Rio Bravo

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
tryavna

#26 Post by tryavna » Thu May 24, 2007 11:50 am

Gregory wrote:As for Gary's comments: The nicknaming was a very conscious decision that gave an important dimension to the Hawksian group -- I don't see how noting all the nicknames is a criticism. I also don't understand how the "ever present studio association" made it "contrived." Contrived in what way? And what can it mean to call Hawks a "master tactician." This seems very different from acknowledging him as an artist. Is it to suggest he didn't put enough of himself personally into his work?
Frankly, I'm surprised that you actually try to read Gary's reviews of the content of the films. For all the enormous help he provides us with his site, Gary has never had a very great felicity with language. (Just look again at his choice of a winner for the Setsuko Hara competition he held a few months ago.)

I'm much more interested to see what Glenn Erickson has to say about the film when (and if) he gets around to it at Savant. After a fairly bad slide in quality during the previous year and a half, his reviews have become fairly interesting again this year.

Matt

#27 Post by Matt » Thu May 24, 2007 1:24 pm

filmfan wrote:Could someone tell me the marketing logic of ALL of these John Wayne releases at once ?

I understand the date significance but what about the marketing importance ?
Fathers Day. Gramps just loves the Duke.

Gregory

#28 Post by Gregory » Thu May 24, 2007 1:51 pm

tryavna wrote:Frankly, I'm surprised that you actually try to read Gary's reviews of the content of the films.
I almost never do, but those two paragraphs caught my eye this time, possibly because they're at the top and it was taking awhile for the page to load all the way.
Anyway, I was just responding to the canard from TimeOut as well as to Gary's assortment of remarks the same way I might if someone posted similar things on this forum.

starmanof51

#29 Post by starmanof51 » Thu May 24, 2007 2:09 pm

Gregory wrote:As for Gary's comments: The nicknaming was a very conscious decision that gave an important dimension to the Hawksian group -- I don't see how noting all the nicknames is a criticism.
Well, the names are more than a little silly, and put me in mind of an old Sgt. Rock comic. Some people are distanced by it, most I suppose are not. Personally I just titter, especially whenever The Duke says "Colarrodda". Oh, and "Feathers" too - an entire feature length comedy could have been constructed out of unexpected words coming from John Wayne's mouth. Rio Bravo only gives us a partial tantalizing taste of what such a film might have been like!

Gregory

#30 Post by Gregory » Thu May 24, 2007 5:22 pm

That would be funny. John Wayne was a bit of a joke in a good portion of his movies, if not most of them. I don't think this was his fault; it was a result of directors and producers thinking that once they cast him, his unique presence would be enough of a draw that the film didn't really have to have anything else to offer. The results, especially in his later films, were often unseemly. One of the things that astonishes me about The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Rio Bravo is how some combination of ingredients came together in these works that enable me to be completely convinced and captivated by Wayne's performances. There are a few other films with Wayne that I like and find richness in, but I still can't quite take him seriously in them. I'm rambling, I guess -- mostly out of feeling the anticipation of watching Rio Bravo again this weekend for the first time in over a year.

Belmondo

#31 Post by Belmondo » Thu May 24, 2007 6:39 pm

I suppose I can agree with Gregory that John Wayne was a bit of a joke in some of his movies, but he is such a larger than life figure that he cannot be dismissed. I never agreed with his politics and I do not even agree with his screen persona which I view as an overly simplistic effort to show us that real Americans are real men - but I still love the guy; how can you not?
By the way, I earlier compared RIO BRAVO unfavorably to TRUE GRIT, and concluded that RIO BRAVO was "bloated". I took the thoughtful criticism of that comment to heart and watched it again, and am ready to kind of sort of back off.
Yup, Coloradda, it's pretty damn good and I bought the new two disc edition. On the other hand, it is two hours and twenty minutes long (bloated?) and ends with one of the most preposterous showdowns ever seen with sticks of dynamite being thrown through the air and exploded by shot from the hip six-guns (yeah, THAT happened). I understand that RIO BRAVO was designed as something of a reaction to HIGH NOON, in which the sheriff was perceived as a bit weak and scared stiff, but Coop still faces down the bad guys and he does it in real time, and he does it in less than ninety minutes. No bloat there.

Gregory

#32 Post by Gregory » Wed May 30, 2007 2:36 am

A lot of re-releases with new transfers are darker than the previous editions. (Dr. Strangelove comes to mind.) Why suppose the latter way is wrong in the case of Rio Bravo? A clear sign that it's too dark would be if too much detail is obscured by the shadows and other dark areas. But I recently watched the Rio Bravo SE on my non-CRT display (that definitely does not tend toward any degree of excessive brightness) not for one moment did it appear too dark to me. I can't see any way in which the new transfer is wrong. Wayne's shirt is no longer pink/salmon colored, for one thing.

Anonymous

#33 Post by Anonymous » Wed May 30, 2007 3:58 am

Isn't the red shirt a kind of Wayne trademark? He wears a similar one in The Searchers as well.

lord_clyde

#34 Post by lord_clyde » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:29 am

Matt wrote:
filmfan wrote:Could someone tell me the marketing logic of ALL of these John Wayne releases at once ?

I understand the date significance but what about the marketing importance ?
Fathers Day. Gramps just loves the Duke.
It's a fact. My dad is from the Clint Eastwood generation, but both my grandpas love John Wayne.

hearthesilence

Rio Bravo

#35 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Did anyone catch the TCM Classic Film Festival's world premiere of their new restoration? FWIW, it was most likely a digital restoration and was screened via DCP (no film print) - I'm wondering how it looks, particularly if it's better than the muddy-looking (and out-of-print) Blu-Ray.

hearthesilence

Re: Rio Bravo

#36 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:40 am

peerpee
not perpee

#37 Post by peerpee » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:07 pm

The UK Blu-ray appears OOP. I bought it over 3 years ago but haven't watched it yet.

There's a Warners WESTERNS Blu-ray boxset out on September 17th, containing RIO BRAVO. Does anyone know whether this will be the old BD or the new restoration?

manicsounds

#38 Post by manicsounds » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:07 am

Highly unlikely to be the new restored version...

John Hodson

#39 Post by John Hodson » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:30 pm

They'll more than likely be holding the new iteration back for their anniversary releases next year; I've little doubt we'll get those BDs that don't have a lossless track re-released with one and maybe another pass at the video (The Wild Bunch, The Searchers, etc.)

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#40 Post by Drucker » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:40 pm

John Hodson wrote:They'll more than likely be holding the new iteration back for their anniversary releases next year; I've little doubt we'll get those BDs that don't have a lossless track re-released with one and maybe another pass at the video (The Wild Bunch, The Searchers, etc.)
Off-topic, but does the Wild Bunch really have that many issues?

andyli

#41 Post by andyli » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:02 pm

How many Warner blu-ray re-releases so far have updated the video? I cannot think of any. They all kept the old encodes that are 'good enough'. Cuckoo's Nest, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner, the list goes on and on.

EDIT: Casablanca has received an updated 4k scan. And presumably they are going to do the same to Oz and GWTW next year. Way to go, Warner.
Last edited by andyli on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Hodson

#42 Post by John Hodson » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:07 pm

That's precisely what they're doing with Rio Bravo? And, granted, no release date for a new BD, but one will appear.

peerpee
not perpee

#43 Post by peerpee » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:00 am

I wish I could send my stupid big 2008 US edition CASABLANCA box, and my massive WIZARD OF OZ Blu box back to Warners for some of the new 4K discs (I've already purchased the new 2012 CASABLANCA Blu). I'd be happy with just the new discs in ThinPaks. Sigh.

manicsounds

#44 Post by manicsounds » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:43 am

Someone posted on Blu-ray.com the Westerns Collection, "How The West Was Won" loses the 2nd disc. No smilebox presentation edition.

Also comes in a box with 2 Amaray cases inside, with 5 discs, 3 in the first, and 2 in the second.

Rsdio

#45 Post by Rsdio » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:55 pm

Ordinarily I'd be happy to save the space but I ordered the set thinking I could sell off the individual titles if they got upgraded. Ah well, it's cheap enough not to be too concerned about.

TMDaines

#46 Post by TMDaines » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:48 pm

I was going to pick this up too. Don't think I'll bother now.

hearthesilence

#47 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:08 am

Music Box in Chicago is screening a 35mm IB Tech print on June 18.