It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:44 pm 

Oh, they're certainly all dreadful, but I think the Oldham cover is the only one quite as awful as the new one, and that's not really an official album in the same way as the others are.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:55 pm 

Listening to "Hungry Eyes" on spotify the other day and I noticed this album cover:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:27 pm 

Not to get away from movie covers by posting that album, here is what I think is a fairly good poster of Paterson and a fairly bad version of attempting it for a blu ray cover (as for the US cover, I like it)

http://www.impawards.com/2016/posters/p ... r2_xlg.jpg

http://www.actualite-dvd.com/images/upl ... 123839.png

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:25 pm 

Not a bad cover per se, just a complete and misleading ripoff from MillCreek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:35 pm 

I love they chose a number that could be mistaken for a two.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:47 am 

That's very similar to what Kino did a few years ago after the release of The Artist:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:13 pm 

[Reveal] Spoiler:
In addition to Sofia Boutella looking very little like she does in the movie, the shot in the corner is the very end of the movie (one of the things I liked about the movie was the design of Cruise as the Mummy in this one sequence, which I thought was clever and intuitive.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:38 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:42 pm 

Hey guys, remember how people ranted because we absolutely misled them about what the movie actually was like ? Let's do it again !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 pm 

A24 seriously needs to change up their home video distribution; the art's always horrid and the transfers never really pop.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:15 pm 

I'm not one to jump to conclusions of racism, but man, it seems like it some concentrated effort to not include even a mention of Carmen Ejogo on that cover.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:15 pm 

Also, great job spoiling the climax but getting around it because
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the positions of the characters are reversed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:28 pm 

The Narrator Returns wrote:
I'm not one to jump to conclusions of racism, but man, it seems like it some concentrated effort to not include even a mention of Carmen Ejogo on that cover.

Nah, I think that cover (in which Joel Edgerton defends his lily-white family from an unseen threat) is definitely casually, idiotically racist. Who was the main character of the film again?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:42 pm 

The Narrator Returns wrote:

Don't forget Kelvin Harrison, Jr., who is arguably the protagonist of the film, as zedz alluded to. There are five actors of consequence in the picture, and the three white ones are credited. Might as well throw the little boy in before the title too, why not

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:25 pm 

This isn't a new thing nor is is US centric. Behold these posters for 12 Years a Slave in Italy.

Blake people and women are usually removed or relegated to a position in the back. But you all knew that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:36 pm 

That was racist how you misspelled the word black.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 pm 

swo17 wrote:
That was racist how you misspelled the word black.

In penance I will self flagellate myself while crawling on my hands and knees to a religious site of the forums choice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:13 pm 

Here's another release with a cover that betrays the tone of the film.

"A Sharply Funny Comedy"??? Did the designers actually watch this movie?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:46 am 

Seems like it’ll get it in the hands of the people who’d benefit from seeing it the most, at least.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:26 am 

I'm guessing wine has something to do with the film? Even the cover for Sideways didn't feature as many glasses of the stuff!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:12 am 

I never thought I'd visit 'Worst DVD Covers... ever!' for movie suggestions, but Beatriz at Dinner looks really interesting. I hadn't even heard of it, but it may not have reached the hinterlands of Canada yet.

But I wonder, do designers typically watch the movies they design covers for? Maybe knowing too much -- or indeed anything -- about a movie just inhibits their artistic process.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:24 am 

The designers of covers and posters like the one in this thread have a lot to answer for, but when it comes to text, they don't write the stuff or choose pull quotes as part of what they're hired to do. They use the text provided to them, and there'd be no real need for them to have seen the film.

The review that "A sharply funny comedy" came from wasn't describing the film as that, really, but rather saying that it starts out as a sharply funny comedy but then transforms into something totally different.

I've sometimes politely pointed it out when I see some kind of pull-quote distortions or elisions about to happen on promotional materials, and the label rep would just shrug it off with something like, "For better or worse, this is a widespread practice in the industry." When it's done in a particularly misleading way, it can invite derision like what's been seen periodically in this thread, but on the whole few seem to notice or care about this, perhaps unless it happens with a major blockbuster (and those I wouldn't think would need any cheating to get decent blurbs).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:49 am 
Dot Com Dom

colinr0380 wrote:
I'm guessing wine has something to do with the film? Even the cover for Sideways didn't feature as many glasses of the stuff!

Yes, Hayek's character starts the film sober and as she drinks more and more glasses of wine, she starts to prod her hosts more with sociopolitical barbs. Supposed to be a pretty good film but it looks like it's only getting a DVD release, so that's lame

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:48 pm 

Off topic, but one of the cheekiest abuses of selective quotation I've seen is the blurb on the back of a recent translation of Madame Bovary:
Quote:
"Davis is the best fiction writer ever to translate the novel... [Her] work shares the Flaubertian virtues of compression, irony and an extreme sense of control."
-- Julian Barnes, London Review of Books
Seemingly high praise coming from a Flaubert scholar -- except the review from which this sentence is taken flatly condemns her translation and recommends the superiority of a couple earlier ones.

On topic, one of the covers for Forsyth's Housekeeping subtitles it 'A Tidy Comedy', and the old cover of Kieslowski's Blue blared in large font "Mysterious... Sexy!".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:12 pm 

Mysterious Sexy was one of the more obscure boy bands of the mid to late 90s. Either that or a too touchy-feely white rapper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next