Disney/Buena Vista Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Disney/Buena Vista Catalog Titles on Blu

#1 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:43 am

Cocktail and the Color of Money out in June from Disney/Buena Vista

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

Re: Blu-ray, in General

#2 Post by Brian C » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:47 pm

And don't forget Ron Howard's Ransom - the 15th Anniversary Edition! A year late, but better late than never! Although it's unclear how that principle applies to actual ransom payments...

flyonthewall2983

#3 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:55 pm

domino harvey wrote:...the Color of Money out in June from Disney/Buena Vista
Holding out hope this has some special features on it. My favorite Scorsese film.

matrixschmatrix

#4 Post by matrixschmatrix » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:59 pm

Haha, so you're the one

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#5 Post by swo17 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:38 pm

Disney's upcoming Blu schedule includes several films of interest.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:41 pm

I'll be waiting by the phone for Disney to contact me about liner notes for Adventures in Babysitting

Murdoch

#7 Post by Murdoch » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:45 pm

Grosse Pointe Blank and High Fidelity! My inner teenager is overcome with glee.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:46 pm

Arachnophobia's needed a good release too, that'll be a good treat come Halloween. And the Aristocats-- my mom's favorite Disney movie, so I saw it a lot growing up

The Narrator Returns

#9 Post by The Narrator Returns » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Ed Wood!

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#10 Post by Brian C » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:59 pm

Still no Kundun though.

Jeff

#11 Post by Jeff » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Thrilled with Adventures in Babysitting, Ed Wood, Grosse Pointe Blank, High Fidelity, The Rescuers, The Absent-Minded Professor, Arachnophobia, and Dick Tracy. Perhaps Evita if they got the Criterion extras.

Grosse Pointe Blank is a favorite from college, and the old 1998 DVD was non-anamorphic, so this will be a major upgrade.

I wonder if this will be the fully loaded Dick Tracy that Disney wanted to do with Beatty, or the same ol' featureless release.

Seems like this the year studios are finally letting catalogs loose in high def. Now bring on Who Framed Roger Rabbit!

CSM126

#12 Post by CSM126 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:35 pm

Ooh, Dick Tracy! A beautiful film that is way overdue for blu. Extras or not it'll be a must have.

dwk

#13 Post by dwk » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:40 pm

hearthesilence

New York Stories [Mill Creek BD]

#14 Post by hearthesilence » Fri May 18, 2012 6:38 pm

I just got this in the mail and popped it in my Blu-Ray player, with the previous DVD running in a regular DVD player.

I've read elsewhere that the old DVD shows the movie in open-matte form, but that's absolutely false. It is definitely cropped, and it's apparent right off the bat.

In Scorsese's Life Lesson, the first short, pause it on the close up of the paint splatter on the support column, or on the glass and bottle of liquor sitting on the floor. The Blu-Ray has more image on the sides and doesn't crop the top or bottom.

Anyway, glad to have gotten this, it was only $6 from DVDPacific ($4 sale price + $2 for shipping). Packing was terrible, just an opaque plastic bag, but it got here fine.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Buena Vista Catalog Titles on Blu

#15 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:22 pm

I actually have this on my DVR. I made it as far as completing Life Lessons. Hell of a short film. You know something is that good when you wished it could have gone on for another two hours. It's fun to see Nolte before his voice got all ragged and mumbly, like it was on Luck. Great soundtrack too, with my favorite version of "Like A Rolling Stone" used in a few pivotal scenes.

hearthesilence

#16 Post by hearthesilence » Sat May 19, 2012 10:41 pm

I hadn't seen Nolte in anything in quite some time, so it was shocking to see how much his face has 'puffed up.' He had such wonderful character in his face, you can still sense it behind his beard and glasses in Life Lessons. It's a shame that's gone now.

Anyway, I agree, it's a hell of a short film, and I wouldn't hesitate it to call it one of Scorsese's top ten works.

The Coppolas' film is really, really bad. My God, it's like all things the haters hate about Sofia Coppola distilled to its worst essence. Not sure how much of the script is hers or her father's, but she was only 16 or 17 when he filmed it.

Woody Allen's film is fun. Light and frothy, not bad at all. I think some people have knocked it as an extended Jewish mother joke, but it's funny, it's a short, and it doesn't hit the same punchline over and over like so many bad SNL sketches.

captveg

#17 Post by captveg » Wed May 23, 2012 10:31 pm

Jeff wrote:Seems like this the year studios are finally letting catalogs loose in high def. Now bring on Who Framed Roger Rabbit!
Wouldn't be surprised to see it in 2013, being the 25th Anniversary and all.

manicsounds

#18 Post by manicsounds » Thu May 31, 2012 8:17 pm

dvdbeaver on "The Color Of Money
Seriously? Zero extras for this one again?

flyonthewall2983

#19 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:07 pm

:roll: Figures. I'm still hoping Criterion can do something with this sometime down the line.
captveg wrote:
Jeff wrote:Seems like this the year studios are finally letting catalogs loose in high def. Now bring on Who Framed Roger Rabbit!
Wouldn't be surprised to see it in 2013, being the 25th Anniversary and all.
Disney math says it's 2014.

captveg

#20 Post by captveg » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:08 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Disney math says it's 2014.
True :wink:

aox

#22 Post by aox » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:15 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:Blu-ray.com on The Color Of Money.
What a disaster.

captveg

#23 Post by captveg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:36 pm

aox wrote:
flyonthewall2983 wrote:Blu-ray.com on The Color Of Money.
What a disaster.
I'd say the verdict may still be out:

"The color of money, everybody knows, is green. The color of pool table felt in Martin Scorsese's 1986 movie The Color of Money is ... blue? Wait a sec--rewind. That's not quite right, is it? Actually, it's wrong. The blue pool tables in The Color of Money have nagged the makers of the film since it was shot. When Scorsese began preproduction on the sequel to the classic movie The Hustler, he toyed with the idea of shooting in black and white. The studio, Touchstone, wasn't crazy about the idea, so Scorsese opted instead to "paint with color" for this story of an aging pool shark (Paul Newman) and his cocky young protégé (Tom Cruise). For the first two-thirds of the film, which takes place largely in a wintry Chicago, Scorsese, production designer Boris Leven and cinematographer Michael Ballhaus designed the film in gray, black and white. The results were striking, with one slight hitch: "Because of the nature of the lighting, the green felt of the pool tables kept going blue," recalls film editor Thelma Schoonmaker, a longtime Scorsese collaborator. "There was nothing we could do about it, because we wanted to make sure the skin tones were right, and the overall look of the film was right; so we let it go."

Last summer, Schoonmaker was at New York's Technicolor Creative Services staring at those blue pool tables again. When the film was first made, there was no fix for the problem, but thanks to digital technology, she could now correct it easily. "All we had to do was open digital windows on the pool tables and fill them in with green, without affecting the rest of the shot," Schoonmaker explains. Why was a multiple-Oscar-winning editor concerned with color correction on a 20-year-old movie? Because, like many classics from Hollywood's archives, The Color of Money is about to be reborn."

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... 496?page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I held off writing about [Gangs of New York's first Blu-ray release] until I got an assignment from Popular Mechanics in the fall of '08, to write a major feature on the craft and art of high-definition digital transfer and how it relates to Blu-ray discs of classic and contemporary films. My hook—my 'you are almost kinda-sorta-there' anecdote for the lede—involved Martin Scorsese's editor Thelma Schoonmaker supervising a high-def transfer of Scorsese's The Color of Money. In the course of my interview with Schoonmaker, I brought up the Gangs Blu-ray, which another of my interview subjects, film preservationist and restoration expert Robert H. Harris, pronounced as among one of the worst he'd ever seen. Schoonmaker practically shuddered when I brought it up, saying that while she hadn't yet seen it, that it had been made without the input of her and Scorsese, and that she had heard what a disaster it was, and that she was almost afraid to look at it."

http://mubi.com/notebook/posts/topicsqu ... ruary-2010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Scorsese's The Color of Money is arguably an improved product over even its theatrical release, because it was remastered with care and attention."

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... /4295496-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would Disney really not bother to use the new supervised HD master for this blu-ray when they spent all the $$ to make it? Seems unlikely to me.

David M.

#24 Post by David M. » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:48 pm

Wow, that resolution is terrible. What happened?
Blu-ray.com wrote:Noise reduction is one operation that was clearly not performed on this transfer, although that won't necessarily be obvious from screencaps. It is, however, unmistakable in motion, as the frame crackles and vibrates to an extent I have rarely seen since the days of laserdisc. Depending on screen size and individual disposition, the noise may or may not be tolerable, but either way it obscures picture detail. Grain this ain't.
Actually, it's pretty apparent from looking from the screen grabs that NR *has* been performed.

What the reviewer is likely seeing is the NR filters backing off and letting noise through. Hard to say without seeing it.

aox

#25 Post by aox » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:37 pm

I get the impression from the review this is going to look like Scorsese filmed the entire thing with an ISO of 12800 on a dSLR.