Disney/Buena Vista Catalog Titles on Blu

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Monterey Jack

Re: Disney/Buena Vista Catalog Titles on Blu

#276 Post by Monterey Jack » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:30 am

I'd like to believe that, but this is Disney we're talking about, who tend to sweep flop movies under the rug and forget they even existed.

If we're wishing, though, I'd love to see the original cut of Watcher In The Woods as well.

beamish14

#277 Post by beamish14 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:57 am

Monterey Jack wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:30 am
I'd like to believe that, but this is Disney we're talking about, who tend to sweep flop movies under the rug and forget they even existed.

If we're wishing, though, I'd love to see the original cut of Watcher In The Woods as well.

Well, Disney is known for their extraordinarily meticulous archives. Whether or not it will be commercially released is another issue, but I don’t doubt that they’ve kept the material from it in good shape.

Ray Bradbury’s archives at the University of Indiana actually carries his personal VHS copies of work-in-progress cuts, too

Matt

#278 Post by Matt » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:16 am

If WALL-E isn’t a one-off Disney license, I could see Criterion releasing this.

sabbath

#279 Post by sabbath » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:16 am

Matt wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:16 am
Apparently it was, at the request of director Andrew Stanton.

eerik

#280 Post by eerik » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:44 pm

sabbath wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:16 am
Matt wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:16 am
Apparently it was, at the request of director Andrew Stanton.
True, but the way the announcement was worded makes it sound like there might be more coming in the future:
We’re proud to announce our first collaboration with Disney and Pixar: WALL•E (2008), directed by Andrew Stanton, enters the Criterion Collection on 4K UHD this November!

TBickle020776

#281 Post by TBickle020776 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:52 pm

A much needed upgrade for The Color of Money is a good place to start. Fingers crossed Criterion picks it up.

Stefan Andersson

#282 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:04 am

beamish14 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:04 pm
According to NZPete, who runs the absolutely fantastic Matte Shot blog and maintains close friendships with a lot of old school VFX people, Disney sent out invites in November for crew members who worked on Something Wicked This Way Comes to watch Jack Clayton’s original cut. Clips of this iteration also screened a number of years ago at a film music conference, but I strongly suspect they’re testing the waters and moving towards releasing this version.
This version presumably has the unused score by Georges Delerue:
https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id. ... egory=-113

Matt

#283 Post by Matt » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:55 pm

Disney really does need to cash in on the Gen-X nostalgia market while they still can, getting out top-notch, complete editions of Something Wicked This Way Comes, the Witch Mountain films, The Watcher in the Woods, and The Black Cauldron. There’s money to be made there, which might help make up for all their current Marvel flops and money-pit Star Wars TV series.

beamish14

#284 Post by beamish14 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:08 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:55 pm
Disney really does need to cash in on the Gen-X nostalgia market while they still can, getting out top-notch, complete editions of Something Wicked This Way Comes, the Witch Mountain films, The Watcher in the Woods, and The Black Cauldron. There’s money to be made there, which might help make up for all their current Marvel flops and money-pit Star Wars TV series.

Oh, absolutely. They spent a fortune a few years ago re-optioning the Chronicles of Prydain books, and the original, uncut 65mm negative of The Black Cauldron is just gathering cobwebs in their archives

beamish14

#285 Post by beamish14 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:11 pm

Stefan Andersson wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:04 am
beamish14 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:04 pm
According to NZPete, who runs the absolutely fantastic Matte Shot blog and maintains close friendships with a lot of old school VFX people, Disney sent out invites in November for crew members who worked on Something Wicked This Way Comes to watch Jack Clayton’s original cut. Clips of this iteration also screened a number of years ago at a film music conference, but I strongly suspect they’re testing the waters and moving towards releasing this version.
This version presumably has the unused score by Georges Delerue:
https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id. ... egory=-113

Yep. Delerue was scoring a much more somber, character-driven film than James Horner (who straight-up steals from John Williams in the opening)

TechnicolorAcid

#286 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:28 am

Not sure where exactly to put this but with Steamboat Willie getting out of copyright today does that mean we can expect bootlegs to start popping up everywhere in a incomplete state since those iconic opening notes appearing in the trademarked company logo? Just something interesting I’d thought I should ask.