Studio & Distributor Logos

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Studio & Distributor Logos

#26 Post by Drucker » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:35 am

Cold Bishop wrote:I'd like to go on record and state that I still wish every Paramount film opened with a funky drum break.
Paramount's "Look at our logo...in high definition!" is pretty annoying at this point.

MichaelB

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#27 Post by MichaelB » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:07 am

zedz wrote:
MichaelB wrote:By contrast, most of the rivals went on to produce idents that were insanely over-elaborate, flashy and self-consciously "impressive", and completely missed these key points.
I suppose somebody has to be the first person to post this.
Apparently British TV news producers now routinely refer to The Day Today in the context of "blimey, isn't that a little over the top?". Not that it seems to make much difference.

Sloper

#28 Post by Sloper » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:43 am

colinr0380 wrote:I quite liked the modern logo for Gaumont, though that also ends with a strange electronic whine. Presumably Jean Claude Van Damme didn't like the ending either, as he stopped it in its tracks when it played before his film!
I have to say this is the one that annoys me the most - there's something nauseatingly Spielbergian about it. And it's a serious problem when you're trying to enjoy a Feuillade serial, or the Cinema Premier sets, because you end up having to see it every few minutes... Van Damme fulfilled a long-held fantasy of mine there. Good for him.

The old Studio Canal logo is indeed comically, inexplicably awful, especially when you have to watch it once in colour, then again in black and white just before the film starts. As if it's now an inseparable part of the film, forever.

flyonthewall2983

#29 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:22 am

Cold Bishop wrote:I'd like to go on record and state that I still wish every Paramount film opened with a funky drum break.
Like this?

EddieLarkin

#30 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Tobis DVD

A variation of this is appears at the start of the otherwise perfect A Fistful of Dollars German release from Universum/Tobis. It's not separate from the main film itself, but stuck on the beginning of the runtime. It is a literally a bird shitting the distributor logo (I know it's actually supposed to be an egg, but that's clearly a cock and not a hen).

JamesF

#31 Post by JamesF » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:07 am

Props55 wrote:But by far the most hideous and excruciating precredit horror is that awful anti-piracy "warning" that Fox started using about 2005 which I first noticed about midway into the Fox Noir series. It's all dark greenishblue with flash cuts of what appear to be alleyways full of teenage runaways trading pirated discs in order to support their heroin habit and it's "scored" with what has to be the loudest, most thundering, obnoxiously grinding grunge track ever perpetrated on an unsuspecting audience for 70 year old library titles. It absolutely drives me homocidal.
I find this one much more bearable if you sing along the words to Adam Buxton's parody song.

Arrow Video's ident wins the "shrill, annoying" prize for me, not least since it also plays at a higher volume than anything else on the disc.

RossyG

#32 Post by RossyG » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:14 am

JamesF wrote:Arrow Video's ident wins the "shrill, annoying" prize for me, not least since it also plays at a higher volume than anything else on the disc.
Be fair, though, it must have taken them hours to make that on a Commodore 64.

AidanKing

#33 Post by AidanKing » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:42 am

peerpee wrote:FWIW, I designed the MoC ident in 2004 (which seems an age ago). The idea was to have projector whirr morph into very quiet birdsong as if we're entering a magical dimension each time...

In retrospect, a 3-second still (non-zooming) black and white logo, with no sound whatsoever, would be my preferred choice now.
I really like the whirring and birdsong and I find it acts exactly in the way you intended. I'm glad it's not silent and that your 2004 views prevailed.

EazyE

Re: Movie studio logos

#34 Post by EazyE » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:48 pm

Jonathan S wrote:
FWIW, I designed the MoC ident in 2004 (which seems an age ago).
Is there a way to see the MoC logo, I'd also like to see other logos like Arrow since I am a distributor logo enthusiast, there is also CLG Wiki for logo databases, "Opening to VHS/beta/LD/Blu" videos on YouTube, nothing on either