The "Definitive Version" List

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
swo17

Re: The "Definitive Version" list

#26 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:04 pm

matrixschmatrix wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Fast Company - Blue Underground (ditto)
Doesn't this disc also have Crimes of the Future and another early Cronenberg on it? I'm assuming the forthcoming Arrow will better it on those, at least.
It has Crimes of the Future and Stereo in SD, both of which can be found in HD as extras on Criterion and Arrow releases. Also, what's this about Arrow putting out Fast Company?

matrixschmatrix

#27 Post by matrixschmatrix » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:23 pm

I meant this one, which has Crimes and Stereo on it.

swo17

#28 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:26 pm

OK, that's the same disc included in the limited edition of Videodrome, and the Blu-ray has the films in HD so yes, they're an improvement. The only reasons to get the BU BD of Fast Company are the film and the commentary.

Feego

#29 Post by Feego » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:10 pm

swo17 wrote:The only reasons to get the BU BD of Fast Company are the film and the commentary.
Fast Company is an odd duck of a film for Cronenberg, as it's purely an action-sports film (and not a particularly great one at that), so it's one I'd recommend for Cronenberg completists only. There is one part of the commentary that I particularly enjoyed though, where Cronenberg is discussing a (totally gratuitous) topless scene that he filmed but was later cut from the film. Unbeknownst to him, Blue Underground restored it, and his surprise and joy at seeing it is pretty endearing.

DeprongMori

#30 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:45 pm

eXistenZ has a number of competing BluRay editions, but AFAIK none of them contain the Cronenberg commentary that was present on the Canadian DVD from Serendipity.

I'm glad that Arrow is doing a separate release of the "Early Films" (which will result in my having three copies each of Stereo and Crimes of the Future), but they missed the opportunity to be the completists' dream by leaving out the short film "Secret Weapons" which he made for a Canadian anthology series, Program X in 1972.

DeprongMori

#31 Post by DeprongMori » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:57 pm

Criterion's release of Nicolas Roeg's Don't Look Now misses out on being the definitive edition by leaving out the director commentary from the European StudioCanal "Vintage Classics" BluRay.

Speaking of Roeg, perhaps in my lifetime we'll see a definitive edition of Nicolas Roeg and Donald Cammell's Performance. All existing versions have notable discrepancies from the original theatrical release. Donald Cammell's short filmography in general seem to have a checkered history for their releases, especially Wild Side.

MichaelB

Re: The

#32 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:21 am

Feego wrote:There is one part of the commentary that I particularly enjoyed though, where Cronenberg is discussing a (totally gratuitous) topless scene that he filmed but was later cut from the film. Unbeknownst to him, Blue Underground restored it, and his surprise and joy at seeing it is pretty endearing.
Tom Savini has a similar reaction to Deranged on Arrow's commentary - he'd never seen the uncut version before, and of course he played a massive role in the shots that got cut.

oldsheperd

#33 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:01 pm

Is there a definitive blu of The Big Lebowski? They seem to release a new blu every year

vygnyr

Theatrical, Extended, Unrated and Director's Cuts

#34 Post by vygnyr » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:24 pm

A couple of months ago I started a site called This or That Edition that helps its readers to know what edition of a film the director intended his viewers to see. "Do you want to watch the Theatrical or Unrated/Extended/Director's Cut?" is a question I've been asked a numerous times when playing a Blu-ray or a DVD.

I always find it hard to choose because I want to know what edition/cut the director wants me to watch and enjoy. So, simply out of frustration I began to compile information about various editions by listening to commentaries, working through interviews, and by asking the director what's his preferred version. And now I want to share my discoveries with other cinephiles. Directors like Judd Apatow, Paul Feig, Joe Carnahan, James Mangold, Ben Stiller, Greg Mottola, Joe Johnston, Francis Lawrence, Brett Ratner, Josh Boone, Paul Haggis, Nicholas Stroller and Richard Kelly have confirmed with This or That Edition which editions they prefer of their movies. The database currently has 108 registered films and many more to come.

I hope that I'm not in violation of the forum rules by posting this thread here. I'd think most film lovers/enthusiasts could have some use of the site.

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS

#35 Post by ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:47 am

Is the new SC release of RAN the definitive version?

John Shade

#36 Post by John Shade » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:16 pm

As far as Lebowski is concerned, from what I've gathered online, it seems as though there is no consensus on a best version, or even one with a high quality picture scan. The North American blu ray that I have is not really the greatest presentation. I would think with Criterion releasing more Cohen Brothers films that a Lebowski remaster would be a huge success, but I'm just not sure if Universal will allow it.

I have another one to bring up, and I'm considering adding a post to the Woody Allen page, but could anyone let me know if the French blu ray for Scoop plays on a region A player. I've seen some online say that it does, and others say that it doesn't, and I'm still a Region A only man (for now...).

Drucker

#37 Post by Drucker » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:47 am

The Universal BD of Lebowski definitely has more accurate colors (saw a print last year). But DNRed to death.

halmasonberg

#38 Post by halmasonberg » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:24 pm

FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD Warner or StudioCanal?

I've only been able to find one online comparison between these two very different releases (DVDBeaver). While the Warner sports a DD 5.1 mix and the StudioCanal 2.0 mono, the StudioCanal version was restored in 4K off the original camera negative and overseen by DP Nicolas Roeg. I know the StudioCanal version does not contain the 20 second cock fight sequence and the Warners does include it. Not a make-or-break deal for me either way. I'm interested in the absolute best image quality. And the most accurate.

Is there anyone out there who actually knows this film well enough to make an informed comparison? In my research, I have found people praising both releases and also condemning both releases. This is a favorite film, but I'm really not interested in owning 2 different versions. I lean toward the StudioCanal because it's off the original negative, but I do like the idea of a 5.1 mix since it was in 6-track on all 70mm theatrical blowups.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

hearthesilence

#39 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:55 am

ALLCAPSAREBASTARDS wrote:Is the new SC release of RAN the definitive version?
I have this. If you need to purchase this title, I would get this edition, but there's no way I can call it definitive as they messed up the color timing. It looks like it was graded in 2010, not 1985, thanks to the teal-leaning color palette.
Drucker wrote:The Universal BD of Lebowski definitely has more accurate colors (saw a print last year). But DNRed to death.
They need to create a brand new master, every BD release looks like digital wax.