Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
FrauBlucher

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#776 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:41 pm

It seems Warner Archvie are re-releasing all the early WB digibook blurays. Mutiny on the Bounty should be coming at some point to the Archive. What are other old WB digibooks?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#777 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:43 pm

Doctor Zhivago

Gregory

#778 Post by Gregory » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:03 pm

There's a list of them in the first post of the Warner Digibook thread on that other board. That's updated as far as 2010, so those are the old ones, but there were more released after that—All the President's Men for example. And a lot of those listed are already released in standard cases, of course.

The only ones I ever got around to buying were Meet Me in St. Louis and a couple of others. I was able to get about $30/35 selling the digibook of the Minnelli film on Amazon and then picked up the WAC version for $11, so that worked out well.

Since Fox is apparently doing the same thing with the All About Eve digibook and perhaps others, I wonder if this means it's no longer feasible to print new runs of this format, forcing the change in packaging to keep these titles in print.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#779 Post by domino harvey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:08 pm

This used to come up a lot at the height of the CD era, it's a plant issue-- Digipak packaging is unduly expensive for represses, as you have to repay set-up costs you don't normally have to deal with for repressing releases in standard cases

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#780 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:40 pm

Hawks' the Thing From Another World is coming November 20th

Also a complete Bogart and Becall Blu-ray repackaging 4-disc set and Dark of the Sun

EDIT: And Tarzan's Great Adventure and the Lucille Ball Mame... classic WB Archives move

FrauBlucher

#781 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:56 am

Wow. I’m really curious about how The Thing (Original) will look. The elements are suppose to be god awful.

FrauBlucher

#782 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:30 am

This is from the HTF. If you want the link...Here
The newly restored cut footage from the original release release of THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD came from my 35MM print. which I loaned to Warners almost a decade ago. It was the full frame version, not the 1954 re-release. The original negative and fine grain was lost in a vault fire and the only remaining 35MM elements were from the 1954 re-release. which was shortened for a double bill with STATIONS WEST.

It was common practice for companies like RKO and Paramount to sell their used 35MM prints after the initial release, overseas to independent distributors or their exchanges. This is where all the original 1951 usable prints were sent
My print came from Australia from a collector that had owned it from 1953.It is full frame and totally complete and extremely rare since none of the 1951 prints were used in the 1954 and 1957 re-releases. In 1951 a 16MM negative was made from the full length fine grain for Canadian theatrical distribution and later for TV. A few of these were floating around decades ago. The aspect ratio for the 1954 release was cropped on the top and bottom for Wide-Screen ratio that changed in many films in1953 when Cinemascope started. Another reason the full frame 1951 prints were never used and re-cut for the 1954 re-release.
I did not see the film until 1954, the shortened version and loved it. After looking at the longer version I felt the cuts were expertly made and the film moved at a better pace although character development in the long version changed the complexion of the film somewhat. I preferred the shorter version but wanted to see what was cut.

There was no scene ever shot with the men hanging upside down in the greenhouse according to Robert Cornwaith who played the scientist Dr. Carrington who was a guest in 2001 at the 50th anniversary of the film at the Englewood Theatre
in Independence, Mo in which this print was exhibited.

Prints in 35MM of the 1954 version are rare because of the VS syndrome that started when the prints were rejuvinated by RKO and used for the 1957 re-release. This scratch removal process usually starts the VS which shrinks the base and eventually renders prints junk.
Warners made a new dupe negative from the 1951 print so the restored footage should match the rest of the print. I have not looked at the new restored DVD yet.

Wade Williams

This has my hopes that this could actually look pretty damn good. WAC if one of the best with PQ on there releases. This may be there biggest challenge.

FrauBlucher

#783 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Apparently, no real extras on The Thing from Another World. A few trailers. That's it. What a shame. This really deserves more. I'll still pick it up but disappointing.

Monterey Jack

#784 Post by Monterey Jack » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:58 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:58 pm
Apparently, no real extras on The Thing from Another World. A few trailers. That's it. What a shame. This really deserves more. I'll still pick it up but disappointing.
Warner Archive almost never produces new extras for their Blu releases. Michael Collins had a new commentary by Neil Jordan, but that's the only one I can think of.

I'm just thrilled to finally have this classic in HD.

Big Ben

#785 Post by Big Ben » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:04 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
The film has been eclipsed by Carpenter's version in popular culture I think. Carpenter's version is better known and is even closer to the source novella than the original film. It's a shame it's been forgotten to some degree because I very much enjoyed watching it repeatedly as a child with my dad.

Monterey Jack

#786 Post by Monterey Jack » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:31 am

Big Ben wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:04 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
The film has been eclipsed by Carpenter's version in popular culture I think.

You wouldn't believe how many people bagged on the (underrated) 2011 Thing prequel for daring to follow-up Carpenter's "original". :roll: That's like people angry about the in-the-works Scarface remake, when De Palma's film was a remake itself (and one that's even dedicated to the director and screenwriter of the original!).

It really is scary how little grasp of cinema made before 1990 most younger people have. I remember coming out of the Evil Dead remake to hear a handful of theater employees clustered around the exit talking about how they heard it was "based on some old movie".

MongooseCmr

#787 Post by MongooseCmr » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:30 am

I think the difference is that the 1982 film is a very new take take on the source material while 2011 was a more literal remake.

FrauBlucher

#788 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:55 am

Big Ben wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:04 pm
FrauBlucher wrote:
The film has been eclipsed by Carpenter's version in popular culture I think. Carpenter's version is better known and is even closer to the source novella than the original film. It's a shame it's been forgotten to some degree because I very much enjoyed watching it repeatedly as a child with my dad.
Really who cares what popular culture dictates as what's good or what's better. The 30 year difference makes these films apples and oranges. Hawks dialogue makes the original an original and is a better film for me and that along with the 50's paranoia makes this unique to it's time.

jazzo

#789 Post by jazzo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:14 pm

It was my impression that most of the disappointment surrounding the 2011 film is that it was billed as a being prequel, but was essentially a beat-by-beat remake of Carpenter's '82 picture. I found it a generally lifeless affair, but maybe it's worth a revisit.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#790 Post by Drucker » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Monterey Jack

#791 Post by Monterey Jack » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:37 pm

jazzo wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:14 pm
It was my impression that most of the disappointment surrounding the 2011 film is that it was billed as a being prequel, but was essentially a beat-by-beat remake of Carpenter's '82 picture. I found it a generally lifeless affair, but maybe it's worth a revisit.
I mean, how different could it be to the Carpenter film? Same isolated, arctic setting, same tech available to the main characters...I don't know how a prequel showing what went down in the Swedish camp (Norwegian, Mac) could have differed all that much.

I'm probably biased, because the prequel starred Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who I'm madly in love with. :D I still find it underappreciated, though, with too many people getting caught up on the "crap CGI!" and not giving it credit for evoking the look, tone and style of the Carpenter film so effectively. Plus, compared to all of the other attempts at remaking prime-period Carpenter films, it was a rousing success. What, you'd rather sit through the remakes of The Fog, Halloween or Assault On Precinct 13? [-(

jazzo

#792 Post by jazzo » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:56 pm

Monterey Jack wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:37 pm
jazzo wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:14 pm
I mean, how different could it be to the Carpenter film? Same isolated, arctic setting, same tech available to the main characters...I don't know how a prequel showing what went down in the Swedish camp (Norwegian, Mac) could have differed all that much.

I'm probably biased, because the prequel starred Mary Elizabeth Winstead, who I'm madly in love with. :D I still find it underappreciated, though, with too many people getting caught up on the "crap CGI!" and not giving it credit for evoking the look, tone and style of the Carpenter film so effectively. Plus, compared to all of the other attempts at remaking prime-period Carpenter films, it was a rousing success. What, you'd rather sit through the remakes of The Fog, Halloween or Assault On Precinct 13? [-(
Absolutely - how different could it have been? But like I said, that was just my impression on the general consensus of the film. My own disappointment came from the picture's listless nature seeping though every frame, and honestly, my own idiocy for giving it a chance in the first place.

But maybe it is worth revisiting. I'm a different person now, and perhaps I'll like it. Or perhaps I will be twice fooled. Only time (and energy levels after the kids go to bed) will tell.

Now back to our regular scheduled Warner Archives programming...

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#793 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:34 pm

WA will be releasing the Blue Knight, a 3+ hour miniseries from 1973 with William Holden and Lee Remick. This may be the most WTF random WA release to end all WTF random WA releases

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#794 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:45 am

It's based on a Joseph Wambaugh novel, so it has a built in audience for that. I've actually have been looking for a copy of this for a couple years as I have a real soft spot for LAPD films, especially because of the cruelty and corruption of the LAPD. It's also directed by Robert Butler who also did the underseen and excellent Night of the Juggler.

Big Ben

#795 Post by Big Ben » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:58 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:34 pm
WA will be releasing the Blue Knight, a 3+ hour miniseries from 1973 with William Holden and Lee Remick. This may be the most WTF random WA release to end all WTF random WA releases
You saying things like this makes me want to see it though. How bad could it be?

Noiradelic

#796 Post by Noiradelic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:07 am

It's Wambaugh's second book, the first being The New Centurions and the third being The Onion Field -- both adapted into theatrical films with decent reps. I remember the TV movie being broadcast in the 80s, must've been re-run several times. Didn't remember it was +3 hours, though.

isakorg2

#797 Post by isakorg2 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:21 am

We are now eight days away from the Nov 20 release date for the WAC blu-ray of the Hawks' version of The Thing, but the Amazon posting remains release dateless and I can't find any mention of the film on the WAC website. For people of a certain age (or Hawks devotees, pace Christian Nyby), this release, if release it be, is the conclusion of a long wait. Is there some word from an authoritative source as to the status of this film?

Gregory

#798 Post by Gregory » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:36 pm

WAC has confirmed that it is being released, but it seems like the release date is uncertain.

And speaking of missing information, the helpful list of WAC releases has been removed from the Wikipedia article for the series by some zealous Wikipedian who decided that there was "nothing encyclopedic about" listing a a label's releases with basic details about each title. By this reasoning, I guess the similar Wikipedia list of Criterion releases should be deleted next?

EDIT: I've just noticed that the Wiki "talk" I quoted/linked to about deleting this list is dated 2013, so I guess this has happened before and happened again recently? Anyway, the listing had been there for quite a long time until just recently.

PfR73

#799 Post by PfR73 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:43 pm

There was a similar Wikipedia page listing Twilight Time releases, that I found helpful, that was deleted a couple months ago.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#800 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:45 pm

The page listing all the Fox Studio Classics DVDs was helpful too, especially since unlike some of the boutique labels, there was no other centralized internet location to find that info