MGM Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Jean-Luc Garbo

Re: MGM Catalog Titles on Blu

#226 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:13 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Is the remastered blu of Robocop really just the R-rated cut? Is this as bad as I think it sounds?
Where have you heard this? It is definitely the uncut version.
This was mentioned in one of Matt Prigge's columns at Metro. It was strange news to read, but I'm glad it's not the case after all.

criterion10

#227 Post by criterion10 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:34 pm

Is anyone else very excited for The Birdcage? I personally think it's better than La Cage Aux Folles...

FrauBlucher

#228 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:48 pm

John Doe wrote:METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER CELEBRATES 90 YEARS OF EXTRAORDINARY FILMMAKING

Los Angeles, CA (January 22, 2014) – Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) announced today a yearlong global campaign to honor the studio’s storied 90-year legacy. Founded in 1924 when theater magnate Marcus Loew bought and merged Metro Pictures Corp. with Goldwyn Pictures and Louis B. Mayer Productions, MGM and its legendary roaring lion logo signify the golden era of Hollywood to film lovers around the world. Since its inception, the company has led the industry in creating some of Hollywood’s greatest stars and is home to over 175 Academy Award®-winning films, including 14 Best Pictures.

“What a supreme honor it is to preside over a company with such an unparalleled legacy. It’s remarkable to have this opportunity to reflect on MGM’s amazing achievements in film history while also looking ahead to MGM’s bright and promising future,” said Gary Barber, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.

Additionally, several of MGM’s signature films including Rocky, Rain Man, Fargo, RoboCop and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, have been
meticulously restored in 4K resolution (four times the clarity of HD) and will be presented on Blu-ray™ for a beautiful, high-definition home viewing experience. These re-releases will be issued through MGM’s home entertainment partner, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, and are now available for pre-order on Amazon.

Other initiatives to mark the company’s 90th anniversary include:

● MGM will complement its already vast collection of films currently available on Blu-ray™ by releasing new titles across all genres throughout the year. Upcoming titles for release include In the Heat of the Night, A Chorus Line,and The Birdcage.
I am not sure what any of this means considering their true glory days were from the Golden Age of Hollywood in the 30s and 40s, and that catalogue is currently owned by Warner Bros. Will WB take part in this celebration?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#229 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Can you imagine a world where the three unreleased titles you tease to get consumers excited are In the Heat of the Night, A Chorus Line, and the Birdcage? Because we're living in that world and I wish we weren't. When's Hale-Bopp coming back again?

EddieLarkin

#230 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:32 am

The Man with No Name Trilogy 4K remaster available on Amazon. The press release above only mentions The Good, the Bad and the Ugly so the other two Dollars films are a welcome surprise.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#231 Post by tenia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:39 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:The Man with No Name Trilogy 4K remaster available on Amazon. The press release above only mentions The Good, the Bad and the Ugly so the other two Dollars films are a welcome surprise.
Nice way to confuse people about which titles have been redone, MGM. \:D/

EddieLarkin

#232 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:53 pm

It would be pretty awful of them to advertise the trilogy as newly 4K'd, to then just shove the old A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More discs in it.

rwaits

#233 Post by rwaits » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:59 pm

Another poster mentioned that only Good Bad Ugly will be given the 4K treatment while the other titles in the box will be the previous issues. I'm fairly certain that's the case still.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#234 Post by tenia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:12 pm

That's what I was refering to. I've only read about The Good The Bad The Ugly to be newly redone through a 4K restoration, while the other two would likely be using the old discs / sources. I've never read anywhere about the whole 3 things being redone, but I might have missed it somewhere.

captveg

#235 Post by captveg » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:51 pm

5/6/14

Weekend at Bernie's (1989)

Per foxconnect.com

Movie-Brat

#236 Post by Movie-Brat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:52 am

In my case, I'm recently the proud owner of Thelma and Louise and Night of the Comet (via Shout Factory).
rwaits wrote:Another poster mentioned that only Good Bad Ugly will be given the 4K treatment while the other titles in the box will be the previous issues. I'm fairly certain that's the case still.
What? They don't get the special treatment too?

John Doe

#237 Post by John Doe » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:39 am

A Fistful of Dynamite aka Duck, You Sucker is coming out on blu-ray this year.

Jameson281

#238 Post by Jameson281 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Movie-Brat wrote:In my case, I'm recently the proud owner of Thelma and Louise and Night of the Comet (via Shout Factory).
rwaits wrote:Another poster mentioned that only Good Bad Ugly will be given the 4K treatment while the other titles in the box will be the previous issues. I'm fairly certain that's the case still.
What? They don't get the special treatment too?
The 4K restoration of THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY was really a project by the Cineteca di Bologna; MGM had little involvement beyond providing about half of the funds.

criterion10

#239 Post by criterion10 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Jameson281 wrote:The 4K restoration of THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY was really a project by the Cineteca di Bologna; MGM had little involvement beyond providing about half of the funds.
What are the chances that the original Italian audio tracks will be included?

Movie-Brat

#240 Post by Movie-Brat » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:53 pm

Jameson281 wrote:The 4K restoration of THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY was really a project by the Cineteca di Bologna; MGM had little involvement beyond providing about half of the funds.
Oh. That makes sense.

Jameson281

#241 Post by Jameson281 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:57 pm

criterion10 wrote:What are the chances that the original Italian audio tracks will be included?
Since the Italian was on the last Blu-ray, I imagine it will also be on the new one.

Lowry_Sam

#242 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:34 pm

Jameson281 wrote:
criterion10 wrote:What are the chances that the original Italian audio tracks will be included?
Since the Italian was on the last Blu-ray, I imagine it will also be on the new one.
It's not on my blu-ray (I have The Man With No Name trilogy box, not the individual release), did they get a bunch of complaints & fix this in a later pressing? I don't have the disc at hand, but if I remember correctly mine only had 5 audio options: English 5.1 (no original mono), French, Spanish, Portuguese & Korean.

Ashirg

#243 Post by Ashirg » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:28 am

6/3/14

The Birdcage (1996)

Jameson281

#244 Post by Jameson281 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:18 am

Ashirg wrote:The Birdcage (1996)
THE BIRDCAGE has a director-approved transfer, BTW.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#245 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:30 am

Steve McQueen Blu-ray set coming in May, no indicator what's included yet:

TMDaines

#246 Post by TMDaines » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:34 am

domino harvey wrote:Steve McQueen Blu-ray set coming in May, no indicator what's included yet:
Given the cover, I presume you are subtly joking. \:D/

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#247 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:36 am

I mean we don't know the full extent of what's included. Obviously the Great Escape will be one of the titles

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#248 Post by tenia » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:39 am

I guess it's the same movies than the French set : The Great Escape, The Magnificient Seven, Thomas Crown & The Sand Pebbles. The French boxset also included the book by William Claxton.

whaleallright

#249 Post by whaleallright » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:25 pm

FWIW I got the MGM Blu-Ray of The Black Stallion. It looks utterly fantastic; there's lots of real, late-'70s-vintage grain, and on first viewing no evidence of much digital mucking about. Rumor has it that cinematographer Caleb Deschanel supervised the transfer, so perhaps this shouldn't be a surprise. Alan Splet's complex Dolby soundtrack (which won an Oscar) also comes through crisply with all its dynamism and subtlety intact.

Unfortunately there are no bonus features outside of the original trailer. In fact there isn't even a "home" menu, just a pop-up menu. This is a shame, not only because there were a number of possibilities (the recently-restored Carroll Ballard short Rodeo, for example) but because Ballard has long been a neglected figure and it would do good to raise his profile. Maybe Disney could license Never Cry Wolf to Criterion....

rwaits

#250 Post by rwaits » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Not that it means much, but the commenters at bluray.com don't agree concerning PQ. Are there any caps of this release anywhere?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Black ... serReviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;