Best Blu-ray Source for the 1000 Greatest Films

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
vanshady

#1 Post by vanshady » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 pm

Note: This is hoped to be an ambitious crowdsourcing project that aims to keep iterating like the UHD post, and we welcome all kinds of comments both here and in the google sheet.

You can see the sheet here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Example:
| Tokyo Story | Yasujiro Ozu | UHD:FALSE | Best Source:2020 BFI BD | Best Audio:Tartan DVD | Should Watch in Theater: FALSE |

Inspirations
Frustrated by needing to repeatedly search for what are the best sources for many of the classics, and finding the need to have a place to record our previous searches in case I forget, I have started a sheet. Unlike UHD, It's impossible to list best sources for all blurays, and TSPDT seems to be the best place to start as it's one of the most comprehensive lists of "good cinemas" and important films, so I have started this project.

About
TSPDT: They Shoot Pictures, Don’t They
Here, we try to find and organize the best media source of each pictures, considering their video and audio qualities, as well as their extras, subtitles, packagings, and availabilities. The wiki caters to the US market, so we will prefer US releases to other countries, and English releases to other languages if the qualities of A/V are similar.

We use the below websites as our sources: How are best sources determined:
  • If new restorations are coming or rumored, you should probably wait
  • If UHD exists, will refer to UHD Titles Worth/Not Worth Upgrading as how good it is, usually should be worth to grab unless the transfer is too terrible
  • If there is a better streaming option available (4k streaming vs 1080p bluray, or 1080p streaming vs DVD), we will mark this down and you need to decide which option to go for or wait for a potential new release
  • Otherwise, we will try to get the best A/V option (see more in the About section in the sheet)
Should watch in theater:
Either newer restorations not released in home media yet, or no blurays available

Special thanks to AxeYou who started me on this journey, on this forum, as well as adding a lot of entries to the sheet.

TechnicolorAcid

Re: Best Bluray Source for the 1000 Greatest Films

#2 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:37 pm

Oh my god I’ve working on a bigger list very similar to this for over a month though more so on the actual general quality of releases rather than the sources of them so I understand how taxing this must have been for you, especially trying to find the best of specific categories but this is a very wonderful and helpful resource and I applaud you for your excellent work.

vanshady

Re: Best Bluray Source for the 1000 Greatest Films

#3 Post by vanshady » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:43 pm

Hahah thanks, I'm just trying to have a easy reference so that when the next sale comes around I can grab discs without regretting lol

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Best Blu-ray Source for the 1000 Greatest Films

#4 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:16 pm

How about a project where you guys post your thoughts about these films in the appropriate threads and leave the calipers behind for once

vanshady

#5 Post by vanshady » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:19 pm

It's a pain to go through 10 pages of posts, dvdbeaver, caps just for one film every time, same philosophy like the UHD thread.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:21 pm

I meant, post your thoughts about the movies. Not their transfers.

vanshady

#7 Post by vanshady » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 pm

I'd say it's FOMO taking over, I'm not going to buy multiple copies, and then regret buying an inferior transfer, but the most painful for me is missing a classic without bluray or even rumors, and got a restoration showing in a nearby cinema. That's why I have a column just for that.

AxeYou

#8 Post by AxeYou » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:15 am

I helped with a few of the entries here, mostly what I've researched for the UHD thread and also my own research into various audio mixes/masters.

We hope this is in line with the spirit of the UHD thread. Extending to HD is useful when many of these titles may never see enough sales to justify UHD releases.

domino: I wholeheartedly agree with your point of watching these films instead of the transfers (I hope I'm interpreting your take correctly). At the same time, if there's a clearly superior yet lesser known release, I believe some of us (who are perhaps a bit sensitive to PQ) would find this list helpful. Being in a separate thread, this discussion also won't dilute any discussion on the films themselves.

denti alligator

#9 Post by denti alligator » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:33 am

I do find this useful, though I find the 1000 films list to be a bit limiting/arbitrary. Anyway, the Kino BD of Les Vampires is awful. The version in the French Feuillade box is superior in every way.

vanshady

#10 Post by vanshady » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:21 am

Thank you for the dp, I updated the sheet. The list is TSPDT which is a list of a lists. I hoped to use it as a good starting point because it’s just not impossible to track all movies ever otherwise

M-A

#11 Post by M-A » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:54 am

I had a look through and compiled some (actually, quite a lot of) changes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

vanshady

#12 Post by vanshady » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:57 am

Thank you M-A! I will update the sheet today!

vanshady

#13 Post by vanshady » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:40 pm

M-A it's easier to directly comment on the sheet to track it, next time of course.

hearthesilence

#14 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:21 pm

Thanks for this, this is both very sensible and extremely helpful, far more than digging through threads that may or may not have the answers a consumer might be looking for. (If anything, it could help other threads focus more on film discussion since this undermines the possibility of endless questions on whether disc A is better than disc B or disc C, etc.) Right off the bat, I see several upgrades over the Criterion edition I hadn't been aware of.

vanshady

#15 Post by vanshady » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:33 pm

M-A, I sent you a PM to add you as an editor of the sheet

nicolas

#16 Post by nicolas » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:49 pm

Incredible idea and wonderfully structured from what I saw! This is guaranteed to be helpful.
On first glance, I'm not really sure what I can contribute right now but if there's anything, please let me know here or via PM.
Feel free to take over my posts from the UHD thread in particular if these are of any help.

denti alligator

#17 Post by denti alligator » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:23 pm

Lost Highway French and German UHDs listed as superior to CC here, but not in our UHD thread. Source for this?

nicolas

#18 Post by nicolas » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:28 pm

denti alligator wrote:Lost Highway French and German UHDs listed as superior to CC here, but not in our UHD thread. Source for this?
The source may have been my review on the other forum: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=28

I can’t vouch for the German SC version though.

denti alligator

#19 Post by denti alligator » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:34 pm

nicolas wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:28 pm
denti alligator wrote:Lost Highway French and German UHDs listed as superior to CC here, but not in our UHD thread. Source for this?
The source may have been my review on the other forum: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php? ... stcount=28

Thanks. Maybe here and in similar cases we can add something like “>CC (but not by much)” …

vanshady

#20 Post by vanshady » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:19 am

Updated, we will try to include nuances and sources from now on

AxeYou

#21 Post by AxeYou » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:59 pm

nicolas wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:28 pm

Yep I filled this row in and your review was my source. I mistakenly thought that both FR and DE UHDs were from SC and thus would likely be the same. Only realized later that Potemkine released it in France.

For the rows I filled in, I'll try to link to sources.

Captain Paranoia

#22 Post by Captain Paranoia » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:05 am

I believe there was a Spain DVD release of Von Stroheim's Greed, however I don't know if its legit or not.

Otherwise, i'm surprised that Warner Bros. never released the film on DVD (not even on something such as their Warner Archive line, meant for films that are rare to find) or even released it on Max or something like that, considering that they usually don't ignore films from the Turner Entertainment library (of which Greed is part of). It was released on VHS in 1999 using the four-hour reconstruction (which I assumed that Warner would have released on DVD but they never did.). With the film's hundredth anniversary occurring this year, I'm hoping that the film will see a release in the near future.

nicolas

#23 Post by nicolas » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:38 am

Captain Paranoia wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:05 am
I believe there was a Spain DVD release of Von Stroheim's Greed, however I don't know if its legit or not.

Otherwise, i'm surprised that Warner Bros. never released the film on DVD (not even on something such as their Warner Archive line, meant for films that are rare to find) or even released it on Max or something like that, considering that they usually don't ignore films from the Turner Entertainment library (of which Greed is part of). It was released on VHS in 1999 using the four-hour reconstruction (which I assumed that Warner would have released on DVD but they never did.). With the film's hundredth anniversary occurring this year, I'm hoping that the film will see a release in the near future.
This is indeed very strange. I would've said this may have budgetary reasons for Warner until I read a few days ago what huge amount of resources they committed to The Searchers and its new restoration.
Any re-release would likely generate quite a bit of interest and acclaim from avid fans of the film, such as Christopher Nolan. It's still funny to me that he put Greed on his 10th spot when he was asked by Criterion to list his favourite CC editions even though they never released it.

ianthemovie

#24 Post by ianthemovie » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:16 pm

As of a few years ago George Feltenstein of Warner Archive said they were working on restoring Greed for Blu-ray, but that naturally it presented a number of challenges and would take a while. I believe he was referring specifically to the four-hour reconstructed version. Warner Archive is certainly aware that this is a major omission. Presumably we will see a physical release at some point.

beamish14

#25 Post by beamish14 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:15 pm

ianthemovie wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:16 pm
As of a few years ago George Feltenstein of Warner Archive said they were working on restoring Greed for Blu-ray, but that naturally it presented a number of challenges and would take a while. I believe he was referring specifically to the four-hour reconstructed version. Warner Archive is certainly aware that this is a major omission. Presumably we will see a physical release at some point.

I’m sure we’ll be able to have our own AI-enhanced reconstructions before they release it. Hell, I’ll have my OWN versions of The Magnificent Ambersons and The Red Badge of Courage, too