Universal MOD and DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
AfterTheRain

Re: Universal MOD and DVD

#26 Post by AfterTheRain » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:45 pm

Thread bump here with a surprise announcement: Walmart is selling an eight film western set for $5 - featuring previous Universal Vault Series titles Quantez, Seminole, and Gun for a Coward - exclusive to the retailer; The other titles in the set are previously released and include Canyon Passage, The Man from the Alamo, War Arrow, The Lawless Breed, & The Redhead from Wyoming.

I know this because I just got a copy.

Ribs

#27 Post by Ribs » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:14 am

AfterTheRain wrote:Thread bump here with a surprise announcement: Walmart is selling an eight film western set for $5 - featuring previous Universal Vault Series titles Quantez, Seminole, and Gun for a Coward - exclusive to the retailer; The other titles in the set are previously released and include Canyon Passage, The Man from the Alamo, War Arrow, The Lawless Breed, & The Redhead from Wyoming.

I know this because I just got a copy.
It's not the same price you mentioned, but here's a link to the pack on their website.

Ashirg

#28 Post by Ashirg » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:12 am

Universal also released Wartime Comedies set to Walmart that will be released wide on May 19 featuring previous Universal Vault Series title The Perfect Furlough (1958) and new to DVD* The Private War of Major Benson (1955). Titles also include Buck Privates (1941), Caught in the Draft (1941), Here Come the Waves (1944), Hail the Conquering Hero (1944), In the Navy (1941) and Francis Joins the WACS (1954).

*new to DVD in region 1

Perkins Cobb

#29 Post by Perkins Cobb » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:55 pm

How many discs are in these sets?

AfterTheRain

#30 Post by AfterTheRain » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:17 am

The western collection is a 2-disc set; I suspect the same is true for the wartime comedies collection.

Perkins Cobb

#31 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:21 am

Well, so much for that. They've got to be more compressed than the MODs.

rockysds

#32 Post by rockysds » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:21 am

Universal is releasing Mae West: The Essential Collection March 8th. The 5 films from the Glamour collection plus Belle of the Nineties, She Done Him Wrong, Klondike Annie and Every Day's a Holiday.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#33 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:25 am

Nice, hers is the only Glamour set I never got around to buying

Feego

#34 Post by Feego » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:03 am

Has anyone seen those new to DVD films? I have the Glamour collection and the the individual release of She Done Him Wrong. Are these new films worth the upgrade?

Jonathan S

#35 Post by Jonathan S » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:29 am

Belle of the Nineties and Klondike Annie have been available on UK DVDs for a decade, either in a six-film set, double feature packs or singly. They're okay but being post-Code they are of course heavily sanitised examples of West. The UK releases can usually be found very cheaply for anyone who doesn't want to re-purchase everything in the original R1 set. Belle of the Nineties, for example, is currently as little as £1 coupled with West's Columbia movie The Heat's On (which seems to be Sony MOD on R1). The pre-Code She Done Him Wrong is also available singly or in sets over here.

Feego

#36 Post by Feego » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:54 am

Thanks for that, Jonathan S. Sounds like I'll just stick with what I've got for the pre-code movies.

FrauBlucher

#37 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:10 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#38 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:19 pm

Dietrich set with two new to pressed DVD titles coming in May:
Universal Hollywood Icons Collection: Marlene Dietrich (Blonde Venus / Desire / Angel / Seven Sinners)

knives

#39 Post by knives » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:30 pm

Angel and Desire are quite good, I feel like I don't need to talk von Sternberg, with Borzage staying sober long enough to bring a light and breezy film which isn't just a knock-off of Lubitsch

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#40 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:41 pm

Also a five disc Kirk Douglas set is coming in June, with more new to pressed titles as well:

Renowned for his determination, charisma, commanding voice and magnetic presence, Kirk Douglas had an illustrious film career that continues to entertain audiences of all ages. While his heroic roles in epic films like Spartacus made him a global sensation, Douglas was also equally adept at romancing women or stirring strong emotions as the complicated villain. In honor of his 100th birthday, Universal Pictures is proud to present Kirk Douglas: The Centennial Collection showcasing 8 unforgettable performances from the screen legend including Spartacus, Lonely are the Brave, War Wagon, The Last Sunset, The List of Adrian Messenger, Man Without a Star, For Love or Money and A Lovely Way to Die. Featuring co-stars such as Rock Hudson, John Wayne, Laurence Olivier, Tony Curtis, George C. Scott, Walter Matthau and more, it is a stunning tribute to the legacy of a true silver screen icon.
The last four are new to pressed DVD, though Man Without a Star just came out on Blu-Ray in Germany

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#41 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:10 pm

And one more for good measure: a 4 Western box set with new to pressed DVD title Man in the Shadow with Jeff Chandler and Orson Welles... Alongside some of the worst westerns ever made (Whispering Smith, the Plainsman, and the Far Country [spare me, Mann-iacs]). Well, it's the thought that counts

Ashirg

#42 Post by Ashirg » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:17 pm

Resurrection (1980) is being released on regular pressed DVD on June 14. It has been available on DVD-R since 2010...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#43 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:12 am

Another Universal MOD, Blindfold, has transitioned to pressed in the recent Rock Hudson six film collection. I haven't seen it, but I've seen the other five movies included and four of them are great, so def worth picking up at 19.99 MSRP if you don't already have the other titles even if that sixth one turns out to be a dog

HJackson

#44 Post by HJackson » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:36 am

Which of the other five are you not as keen on? I picked it up because at ten bux, or whatever it ended up being, it's a great value even if I doubled up on the Hawks and the Sirk. I like those two a lot (and the Hudson/Day movies in the same mode), especially the Hawks, and ended up having fun with A Very Special Favor - even if it must be one of the most chauvinist films ever made. Blindfold was a harmless enough jape but not something I'm liable to watch again. It turns out there are actually blus of this out in Australia and the UK (the first of which seems to be region free), so I don't know if this has actually been saved from MOD by this set in particular!

Gary Tooze seemed to like it more than me, and had particular praise for Claudia Cardinale's "photogenic knockers".

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#45 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:18 am

A Very Special Favor is the one I didn't care for. I think Come September and Strange Bedfellows are among the best of the 60s Sex Comedies, and the Sirk and Hawks are good fun as well (though the former is more of a Charles Coburn movie than a Rock Hudson one for me!)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:00 am

In advance of its Blu-ray release from Kino Lorber, I watched and thoroughly enjoyed Blindfold-- Universal really went all the way and straight-up combined a Rock Hudson Sex Comedy with a Hitchcock Rip-Off Thriller, and you really have to love both of those genres to get much out of it, but I thought it had a suitably doofy charm throughout and the vacillation of tone works because both parts are just a little more competent than they need to be for fluff like this. Plus Claudia Cardinale's chorine outfit, good lord