Kickstarter, Indiegogo, and Crowd-Funding

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Luke M

Re: Kickstarter, Indiegogo and crowd-funding

#151 Post by Luke M » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:51 pm

I would've bit on the Blu-ray if they shipped to U.S.

Oedipax

#152 Post by Oedipax » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:24 pm

I went ahead and pledged since I do have a friend in Paris that can receive the delivery for me. Still kind of a nail-biter with over $800 left to go and less than 24 hours.

You can also pick up your copy in person at Dissidenz' offices in the 11th arrondissement if you plan on visiting Paris in the near future.

repeat

#153 Post by repeat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:54 am

Luke M wrote:I would've bit on the Blu-ray if they shipped to U.S.
For what it's worth, in their reply to my mail they said that if the funding succeeds, they "might" make it available on Amazon, and that it will in any case be available internationally "sooner or later" (presumably directly from them at least)... so if there's anyone outside the EU who really wants to see this happen, now might be a good time to throw in the $6.50 minimum pledge (the project is a few hundred Euros short and closes in 8 hours). If the thing then pops up on Amazon you'll probably end up saving a couple of dozen bucks in postage (and if it doesn't, that pledge sum probably won't be an insufferable addition to the overseas postage)

rockysds

#154 Post by rockysds » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:52 pm

New Kickstarter by Edward Lorusso: April Folly (1920).

kuzine

#155 Post by kuzine » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:46 pm

repeat wrote:Just in case someone hasn't noticed it, the above-discussed Lav Diaz crowdfunder has three days left and is still several thousand Euros short, so now would be a good time to chip in and/or share it to any interested parties...
goal reached \:D/

Oedipax

#156 Post by Oedipax » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:36 pm

kuzine wrote:
repeat wrote:Just in case someone hasn't noticed it, the above-discussed Lav Diaz crowdfunder has three days left and is still several thousand Euros short, so now would be a good time to chip in and/or share it to any interested parties...
goal reached \:D/
I think technically we still have (as of this post) 83 minutes in which people could pull their pledges and send this back below the threshold, but hopefully that won't be the case!

Luke M

#157 Post by Luke M » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:28 pm

repeat wrote:
Luke M wrote:I would've bit on the Blu-ray if they shipped to U.S.
For what it's worth, in their reply to my mail they said that if the funding succeeds, they "might" make it available on Amazon, and that it will in any case be available internationally "sooner or later" (presumably directly from them at least)... so if there's anyone outside the EU who really wants to see this happen, now might be a good time to throw in the $6.50 minimum pledge (the project is a few hundred Euros short and closes in 8 hours). If the thing then pops up on Amazon you'll probably end up saving a couple of dozen bucks in postage (and if it doesn't, that pledge sum probably won't be an insufferable addition to the overseas postage)
Good to know. Hope that ends up being the case.

Adam X

#158 Post by Adam X » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:42 am

Kier-La Janisse's small press Spectacular Optical have an upcoming Indiegogo campaign for their third book, Lost Girls: the Cinema of Jean Rollin, edited by Samm Deighan.
Spectacular Optical wrote:Curated and edited by Samm Deighan (DIABOLIQUE), contributors to LOST GIRLS include some of the most important critical voices to emerge over the last decade of genre journalism: Alexandra Heller-Nicholas (SENSES OF CINEMA), Kat Ellinger (DIABOLIQUE), Virginie Selavy (ELECTRIC SHEEP), Alison Nastasi (SATANIC PANIC: POP-CULTURAL PARANOIA IN THE 1980s), Marcelline Block (ART DECADES), Rebecca Booth (DIABOLIQUE), Michelle Alexander (CINEMADROME), Lisa Cunningham (THE LAUGHING DEAD: THE HORROR-COMEDY FILM FROM BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN TO ZOMBIELAND), Heather Drain (DANGEROUS MINDS), Erin Miskell (THAT’S NOT CURRENT), Gianna D’Emilio (DIABOLIQUE)—and more to be confirmed.

More details, including cover art, full table of contents, and information about the book’s forthcoming crowdfunding campaign will be announced in April 2017.

Cash Flagg

#159 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:12 pm

TURA! The Tura Satana Documentary
“TURA!” is the true life story of cult movie icon & burlesque dancer TURA SATANA, chopped straight from the pages of her handwritten memoir. Best known as the star of Russ Meyer’s classic film Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, Tura stunned 1960’s movie audiences as the sexy, dominant, fast-driving, karate-wielding lesbian gang leader Varla. Her groundbreaking look, attitude, and performance were all years ahead of their time and continue to influence everyone from Quentin Tarantino and Rob Zombie to John Waters and Dita Von Teese.

Still, Tura's screen life was nothing compared to her real life. As a child, Tura was imprisoned at Japanese American WWII internment camp Manzanar. As a pre-teen, she was the victim of a brutal, racially-motivated gang rape. But instead of letting those early tragedies destroy her, Tura flipped it around, reinventing herself into a world famous burlesque dancer, Asian American cinema hero, and most importantly, the living definition of female self-empowerment.

Featuring incredible new interviews with John Waters, Dita Von Teese & more, and narrated by Margaret Cho, TURA! will be a fascinating, thrilling white-knuckle ride through the life and career of one of the most infamous “bad girls” in cinema history. TURA! also serves to finally place Tura Satana alongside Bruce Lee in the pantheon of the most influential Asian American performers the world has ever known.

The production of this film was Tura Satana’s deathbed wish. Help her, and us, make it a reality. TURA! -- Just do it!

(This film is the AUTHORIZED DOCUMENTARY Tura Satana personally initiated prior to her death, being produced by her estate and closest friends).

Ashirg

#160 Post by Ashirg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:11 pm

Cult Epics Hardcover Book (including a few signed releases and exclusive Death Laid an Egg blu-ray)...

Adam X

#161 Post by Adam X » Wed May 24, 2017 10:09 pm

As mentioned in the Fulci thread, FAB Press have gone live with their Indiegogo campaign for their deluxe reissue of Stephen Thrower's Beyond Terror: The Films of Lucio Fulci.

It's not cheap but definitely appears to be worth every penny, and there's not even any risk involved given it's already raised 499% of its goal in 24hrs.

colinr0380

#162 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:27 pm

I'm glad that it has made its goal! I'm not sure I can justify backing the project myself as I already have the original hardcover edition of the book (and I don't know if in this internet era that the book could recapture the thrill of reading about films that seem unlikely to ever be available, and never unedited, as it was reading about them back in 1999!) but if you don't and have any interest in Fulci's films at all, this seems a great update and the book is well worth buying for the in depth synopses and analysis of each film.

While the horror films obviously get the major focus, the book also goes 'Beyond' the terror films and has chapters on things like his early sex comedies, the White Fang films with Franco Nero, the fantasy film Conquest and the thriller Contraband, with the amusing sense that Fulci is often just as callously brutal in ostensibly non-horrific films as he is in the horror ones!

Adam X

#163 Post by Adam X » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:26 am

Having passed several stretch goals on the Beyond Terror indiegogo all backers now get as a bonus: an illustrated DVD booklet by Stephen Thrower, a set of four quad poster reproduction postcards & a copper finish enamel Eibon badge. Probably out of reach, but most interesting of the lot; if they manage to make it to £80,000, Stephen Thrower'll record an audio commentary for the DVD. Only 9 days to go.

colinr0380

#164 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:12 am

I can definitely confirm now that the Kickstarter for When Knighthood Was In Flower has been completed, as I've just received my copy of the dual format DVD/Blu-ray through the post.

colinr0380

#167 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:50 pm

colinr0380 in January wrote:
kidc85 wrote:88 Films (UK) have a project aiming to raise £10k to restore D'Amato's ABSURD. You need to pledge £45 to get a blu-ray of it, but their gimmick is for every additional £10k they raise they will restore another film: MASSACRE IN DINOSAUR VALLEY, AENIGMA and BEYOND THE DARKNESS, and you will receive those blu-rays as well.

It's a pretty ingenious campaign: they've already passed the £10k funding goal for ABSURD, so if they do manage to raise the full £40k then bully for them, and if they don't they've just charged a bunch of people £45 for a blu-ray. Win-win.
Just a quick heads up that I received a parcel today of all four of the 'Indiego-go'ed' discs (Absurd, Aenigma, Beyond The Darkness and Massacre In Dinosaur Valley), plus the T-shirt I had pledged for as well as a double-sided poster for Absurd/Rosso Sangue that I didn't remember being in the pledge, but which is much appreciated! So these discs are definitely on their way out to the backers now.

(I'd also pledged for the first fifteen titles of the Italian Collection series, which arrived a number of months ago, and the first four titles in the 88 Asia line, which came a couple of months before Christmas. So I think all that is left outstanding from this project would be the new version of Anthropophagous that was mentioned after the funds got past a certain point)
Out of nowhere (apologies in advance domino), and after saying that it likely would not happen, apparently 88 Films have remastered Anthropophagous, and are sending copies out to backers!

rockysds

#168 Post by rockysds » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:18 pm

Factory 25 is kickstarting a restoration and release of Alex Rockwell's In the Soup.

perkizitore

#169 Post by perkizitore » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:04 am

Adrian Martin has launched his website and an associated Patreon campaign, please support him if you can!

colinr0380

#170 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:49 pm

The latest Kickstarter project by Edward Lorusso (which has already reached its goal as of this point) is to provide a DVD-R for Buried Treasure from 1921, another Marion Davies starring film, though this one is incomplete and missing its last reel which is going to be synopsised.

EDIT: And there has been a stretch goal, that has already been met, to add the fragments of surviving footage from the middle of 1919 film The Belle of New York to the disc:
Edward Lorusso wrote:Marion Davies 1919 film The Belle of New York exists in fragmentary form: only reels 3 and 4 out of the original 5 reels exist. I'm not even sure these reels are complete, but they offer several very nice sequences of Davies as a Salvation Army girl as well as two brief nightclub scenes that are rumored to have been directed by Flo Ziegfeld.

The rumor makes sense because the scenes were filmed atop his famous Amsterdam Theater where he staged his "Midnight Frolic" shows. Davies had appeared in Ziegfeld's 1916 edition of his "Follies" which also boasted W.C. Fields and Fanny Brice.

Although the nightclub sequences do not include Davies, they are a gloriously giddy glimpse into the past. The surviving footage also features forgotten leading man, Raymond Bloomer, as Davies' drunken love interest.

Anyway, I've re-created all the credits and intertitles and have composed a simple music track for this shred of film history, which runs about 20 minutes.

neilist

#171 Post by neilist » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:18 am

Dario Argento's 'Suspiria' on 4K UHD & Blu-Ray in Steelbook packaging (950 copies only). It's only been live a couple of hours and they're already 34% funded.

No region clarification as far as I can see, but CultFilms is UK based.

Ribs

#172 Post by Ribs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:26 am

UHD does not have region coding.

dda1996a

#173 Post by dda1996a » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:33 am

How good are Cult Films' Italian Blu rays that are being offered?

zedz

#175 Post by zedz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Songwriter Kishi Bashi is making a film (and composing songs) about the incarceration of Japanese Americans during WWII. No idea how this will turn out, but it sounds like an interesting project, and Ishibashi is a great songwriter / musician.

More info here.