The OOP Heads-Up Thread

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
captveg
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1101 Post by captveg » Tue May 05, 2020 3:44 pm

Feego wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:21 am
captveg wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:33 pm
The Laura BD, for example, seems to only be in stock at B&N.
It's now listed as out of stock.
Wow. Looks like I may have got one of the last copies.

User avatar
Luke M
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:21 pm

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1102 Post by Luke M » Thu May 07, 2020 2:00 am

This thread inspired me to pickup a bunch of Fox movies I had been meaning to get someday. I seemed to have missed out on the Clark Gable version of Call of the Wild though.

User avatar
TMDaines
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Stretford, Manchester

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1103 Post by TMDaines » Fri May 15, 2020 5:02 am

soundchaser wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:48 pm
Damn, I guess I really need to jump on The Ghost and Mrs. Muir...
For Europeans, it appears the French release is the same disc with the commentaries present, even if unadvertised on the case: http://www.dvdclassik.com/test/blu-ray- ... entury-fox

User avatar
captveg
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1104 Post by captveg » Sun May 17, 2020 7:14 pm

A lot of the Shout Factory pending OOP titles have actually gone OOP over the last week. There's a webpage to keep track, in case there's a title still available of interest.

User avatar
L.A.
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1105 Post by L.A. » Tue May 19, 2020 2:33 pm

captveg wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:14 pm
A lot of the Shout Factory pending OOP titles have actually gone OOP over the last week. There's a webpage to keep track, in case there's a title still available of interest.
Oh crap, they don’t ship to my country. :cry:

User avatar
Reverend Drewcifer
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1106 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Tue May 19, 2020 2:41 pm

Missed out on Body Snatchers '78. Womp womp.

User avatar
cdnchris
Site Admin
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1107 Post by cdnchris » Tue May 19, 2020 5:44 pm

Same, and it was one I was going to pick up at some point as well and forgot about it going oop. Ah well. I'll pick up the Arrow one if another doesn't come along.

User avatar
dwk
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1108 Post by dwk » Tue May 19, 2020 9:00 pm

People who did order Body Snatchers reported that it still came with the slipcover. So it apparently was a poor seller.

User avatar
barnyard078
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:37 pm

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1109 Post by barnyard078 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:05 pm

dwk wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:00 pm
People who did order Body Snatchers reported that it still came with the slipcover. So it apparently was a poor seller.
I ordered Body Snatchers when they listed them as going out of print, but before they dropped the prices, and it did indeed come with a slipcover. I was pleasantly surprised for sure!

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1110 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:59 pm

Fox titles may not be OOP forever after all. I realized there was a missing Fox title I wanted after all, Working Girl, and after monitoring the absurd $40+ prices on eBay for a few weeks, it popped up as back in stock on Amazon and my new copy is en route now for like $12. Could these "OOP" titles just be between pressings thanks to the Fox/Disney transfer, or is this just a popular title that will remain in print no matter what?

User avatar
Ribs
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1111 Post by Ribs » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:13 pm

I’m not particularly concerned by the releases by Fox itself - but the BFI did indicate they’re not getting their licenses renewed from Fox and their titles will bit-by-bit be going OOP as contracts expire, starting with the Innocents. So the idea of needing to panic buy from the specialty labels is very real, though I do think in the fullness of time Fox titles will begin appearing again (bear in mind that Kino and Criterion *do* have deals with Disney, it wouldn’t make sense similar deals won’t follow eventually). But it’s definitely possible that other labels will start losing titles en masse (plus, some of the real obscurities that TT or Kino released really may just never appear again just due to lack of interest).

User avatar
Lowry_Sam
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:35 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1112 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:53 am

captveg wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:14 pm
A lot of the Shout Factory pending OOP titles have actually gone OOP over the last week. There's a webpage to keep track, in case there's a title still available of interest.
Just looked and noticd that their dvd-only release of Swimming To Cambodia is going out of print, hopefully this means the Spalding Gray box might come next year.

User avatar
soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:32 am

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1113 Post by soundchaser » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:00 pm

I just grabbed a copy of The Razor's Edge Blu-Ray on eBay for around $20. It was a little more than I'd have liked to pay, but it's the first one I've seen listed at all in weeks.

User avatar
HitchcockLang
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1114 Post by HitchcockLang » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:32 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:48 pm
Damn, I guess I really need to jump on The Ghost and Mrs. Muir...
I picked this BD up not too long ago at my local Big Lots (Odd Lots in some parts of the country). If you have one nearby, you should check. I believe it was $4 or $5. Years ago Big Lots/Odd Lots had many excellent DVDs including tons of Sony Pictures Classics for $3 each. I used to go and just blindbuy anything that looked interesting when I was in high school. It's how I got into Woody Allen and Pedro Almodovar.

As a close out retailer, they may have a number of the other Fox titles that are difficult to find through ordinary channels.

Noiradelic
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:45 am

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1115 Post by Noiradelic » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:56 pm

HitchcockLang wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:32 pm
soundchaser wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:48 pm
Damn, I guess I really need to jump on The Ghost and Mrs. Muir...
I picked this BD up not too long ago at my local Big Lots (Odd Lots in some parts of the country). If you have one nearby, you should check. I believe it was $4 or $5.

As a close out retailer, they may have a number of the other Fox titles that are difficult to find through ordinary channels.
Since they do sell close-outs, that's a sign that some Fox titles are really going OOP.

Hamilton Books has The Three Faces of Eve for $5. The King of Comedy's at $5 too.

Fox Studio Classics titles have been gradually falling OOP for several months.

User avatar
dustybooks
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:52 am
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1116 Post by dustybooks » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:52 pm

Panic in the Streets is hovering at low stock levels for the past couple of months and is currently very cheap at Amazon.

User avatar
fiddlesticks
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:19 pm
Location: Borderlands

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1117 Post by fiddlesticks » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:57 am

Panic in the Streets is another title that can be found at Big Lots.

User avatar
Reverend Drewcifer
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Cincinnati

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1118 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:52 pm

fiddlesticks wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:57 am
Panic in the Streets is another title that can be found at Big Lots.
I’ll keep that in mind next time I’m shopping for off-brand toothpaste, out-of-season lawn ornaments, and expired hot sauce.

User avatar
Monterey Jack
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:27 am

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1119 Post by Monterey Jack » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:43 pm

I got Panic In The Streets at Dollar Tree last year.

bad future
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1120 Post by bad future » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:07 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:59 pm
Fox titles may not be OOP forever after all. I realized there was a missing Fox title I wanted after all, Working Girl, and after monitoring the absurd $40+ prices on eBay for a few weeks, it popped up as back in stock on Amazon and my new copy is en route now for like $12. Could these "OOP" titles just be between pressings thanks to the Fox/Disney transfer, or is this just a popular title that will remain in print no matter what?
Huh, the plot thickens(?)... Working Girl is back out of stock everywhere already. The Amazon page has their standard “Currently unavailable / We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.” Which doesn’t mean it won’t be back next week, but still more discouraging than a “more on the way” or whatever. I should have bought it for $15 when I was looking at it literally yesterday!

User avatar
Monterey Jack
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:27 am

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1121 Post by Monterey Jack » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Laura is back in-stock at Amazon for $10, so I snagged a copy before the vultures could descend.

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1122 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:05 pm

Between Amazon and eBay, I was able to scoop most of the Fox titles I wanted to today for relatively low prices. I'd definitely recommend checking both places as the difference was occasionally staggering for brand new copies.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1123 Post by swo17 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:10 pm

Can people post specifically what they're picking up? I think I already have what I want but could be forgetting some titles

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1124 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:28 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:10 pm
Can people post specifically what they're picking up? I think I already have what I want but could be forgetting some titles
Aside from the TT and whatever else I picked up when the fear hit, today I grabbed:

Panic in the Streets
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
A Letter to Three Wives
Young Frankenstein
The Hustler
Oklahoma! (50s version obv)
The Song of Bernadette
Daddy Long Legs
The Favourite

I'm aware that some of these aren't going anywhere fast (i.e. the KL, MoC) but I wanted them immediately- holding off on others held by boutique labels for now (unless that isn't as smart as I think it is)

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: The OOP Heads-Up Thread

#1125 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:42 pm

bad future wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:07 am
domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:59 pm
Fox titles may not be OOP forever after all. I realized there was a missing Fox title I wanted after all, Working Girl, and after monitoring the absurd $40+ prices on eBay for a few weeks, it popped up as back in stock on Amazon and my new copy is en route now for like $12. Could these "OOP" titles just be between pressings thanks to the Fox/Disney transfer, or is this just a popular title that will remain in print no matter what?
Huh, the plot thickens(?)... Working Girl is back out of stock everywhere already. The Amazon page has their standard “Currently unavailable / We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.” Which doesn’t mean it won’t be back next week, but still more discouraging than a “more on the way” or whatever. I should have bought it for $15 when I was looking at it literally yesterday!
I received my copy and there’s a sticker for a digital code that expired in 2018, so this is not a new repressing and was just some old stock Amazon got ahold of

Post Reply