Chris Marker on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

Re: Chris Marker on DVD

#151 Post by ola t » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:52 am

Optimum will be releasing Level Five on DVD in the UK on August 22, obviously with English subtitles. (MovieMail link)

Also worth pointing out here perhaps, though I think it was mentioned in the Tarkovsky thread, One Day in the Life of Andrei Arsenevich is out on DVD from Icarus Films along with two Russian documentaries "recommended" by Marker. (DVDSavant review)

EDIT: Obviously I shouldn't have said "obviously", since the disc could potentially include an English-narrated version of Level Five instead -- though the MovieMail page does mention subtitles.

Minkin

#152 Post by Minkin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:27 am

I don't believe it has been posted, so here is Marker's 1990 short Cat Listening to Music

Roger Ryan

#153 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:42 am

Minkin wrote:I don't believe it has been posted, so here is Marker's 1990 short Cat Listening to Music
This perfectly captures the YouTube zeitgeist...it's just that Marker created it over twenty years earlier!

ola t
They call us neo-cinephiles

#154 Post by ola t » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:06 am

Looks like several Marker DVDs will be released in France in the fall: Level Five, Regard neuf sur Olympia 52 and Sunday in Peking + Letter to Siberia in October from a company called Tamasa, and Le Joli Mai and an 8-disc/10-film box set in November from Arte. Amazon and Fnac only have the barest of info about these; in particular, I've no idea what subtitles and/or narration tracks might be included, nor anything about extras.

I suspect that the Arte set may just consist of their previously released Marker discs plus the new Le Joli Mai. Some of those discs have been English-friendly, some not.

Regard neuf sur Olympia 52 seems to be a re-edit of and/or documentary about Olympia 52, made by Julien Feraut with Marker's blessing.

Documaniaque

#155 Post by Documaniaque » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:20 pm

I saw the Joli Mai restauration recently in the cinema. It looked pretty good; but be aware they apparently cut 20 or so minutes from the original run time, supposedly in accordance with Marker's pre-death wishes. I imagine the DVD will also have only this shorter cut, but I could be wrong.

Sanjuro

#156 Post by Sanjuro » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:40 am

There's a Chris Marker retrospective showing 45 films at a festival near here soon. I notice Grin Without a Cat is scheduled for 4hr 15 min.
What's the difference between this and the later 3 hour version? Is it just a matter of cut sections or is it a re-edit reflecting Marker's updated thoughts or an atempt to be more relevant or something?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#157 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:03 am

Documaniaque wrote:I saw the Joli Mai restauration recently in the cinema. It looked pretty good; but be aware they apparently cut 20 or so minutes from the original run time, supposedly in accordance with Marker's pre-death wishes. I imagine the DVD will also have only this shorter cut, but I could be wrong.
Potemkine release of Le Joli Mai Note the 17 minute cut scene which may or may not be the excised chunk. Note also english subs on supplements.
http://www.potemkine.fr/Potemkine-fiche ... 13237.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is indeed edited by ARTE but there's seems to be more info on the Potemkine boutique page

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#158 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:35 pm

I now have the Planete Marker box in my hot sweaty mitts If anyone wants to know anything specific fire away

otis

#159 Post by otis » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:51 am

Which films have English soundtracks?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#160 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:03 pm

SANS SOLEIL- LA JETEE- LE JOLI MAI- (NOT Autour de Joli Mai) - with english soundtrack option

otis

#161 Post by otis » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks. Am I right in presuming no English subtitles on anything?

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#162 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:02 pm

otis wrote:Thanks. Am I right in presuming no English subtitles on anything?
No there are english subs on Le Fond - Autour de Joli Mai- Loin du Vietnam- Le Tombeau d'Alexandre-
I have yet to watch the Sixties collection to see what's what there

magicmarker

#163 Post by magicmarker » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:38 pm

That's very good news, Nabob. Thanks.

Just to chip in here: I picked up the Lettre de Siberie/Dimanche a Pekin disk, and while it does not have English subs (regrettably), it does look pretty good for a 16mm transfer and both newly restored by the Centre National de Cinema. Certainly better than the digitized print of Lettre I saw at the Bibliotheque Nationale a decade ago (viewed on a computer terminal on to which the film was streamed -- it froze numerous times). I now await the Planete set.

rumblefish

#164 Post by rumblefish » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:07 am

But there are French subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for all films?

JamesF

#165 Post by JamesF » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:04 am

Soda Pictures are releasing a three-disc Marker set in the UK very soon (1 BD + 2 DVDs), including some English-language home premieres. More details once I can announce them shortly...

Numero Trois

#166 Post by Numero Trois » Sat May 21, 2016 7:39 am

Arte to Release “La Trilogie des Balkans” Chris Marker DVD
In an email from April 26th, Sabrina Bendali of Arte France writes of the upcoming release of three Chris Marker films that have been put together into a “Balkan Trilogy.” The overall title of the DVD is La trilogie des Balkans, set for DVD release on June 7, 2016 and containing the following films:

Le 20 heures dans les camps (1993, 26″)
Casque Blue (1995, 26″)
Un maire au Kosovo (2000, 27″)

Additional materials and details:

Slon Tango (4 min. short)
interviews with François Crémieux and Jean-Michel Frodon (30 min.)
accompanying booklet (20 pages)
TRT: 2 hours
Language: French with French sub-titles for deaf and hearing-impaired

Swift

#167 Post by Swift » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Does anybody know who does the English narration on Letter from Siberia? A quick google seems to suggest that it's never been revealed/widely known.

senseabove

#168 Post by senseabove » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Icarus Films has restored (and is presumably releasing in some form on November 13th?) Marker's 13-part tv series on the influence of the Greeks, The Owl's Legacy

The Fanciful Norwegian

#169 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:52 pm

The press release says it'll be released on DVD and VOD. The restoration was actually done by the Cinémathèque française.

kuzine

#170 Post by kuzine » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:24 am

Not dvd, but Bozar in Brussels is hosting an exhibition until early next year: link (with several events attached)

kubelkind

#171 Post by kubelkind » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:47 am

The restored Owl's Legacy has been out on DVD in France for a while c/o Arte Editions. I picked one up from the Cinematheque Francais bookshop in May. It looks great and is completely English-friendly on the discs (not the accompanying book though).

zedz

#172 Post by zedz » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:06 pm

kubelkind wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:47 am
The restored Owl's Legacy has been out on DVD in France for a while c/o Arte Editions. I picked one up from the Cinematheque Francais bookshop in May. It looks great and is completely English-friendly on the discs (not the accompanying book though).
Thanks for the information. Amazon gives no indication that it was English-friendly. It looks like the Balkan Trilogy is already out on Arte too (and a Memoires pour Simone set I'd completely missed), and there's a DVD of Si j'avais quartre dromedaires as well, from another label. Does anybody have info on whether any of those other discs are English-friendly as well?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#173 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:03 pm

This is the resource I use to check if a French release is English-friendly -- it says no English subs for Si j'avais quartre dromedaires, Memoires pour Simone, or La trilogie des Balkans (though French subs on the latter two sets)

dadaistnun

#174 Post by dadaistnun » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:58 pm

The Icarus set of The Owl's Legacy is up at Amazon - street date November 13

dadaistnun

#175 Post by dadaistnun » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:46 am

There's a new BR of Sans Soleil coming from Potemkine (their site lists a street date of October 6, but I saw a comment on Facebook referring to a December release). It will come with a reprint of Marker's Le dépays, a scan of which you can view on the Internet Archive.