Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

Re: Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

#26 Post by Brian C » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:15 am

Harvey?

fdm

#27 Post by fdm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:58 pm

Brian C wrote:Harvey?
Yes!

Brian C

#28 Post by Brian C » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Don't me wrong, I'm happy to see any classic studio movies on Blu (and catalog releases in general) ... just seems like an especially arbitrary choice by Uni.

fdm

#29 Post by fdm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:38 pm

Brian C wrote:Don't me wrong, I'm happy to see any classic studio movies on Blu (and catalog releases in general) ... just seems like an especially arbitrary choice by Uni.
100th anniversary, one person's arbitrary is another person's classic, etc. (Me, I could think of a lot of would rather sees.)

matrixschmatrix

#30 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:47 pm

In my experience, Harvey is a movie often beloved by people who don't watch a lot of older movies. I'll happily buy it, too, it's a charming movie.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#31 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:00 pm

In my experience it's a film everyone seems to know but no one seems to have actually seen

eerik

#32 Post by eerik » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:00 am

Has anybody bought the UK release of Psycho recently? I've heard that the regular edition now includes the booklet, which initially was exclusive to steelbook edition. Can anybody confirm that? Also, it's less than five pounds in The Hut Group stores.

Brian C

#33 Post by Brian C » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:29 pm

domino harvey wrote:In my experience it's a film everyone seems to know but no one seems to have actually seen
I know it due to the prominent and witty reference to it in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. But I haven't seen it.

Noiradelic

#34 Post by Noiradelic » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:23 pm

domino harvey wrote:In my experience it's a film everyone seems to know but no one seems to have actually seen
I've been meaning to watch it... for the last 25 years.

triodelover

#35 Post by triodelover » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Well, I own the R1 DVD of Harvey and I watch a lot of older movies. First time I saw it I was a boy in the '50s at a Saturday matinee. I was, of course, mesmerized by the idea one could have a 6ft tall invisible white rabbit as a friend. It's also the film that caused me to fall in love with Jimmy Stewart the actor. Second time I saw the film was on one of those ubiquitous [fill in the blank] Night at the Movies that followed the success of Saturday Night at the Movies on TV in the early '60s.

It's not great art, but the gentleness of Elwood and Josephine Hull's Veta (everybody has a Veta somewhere in their family if you look hard enough) make it a pleasant (and I mean that in all the positive ways the word can be employed) evening's entertainment. There are worse things than spending nearly two hours smiling. I'd snap up a Blu in a New York minute.

Mr Sausage

#36 Post by Mr Sausage » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Harvey was a childhood staple. My dad had a version he'd taped off tv, and we would all regularly sit down as a family to watch it. Took me a few years to realize that Harvey probably wasn't real.

triodelover

#37 Post by triodelover » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:Took me a few years to realize that Harvey probably wasn't real.
He's not???!!!

matrixschmatrix

#38 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:04 pm

triodelover wrote:
Mr Sausage wrote:Took me a few years to realize that Harvey probably wasn't real.
He's not?
I actually think he is, within the world of the movie- iirc there are some supernatural things that are either spectacular coincidences or meant to imply that there really is a six foot invisible rabbit púca hopping around.

I've always wondered if Donnie's imaginary friend in Donnie Darko was meant to be a reference.

jmp

#39 Post by jmp » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:42 pm

eerik wrote:Has anybody bought the UK release of Psycho recently? I've heard that the regular edition now includes the booklet, which initially was exclusive to steelbook edition. Can anybody confirm that? Also, it's less than five pounds in The Hut Group stores.
I ordered the regular Blu-ray edition of Psycho on 26th December 2011 from Amazon UK and it does not include the booklet.

Roger Ryan

#40 Post by Roger Ryan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:Harvey was a childhood staple. My dad had a version he'd taped off tv, and we would all regularly sit down as a family to watch it. Took me a few years to realize that Harvey probably wasn't real.
Not only that, but watching the film again recently after about twenty years I recognized how dark the story's main theme is. Essentially, Stewart's character is a sensitive man who has been crushed by the real world. Any ambition or hope for love has been squeezed out of him, but instead of sliding further into depression he finds solace by floating through his life in an alcoholic state as if he was a Zen master. The creaky attempts to make HARVEY a rollicking comedy aren't very successful and they're completely undermined by the astonishingly good performance given by Stewart who creates one of the most melancholic characters I've seen in mainstream cinema.

matrixschmatrix

#41 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:Not only that, but watching the film again recently after about twenty years I recognized how dark the story's main theme is. Essentially, Stewart's character is a sensitive man who has been crushed by the real world. Any ambition or hope for love has been squeezed out of him, but instead of sliding further into depression he finds solace by floating through his life in an alcoholic state as if he was a Zen master. The creaky attempts to make HARVEY a rollicking comedy aren't very successful and they're completely undermined by the astonishingly good performance given by Stewart who creates one of the most melancholic characters I've seen in mainstream cinema.
'"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.' - that's a deeply cynical line, and I think Harvey is as much a dark movie with a sweet heart as much as It's a Wonderful Life is.

eerik

#42 Post by eerik » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:22 am

jmp wrote:
eerik wrote:Has anybody bought the UK release of Psycho recently? I've heard that the regular edition now includes the booklet, which initially was exclusive to steelbook edition. Can anybody confirm that? Also, it's less than five pounds in The Hut Group stores.
I ordered the regular Blu-ray edition of Psycho on 26th December 2011 from Amazon UK and it does not include the booklet.
Turns out it was a Swedish release. Australian release also has the booklet...

matrixschmatrix

#44 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Ooh, Bride of Frankenstein is unexpected and welcome.

Minkin

#45 Post by Minkin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:40 pm

How is Buck Privates Universal's default A&C movie? At least this might bode well for actual supplements this time around...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#46 Post by Drucker » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:12 pm

The Touch of Evil Facebook page just saw this posted:
Touch of Evil is available today on Blu-ray Combo Pack as part of Universal's Centennial Celebration. It's loaded with tons of bonus features including:
• Digital Copy of Touch of Evil
• Welle's Memo
• Theatrical Trailer
• Production Notes
• Cast and Filmmakers
Order your copy today for $12.99
Did they not get their own memo that it's not blu-ray?

Jeff

#47 Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Minkin wrote:How is Buck Privates Universal's default A&C movie? At least this might bode well for actual supplements this time around...
According to the earlier leak, A&C Meet Frankenstein is due on Blu this year too.

SternDiet

#48 Post by SternDiet » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:40 am

But still no Sternberg on blu? ](*,)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#49 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:26 pm

The Narrator Returns

#50 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:34 pm

So much for this video, where they specifically say that they leave film grain in.