOP all at once, including the Great White Hope, Stormy Weather, Waiting to Exhale, I Think I Love My Wife, Carmen Jones, Pinky (the last two already out on Blu-ray)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#947 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:38 pm

These Scorpion titles are going OOP

The Pom Pom Girls (Blu)
The Dreaming/The Initiation (Double Feature DVD)
The Carpenter (DVD)
Follow Me (DVD)
My Tutor (Blu)
Legacy (DVD)
Skateboard (DVD)
The Fantasist (DVD)
Celia (aka, Celia: Child of Terror, DVD)
Mark of Cain/Thrillkill (Double Feature DVD)
Dark Side of Genius (DVD)
Point of Terror (DVD)
Body Melt (DVD)
Superspook (DVD)
Girls on the Road (DVD)
L.A. Is My Home Town (DVD)
The Girl in Blue (DVD)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#948 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:31 pm

Lionsgate's Jean Renoir box
Bond 50 Blu-ray box
Species Blu-ray
Cinema Paradiso Blu-ray
When a Stranger Calls / Happy Birthday to Me Blu-ray

StevenJ0001

#949 Post by StevenJ0001 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:Lionsgate's Jean Renoir box
Bond 50 Blu-ray box
Species Blu-ray
Cinema Paradiso Blu-ray
When a Stranger Calls / Happy Birthday to Me Blu-ray
Hmmm, wondering if I should pick up that Renoir box. Are those films available in better editions and/or likely to be issued on Blu?

danieltiger

#950 Post by danieltiger » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Ooh, if Lionsgate's Jean Renoir box is going OOP perhaps Criterion might get Grand Illusion back? I know it's Canal, but just maybe?