Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
captveg

Re: Paramount Catalog Titles on Blu

#326 Post by captveg » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:56 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:39 pm
Is anyone else surprised that Atlantic City has not been released on bluray or at least licensed out? Not even sure if the Paramount DVD is still in print. Could there be a rights issue for this? This seems like it could be solid Criterion release.
This is one of the "limbo" titles. By that I mean Paramount has a policy to not license out titles they themselves released on DVD. (They have broken this policy for a handful of titles, but only with Criterion). So, titles like Atlantic City, Roman Holiday, Hud, Paper Moon, Bringing Out the Dead, The Court Jester, The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, and The Tenant are languishing on the Blu-ray sideline in North America, because Paramount won't release them themselves, nor will they license them to Kino/Shout/Arrow. So while it's great that Kino (and Olive before them) were able to license so many Republic holdings and never-before-on-DVD titles from Paramount, these more prestigious/popular titles remain absent on Blu-ray.

Disney has the same archaic policy for their Touchstone/Hollywood Pictures titles they didn't previously package to Mill Creek.

FrauBlucher

#327 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:37 pm

What a shitty policy. Can Paramount’s rights lapse with Malle’s estate or one of the number of production companies take back rights?

captveg

#328 Post by captveg » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:48 am

With the new animated feature coming out, Paramount will finally be releasing Addams Family Values (1993) on Blu-ray on 10/1/19 (along with reissuing the first film).

Far more surprising, though, is the 9/24/19 release of the Holocaust (1978) Mini-Series.

Monterey Jack

#329 Post by Monterey Jack » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Hopefully this means that the Paramount Vault is finally beginning to crack open. They've been holding too many great films hostage from being preserved on an HD disc for too long.

captveg

#330 Post by captveg » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:53 pm

CBS/Paramount are also releasing The Stand (1994) Mini-Series on 9/24/19

Monterey Jack

#331 Post by Monterey Jack » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:01 pm

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-vide ... s-include/

A ton of Paramount titles coming from Scream Factory, which is a very encouraging sign for consumers of physical media. :D

FrauBlucher

#333 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 pm

Paramount loves milking this one title. I can't wait for the holographic version of this.

EddieLarkin

#334 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:42 pm

The Blu-ray was already poor and outdated quality wise when it was first released 10 years ago. A modern 4K transfer is long overdue. Making it available on UHD with HDR is a sweetener (the latter of which does not imply revisionism, as many will mistakenly think).

FrauBlucher

#335 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:43 am

I appreciate their effort to put out IAWL in the best way possible, especially after several Anniversary editions of the same dated transfer. But where in the world are the other great Paramount catalogue titles that seem to be entombed like a bunch of mummies?

senseabove

#336 Post by senseabove » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:58 pm

Just read through the description and this seems unusual: "The 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack includes the black-and-white film in 4K high definition, as well as a colorized version on Blu-ray, along with three special features new to 4K Blu-ray disc: "Restoring a Beloved Classic," "Secrets from the Vault," and "It's A Wonderful Wrap Party." A 2-Disc Blu-ray set will also be available that includes the newly remastered film in black-and-white, along with a colorized version and the three special features listed above."

So you can get the B&W 4K + Colorized BD, OR you can get the B&W BD + Colorized BD. But there's no "future proofing" option if you want the B&W BD now and the B&W 4k disc for later.

And is this the first 4k release of a born-B&W, studio-era film (i.e. excluding the modern B&W de-colorizations like Mad Max)?

EddieLarkin

#337 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:40 pm

senseabove wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:58 pm
And is this the first 4k release of a born-B&W, studio-era film (i.e. excluding the modern B&W de-colorizations like Mad Max)?
Yes. I believe the only other true B&W film on UHD is Schindler's List, though of course that isn't a studio era film nor is it completely B&W.

This won't be the oldest film on UHD for long though as The Wizard of Oz is coming around the same time.

senseabove

#338 Post by senseabove » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:33 pm

Then I'll be curious to hear folks who've claimed that B&W film can benefit from HDR as much/more than color chime in once it's out.

EddieLarkin

#339 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:39 pm

There's a good example of what is possible here.

andyli

#340 Post by andyli » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:09 am

senseabove wrote:
Depending on how loosely you define 'studio-era', Gaumont's Les Tontons Flingueurs was released back in 2017, which is probably the first B&W classic film on 4K UHD.

senseabove

#341 Post by senseabove » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:39 pm
There's a good example of what is possible here.
Thanks! Now I'm going to spend my coffee time googling film stocks.
andyli wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:09 am
Depending on how loosely you define 'studio-era', Gaumont's Les Tontons Flingueurs was released back in 2017, which is probably the first B&W classic film on 4K UHD.
I'd think that qualifies for the purposes of the question, but sounds like that 4k disc doesn't use HDR, which is where the hypothetical benefit would be, if I've understood things correctly.

EddieLarkin

#342 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:47 pm

Yes, due to the diminishing returns one experiences with every doubling of resolution, watching a 4K transfer in 2160p is not going to be hugely different to watching it in 1080p (and possibly not at all from the more common viewing distances). Certainly not anything like the revelatory difference between 1080p and SD. This is why UHDs of 2K films are just as worthy as a 4K, because HDR is what makes the real difference.

Texas Chain Saw Massacre is available on a non-HDR 4K disc in Germany, but due to the excellent encoding of the 1080p Second Sight disc of the same 4K transfer, the consensus is that the latter is superior.

solaris72

#343 Post by solaris72 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:21 pm

senseabove wrote:
Just read through the description and this seems unusual: "The 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack includes the black-and-white film in 4K high definition, as well as a colorized version on Blu-ray, along with three special features new to 4K Blu-ray disc: "Restoring a Beloved Classic," "Secrets from the Vault," and "It's A Wonderful Wrap Party." A 2-Disc Blu-ray set will also be available that includes the newly remastered film in black-and-white, along with a colorized version and the three special features listed above."

So you can get the B&W 4K + Colorized BD, OR you can get the B&W BD + Colorized BD. But there's no "future proofing" option if you want the B&W BD now and the B&W 4k disc for later.

Not studio-era but Schindler's List was "born-B&W".

EDIT: Missed EddieLarkin's post above.

KJones77

#344 Post by KJones77 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:42 pm

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... ount=34208
Paramount will be releasing some of their essentials in 2020
Very exciting, but curious to see what titles and how.

FrauBlucher

#345 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:37 pm

I’ll pass judgement when they’re announced. Not confident their ‘essential’ means the same for me

Luke M

#346 Post by Luke M » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:06 pm

I've always felt Paramount thinks Top Gun is their most essential movie. It's been released 14 different ways on blu-ray already.

captveg

#347 Post by captveg » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:11 pm

Luke M wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:06 pm
I've always felt Paramount thinks Top Gun is their most essential movie. It's been released 14 different ways on blu-ray already.
I'm expecting the 4K UHD of Top Gun next summer when the sequel releases.

Hopefully the "essentials" include Hud and Roman Holiday, among others.

FrauBlucher

#348 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:52 pm

If I went UHD this is a title I’d pick up...The Hunt for Red October

captveg

#349 Post by captveg » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Some recent comments recently from the KL Insider. They did not get another Paramount deal at this time, but perhaps later in 2020 or 2021. For right now Kino considered the licensing cost too high. So, not sure if any other labels aside from Criterion or Shout will crack the Paramount "previously released on DVD via Paramount" barrier, but perhaps Arrow can still.

KL Insider did suggest again that Paramount intends to step up their catalog BD game in 2020, this time specifically in regards to Targets.

agnamaracs

#350 Post by agnamaracs » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:28 am

captveg wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:50 pm
KL Insider did suggest again that Paramount intends to step up their catalog BD game in 2020, this time specifically in regards to Targets.
I think that was in reference to Arthur Penn's Target.