Chris Marker on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
zedz

#51 Post by zedz » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:47 pm

Chris Marker's latest film, free to view on the Cahiers website. Cat lovers approach with caution.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#52 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:50 pm

zedz wrote:Chris Marker's latest film, free to view on the Cahiers website. Cat lovers approach with caution.
Why should I approach with caution? Seriously...

He can't do harm to cats can he? He calls them gods!

zedz

#53 Post by zedz » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:59 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote: He can't do harm to cats can he? He calls them gods!
Don't worry, the only harm done is to their egos. I'm pleased to say that my cat would behave in an entirely more valorous and ruthless way to the same situation.

Kinsayder

#54 Post by Kinsayder » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:03 am

Has CM been posting on YouTube?
zedz wrote:I'm pleased to say that my cat would behave in an entirely more valorous and ruthless way to the same situation.
Ha! My cat's scared of spiders. Not just the big ones, either.

ltfontaine

#55 Post by ltfontaine » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:30 am

Marker enthusiasts should know about three items available on a limited basis from the Wexner Center, at Ohio State University, in Columbus. The first derives from Marker's exhibition, [url=http://store.wexnercenterstore.com/stbaledbowpo.html]“Staring Backâ€

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#56 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Thanks for the links, but it's killing me, I can't really afford these now.

Staring Back is cheaper on Barnes and Noble at 23 bucks. I'll wait until Friday to order it. This is the link!

Is their any good literature available in English on Marker? This only book I've been able to find, and purely by accident was This one and is very, very indepth about his career from his early days at Cahiers du Cinema, and his relation with Bazin and the rest of the new wave filmmakers. It's covers everything except for Case of the Grinning Cat.

Only major problem is that the book covers so miuch, but I've seen so little. How can a man who's made so much have practically nothing available outside of La Jetee and Sans Soliel?

I'm happy to see him making his first crazy cat video with a hilarious intro!

Someone needs to archive all his short films and put them on a disc. He's made so much, but nothing is available, and he doesn't seemed opposed at all to DVDs. There has to be a company that wouldn't mine, maybe Criterion?

Oh, and while we're on the topic of cats, mine wouldn't run away, it would sniff the rat, and follow it all over the house. Hell, my cat isn't really scared of anything except for my loud yells if he tries to take my food.

Kinsayder

#57 Post by Kinsayder » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:14 pm

Staring Back is even cheaper at Amazon.com. It's also at Amazon.co.uk. In fact, it seems to be very widely available for such a limited print run. Or does the Wexner site mean that the limited edition of 500 is for the book+postcards set?
The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:Is their any good literature available in English on Marker?
I do like Catherine Lupton's book Memories of the Future.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#58 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:53 pm

Kinsayder wrote:Staring Back is even cheaper at Amazon.com. It's also at Amazon.co.uk. In fact, it seems to be very widely available for such a limited print run. Or does the Wexner site mean that the limited edition of 500 is for the book+postcards set?
I caved in and picked it up tonight at a nearby bookstore. The Wexner one comes with 15 postcards, mine didn't. I'm assuming the postcards are just stills from the book printed on glossy paper.

Amazing photos, and everything Marker says is beautiful, or filled with thoughts on cats. My kind of guy.

Gus

#59 Post by Gus » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:18 pm

1.Has anyone here heard about a dvd release of Grin Without a Cat?
2. Has Marker recorded a English voice over for all his films?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#60 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:58 pm

Gus wrote:1.Has anyone here heard about a dvd release of Grin Without a Cat?
There's a French release, I'm not sure about the subtitles or if it has an English dub. Not all his films have the dub, either. Last Bolshevik and Level 5 don't have dubbed versions that I know of.

Anyone know where I can get a copy of Level 5, by the way? Bootleg or not?

Toxicologist

#61 Post by Toxicologist » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:12 am

Gus wrote:Anyone know where I can get a copy of Level 5, by the way? Bootleg or not?
It is available in a 2 disc set along with La Jetee and Sans Soleil in Italy.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#62 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:10 pm

Toxicologist wrote:
Gus wrote:Anyone know where I can get a copy of Level 5, by the way? Bootleg or not?
Are there any subtitles?

magicmarker

#63 Post by magicmarker » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:21 am

There's a bootleg Level 5 out there on a number of torrents. The quality isn't great (from a VHS I suspect) and there are some glitches (as if the guy's screen saver starts up while he's copying the VHS), but it has English subtitles. But it is definitely worth a look, as it seems like the only way to see Level 5 unless you can track down the VHS or someone puts out a DVD. I was hoping that Intermedio would come through with this and others, but they haven't appeared yet, for whatever reason.

backstreetsbackalright

#64 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote: Not all his films have the dub, either. Last Bolshevik and Level 5 don't have dubbed versions that I know of.
The Last Bolshevik DVD comes with an English spoken version.

spencerw

#65 Post by spencerw » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:58 am

A DVD format download of The Case Of The Grinning Cat can now be bought from Doc Air. No word about subs, though.

MichaelB

#66 Post by MichaelB » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:47 am

spencerw wrote:A DVD format download of The Case Of The Grinning Cat can now be bought from Doc Air. No word about subs, though.
If I interpret "audio track: eng/subtitles: none" correctly, it's in English to begin with.

Kinsayder

#67 Post by Kinsayder » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:49 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Toxicologist wrote:
Are there any subtitles?
Optional Italian subs only.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#68 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:38 pm

spencerw wrote:A DVD format download of The Case Of The Grinning Cat can now be bought from Doc Air. No word about subs, though.
Website doesn't sell to U.S. computers.

Damn IP address.

Blackmail Is My Life

#69 Post by Blackmail Is My Life » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:47 pm

Gus wrote:1.Has anyone here heard about a dvd release of Grin Without a Cat?
I cross my fingers that someday this will happen in some unbelievable boxset with a ton of extras, booklet, etc. I've seen it in the theater twice and am see something different every time. It explains what happened to the New Left better than any other doc I've ever seen. I take heart knowing that AK and now Jetee/Soleil are some indication that more Marker will end up on DVD.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#70 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:42 am

Problem is everyone only cares about La Jetee, and it's what people know him for. It's the same thing as it it for Orson Welles. People know them for one movie, and could give a damn about the rest.

For the techno savvy, I've downloaded a rediculous amounts of Chris Marker via Bittorrent, and dispite the quality of most of the videos, everything is amazing. I can only hope for a official release of more Marker in the US.

Toxicologist

#71 Post by Toxicologist » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:02 am

Whilst perusing a French website i noticed Arte Video in France are scheduled to release a Chris Marker - 'Sixties' boxset on 24th April 2008.

backstreetsbackalright

#72 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:31 am

Toxicologist wrote:Whilst perusing a French website i noticed Arte Video in France are scheduled to release a Chris Marker - 'Sixties' boxset on 24th April 2008.
:o

Kinsayder

#73 Post by Kinsayder » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:42 am

Le fond de l'air est rouge (Grin Without a Cat) (1977) is listed at Amazon for a release on 24th April. The film is about the Sixties, and would probably need to be spread over 2 discs, so maybe that is the Arte release.

Toxicologist

#74 Post by Toxicologist » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:50 pm

Kinsayder wrote:Le fond de l'air est rouge (Grin Without a Cat) (1977) is listed at Amazon for a release on 24th April. The film is about the Sixties, and would probably need to be spread over 2 discs, so maybe that is the Arte release.
Sorry for any confusion, you are correct now that i have actually read the information properly as opposed to merely scanning over it etc.

magicmarker

#75 Post by magicmarker » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:55 pm

I ran across another press release from dvdrama.com:
-Coffret Chris Marker « Les sixties ».
Pour la première fois en DVD, Le fond de l’air est rouge, dans la dernière version de Chris Marker, accompagné par A bientôt j’espère, La 6ème face du pentagone, et L’ambassade.
Une coédition ARTE Vidéo/ISKRA et I.N.A
If this is accurate then the 24 euro amazon.fr price is a steal. Perhaps we're looking at a two disk set featuring Marker's 1993 version of the film which runs about 3 hours. Spread over two disks and with three other films running a little under 2hrs, this seems reasonable. Maybe we'll even have subs on this one, or at least the English voice over for Le fond since the 1993 version was released in the US.

Either way, I've already preordered. I didn't think we'd see these film on DVD any time soon, but I guess this coincides with the 40th anniversary of May '68.