Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#426 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:35 pm

You mean the '58 version, not the (shot on videotape) '84 one

John Doe

#427 Post by John Doe » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:46 pm

domino harvey wrote:You mean the '58 version, not the (shot on videotape) '84 one
I don't know what ashrig was smoking but yes, they're releasing the '58 version.

Ashirg

#428 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:14 pm

That's what I meant.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#429 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:04 pm

Man, I just remembered: what the heck ever happened to Warner's restoration and Blu-Ray plans for Raintree County?

Feego

#430 Post by Feego » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:14 am

FYI, the other film being released is Man in the Wilderness. (Don't mind me, I'm just pedantic.)

beamish13

#431 Post by beamish13 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:Man, I just remembered: what the heck ever happened to Warner's restoration and Blu-Ray plans for Raintree County?
They say it needs an expensive restoration and implied that they won't pay for it. Typical.

FrauBlucher

Warner Brothers Archive Collection Blu-rays

#432 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:23 pm

To Have and Have Not As much as I've beaten Warner up for their snail pace of upgrades, as well as their upgrade choices, they do deserve major props for their restorations and film preservation. This looks phenomenal. They are clearly one of the top resto houses, if not the top, especially amongst the major studios.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#433 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Silk Stockings looks okay (frankly the bonus Poet and Peasant Overture short looks better), very "thick" but that's mostly due to the original filmstock. Still, it's amazing we got this out on Blu and it looks better than the old snapper DVD for sure

noirbuff

#434 Post by noirbuff » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:59 am

FrauBlucher wrote:To Have and Have Not As much as I've beaten Warner up for their snail pace of upgrades, as well as their upgrade choices, they do deserve major props for their restorations and film preservation. This looks phenomenal. They are clearly one of the top resto houses, if not the top, especially amongst the major studios.
From reviews at bluray.com:
To Have and Have Not: The film's negative has been lost, and the best surviving element is a nitrate fine-grain master positive archived at New York's Museum of Modern Art. Due to a variety of factors, including age-related deterioration, this fine-grain element required special handling in generating a new master for the Warner Archive Collection's 1080p, AVC-encoded Blu-ray. Concerns regarding the viability of the fine-grain were sufficiently grave that the Blu-ray's preparation was accompanied by a project to generate new preservation elements, ensuring that TH&HN will remain available for future generations. A dupe safety negative was used to supply a few shots where the fine-grain had deteriorated past the point where it could yield a satisfactory image.

Out of the Past: The source material for Out of the Past is either in pristine shape or has been restored to perfection. It looks as good as if the movie had just been shot.

Perhaps the reason for absence of classics on bd by Warner (Mildred Pierce, Asphalt Jungle, The Bad and the Beautiful to name a few) is due to restoration challenges like the ones with To Have and Have Not.

Noiradelic

#435 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:32 pm

noirbuff wrote:Perhaps the reason for absence of classics on bd by Warner (Mildred Pierce, Asphalt Jungle, The Bad and the Beautiful to name a few) is due to restoration challenges like the ones with To Have and Have Not.
The primary reason is that Warner hardly releases any B&W titles through the main line anymore and Warner Archive has a slower release schedule. After all, the other Bogie-Bacall films were also only recently released. Fox presumably faced the same general challenges yet they went deeper into their (smaller) B&W catalog, until 2015. The Bad and the Beautiful isn't as well-known as as the other films you mentioned, so I wouldn't hold your breath for that one, unless Criterion licenses it. Hell, Top Hat still hasn't gotten a Blu.

movielocke

#436 Post by movielocke » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:08 pm

An astaire Rogers set, as well as a marx brothers set, both seem likely to be in the works at criterion, since they released at least one of both on LD and are rapidly spitting out LD titles now.

Noiradelic

#437 Post by Noiradelic » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:07 am

Don't think Warner will part with the Astaire-Rogers films as a group, though I guess in a few years anything's possible. Folks here have speculated about a set of the Universal Marx Bros. films, but Night of the Opera seems like a future Warner Archive title to me. Criterion released Cat People individually, so it might be a little premature to forecast a WB-licensed box set.

Ribs

Re: Warner Catalog Titles on Blu

#438 Post by Ribs » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:28 am

Love Me or Leave Me coming later in the Summer

Ashirg

Re: Warner Catalog Titles on Blu

#439 Post by Ashirg » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:58 pm

Ribs wrote:Love Me or Leave Me coming later in the Summer
That's from Warner Archive and I think in September.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#440 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:17 pm

The first season of the TV show Lucifer is coming. Never even heard of it

cdnchris
Site Admin

#441 Post by cdnchris » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:12 pm

My wife likes it, though I think it's simply because of the charms of the lead. It's basically a procedural with Lucifer as a police detective. Yes, it's pretty lame. (And if you're wondering what happened to Tom Sizemore he shows up in one episode.)

Adam X

#442 Post by Adam X » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:35 am

I'm glad to hear they stuck to the character & plot of the wonderful comic it's (apparently) based on so closely... :roll:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#443 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:28 am

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is coming next month

captveg

#444 Post by captveg » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:20 pm

I'm still waiting for White Hunter, Black Heart myself. Maybe one of these times Clint releases a film WB will get to it on Blu.

rockysds

#445 Post by rockysds » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:05 pm

Body Snatchers soon.

captveg

#446 Post by captveg » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:27 pm

Also announced:

On Dangerous Ground (1951)

DeprongMori

#447 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:55 pm

With Criterion's forthcoming release of The Asphalt Jungle, Warners' release of Murder, My Sweet, Out of the Past, and On Dangerous Ground, I can only hope they'll soon upgrade some of their other classic films noir, particularly Gun Crazy and The Set-Up.

isakorg2

#448 Post by isakorg2 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:05 pm

Where have you seen an announcement for a blu-ray On Dangerous Ground? I went looking and couldn't find it. If it is coming, that's great news.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#449 Post by Drucker » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:11 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#450 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:01 pm

Doc Savage coming to Blu... oh-kayy