Warner Catalog Titles on BD/UHD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
captveg

Re: Warner Catalog Titles on Blu

#751 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:52 pm

domino harvey wrote:Just continuing the 1939 myth I see
That may be so, but considering the output by the current major studios of titles from the 1930s on Blu-ray I'm cool with any marketing spin that gets any of these vintage films out.

I mean, look at these pathetic numbers of the major rights holders of 30s Hollywood films

Fox - 4
Sony - 1
Universal - 8
Warner - 15

At least we've got a few more from Sony and Universal via Criterion, and Paramount licensing a significant amount of the reduced 30s library they own to Olive.

FrauBlucher

#752 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:12 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:Why needlessly shove Gone with the Wind in there if you're not going to needlessly shove The Wizard of Oz in too?
So when they do a 1939 anniversary box then they will shove The Wizard of Oz in it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#753 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:19 pm

Conversation overheard at Warner HQ wrote:"So should we put out Wizard of Oz for the eleventh time?"

"No, eleven times would be too many."

PfR73

#754 Post by PfR73 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:49 pm

They're also leaving out Goodbye Mr. Chips & Wuthering Heights, and possibly Love Affair (it's public domain, but WB might own the elements?)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#755 Post by domino harvey » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:01 pm

PfR73 wrote:They're also leaving out Goodbye Mr. Chips & Wuthering Heights, and possibly Love Affair (it's public domain, but WB might own the elements?)
All three better films than Dark Victory or Dodge City. But yes captveg, I'm all for releasing any catalog titles on Blu, even those I don't care for. Just wish WB had given this even a little bit of thought beforehand

FrauBlucher

#756 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:20 pm

felipe

#757 Post by felipe » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:02 pm

domino harvey wrote:
PfR73 wrote:They're also leaving out Goodbye Mr. Chips & Wuthering Heights, and possibly Love Affair (it's public domain, but WB might own the elements?)
All three better films than Dark Victory or Dodge City. But yes captveg, I'm all for releasing any catalog titles on Blu, even those I don't care for. Just wish WB had given this even a little bit of thought beforehand
I'm quite sure they've at least considered releasing these two down the road. These boxsets have always been a mix of bigger titles with lesser-known ones.

Ashirg

#758 Post by Ashirg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:06 pm

Wuthering Heights would require a new HD transfer from Samuel Goldwyn cause the disc Warner released in 2012-2013 used the same old transfer from 1997 HBO disc.

FrauBlucher

#759 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:51 am

Next weekend the restoration of The Hunchback of Notre Dame gets it's world premier at the TCM film festival. If anyone is going or reads a review, please post.

captveg

#760 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:01 pm

7/7/15

The Cell (2000)
Virtuosity (1995) (for Paramount)

captveg

#761 Post by captveg » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:10 pm

New(est) street date for Vanilla Sky is 6/30/15. There's actually a formal press release this time, and it will have both the Theatrical Cut and a brand-new Director's Cut with an Alternate Ending.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#762 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Warners Blu-ray of Empire Records is the original heavily-truncated theatrical cut and not the later "Remix Edition" Warners put out with about half of the cut material edited back in. Guess I'm holding on to that ol' flipper DVD with Singles on the other side

captveg

#763 Post by captveg » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:59 pm

8/4/15

Blast from the Past (1999)
Free Willy (1993)
Innerspace (1987)

colinr0380

#764 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:04 pm

captveg wrote:New(est) street date for Vanilla Sky is 6/30/15. There's actually a formal press release this time, and it will have both the Theatrical Cut and a brand-new Director's Cut with an Alternate Ending.
I'm wondering whether this might potentially include the shooting spree scene. In the original Spanish film Abre los Ojos, we get a scene of the hero going on a shooting spree killing security guards in the lobby of the building before we move to the roof. That scene doesn't appear in Vanilla Sky, at least as originally released on DVD, though interestingly in the trailer there was a very brief shot of Cruise wielding a gun in the lobby. I can only presume it was decided not to include it at the last moment. Maybe it will turn up in this new edition!

criterion10

#765 Post by criterion10 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:06 pm

An early screenshot comparison from the new Goodfellas remaster.

criterion10

#766 Post by criterion10 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:14 am

hearthesilence

#767 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:47 am

Robert Harris gave effusive praise.

Going by the screen caps, I want to say they cooled down the palette a hair too much, but it's definitely better than the old palette.

hearthesilence

#768 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 05, 2015 11:49 pm

I'm tempted to buy the reissue of Rio Bravo - most likely the same transfer though.

captveg

#769 Post by captveg » Wed May 06, 2015 12:17 pm

It does have lossless audio now, but being mono I'm not sure if you'd be able to discern much of a difference.

FrauBlucher

#770 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:30 pm

manicsounds

#771 Post by manicsounds » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Any confirmation about the new Rio Bravo disc?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#772 Post by swo17 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:01 pm

Besides three posts up?

FrauBlucher

#773 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:56 pm

manicsounds

#774 Post by manicsounds » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:55 pm

swo17 wrote:Besides three posts up?
Considering the disc became available this week and the post above was from a month ago, I thought I'd ask if there was anyone who got the new disc.

FrauBlucher

#775 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:58 pm

This is what Robert Harris had to say about The Golden Year Boxset.
What a great set!

Everything that I've been hearing is that Warner Home Video is in a huge upward move toward higher quality, and more rational packages of films, when in boxed sets.

This may be one of the final sets to emerge, the concept of which comes from the old, as well as new management team.

To stick to absolute facts, if this set were not all 1939 productions, with 1.37 aspect ratios, there might be problems.

But fortunately, there aren't.

Four extraordinary films, from what is generally recognized as the most critically acclaimed year in American film production, plus a leftover, which I cannot image is not owned by everyone interested in film, now relegated to being on the lower half of the bill.

The four films are:

Dark Victory (WB), directed by Edmund Goulding, with Bette Davis, George Brent, Humphrey Bogart, Geraldine Fitzgerald and Ronald Reagan;

Dodge City (WB), directed by Michael Curtiz, with Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Ann Sheridan and Bruce Cabot;

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (RKO), directed William Dieterle, with Charles Laughton, Cedric Hardwicke, Thomas Mitchell, Maureen O'Hara and Edmond O'Brien, and;

Ninotchka (M-G-M), directed by Ernst Lubitsch, with Greta Garbo, Melvyn Douglas, Ina Claire, Bela Lugosi, and Sig Ruman.

Technically, for this set, they differ in several ways.

The images of all but Ninotchka are harvested from original camera negatives, as that single production was lost in a fire.

The scan used is derived from a very high quality fine grain master.

Dodge City is derived from an IP, produced from the original camera negatives. While a set away from Warner's ubiquitous Ultra-rez process of recombine, the IP was beautifully made, and represents the original colors and textures of the film beautifully.

Dark Victory and Hunchback are original nitrate negative harvests.

Here's where it gets interesting, and might have been problematic.

Beyond that fifth film, Hunchback is the only title to be released on a BD-50. Dodge City was set to be on a 50, but didn't make it in transition.

I bring up the BD-25 vs. BD-50 question, as inquiring minds will want to know, but beyond that simple point of reference, it makes very little difference in the final product, unless you begin to dissect the imagery, and do a grain comparison.

One of the things that I'm hearing about the new way things are being done at WB, is that BD-25s can be used for reproduction -- there is a small cost savings -- but only if the average data rate is a minimum of 30 kbs.

Dark Victory, Dodge City and Ninotchka don't make that number.

Since Ninotchka is off a fine grain, we'd probably see little difference. But William Daniels cinematography still shines.

Dark Victory is a magnificent looking film, shot by Ernest Haller, with rich, nitrate-like blacks, extraordinary shadow detail, and an overall luster that shines on the screen.

Dodge City jumps toward you, with brilliant hues of true Technicolor, gorgeous blacks, and the requisite shadow detail to go with them. Flesh tones are absolutely perfect. Sol Polito's work comes to the fore in brilliant color.

Since Hunchback is the one on the 50, you'll get a bit more crispness to the grain structure, and Joseph August's work behind the camera will at times look otherworldly. His work on Hunchback, reminds me in several ways of the way he handled imagery on Selznick's Portrait of Jennie (1948), his final film.

The bottom line is simple. Things are changes for the better at WB. We're getting down to the last of those strange boxed sets, mixing and matching films new to Blu-ray with those already in release. What that means to the consumer, is that you won't be forced to re-purchase titles you already have, in order to obtain new releases.

Quality will continue to rise, as the last of the releases on BD-25s, which make little difference for 1.37 films, but can make a huge difference for color productions in 1.78.

Dark Victory...
Image - 4.75
Audio - 5
Pass / Fail - Pass

Dodge City...
Image - 4.25
Audio - 5
Pass / Fail - Pass

Ninotchka...
Image - 4.25
Audio - 5
Pass / Fail - Pass

The Hunchback of Notre Dame...
Image - 5
Audio - 5
Pass / Fail - Pass

As an extra you'll find a documentary on the films of 1939. Not just those in this package, but the entire industry. It's a worthwhile, high quality extra, that runs 68 minutes.

The street price of The Golden Year is just over $50, which is a bargain. $12.50 per film, with a free documentary, and a fifth film that you can give to an indigent friend.

This is what home video on Blu-ray is all about, and for those potentially waiting for 4k, this is not a series of films that will be affected in any major way by the higher resolution.

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
I wasn't aware that there is a new management team running WHV. That explains Warner going deep into the vaults for upgrades, as well as licensing out titles. I thought new folks needed to get in there to make things happen. \:D/