Looney Tunes

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
agnamaracs

Re: Looney Tunes

#126 Post by agnamaracs » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:02 pm

For those too lazy to click, it's Barnyard Bigmouth: Foghorn Leghorn "And Friends" and Feline Fwenzy: Tweety and Sylvester.

Hopefully, WB will have cleaned up its act before a Wile E. Coyote and Road-Runner disc is announced... my favorites, hands down.

MoonlitKnight

#127 Post by MoonlitKnight » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:07 pm

I can't believe they're including some titles on these compilations that were already included on one of the Golden Collection sets. Warners goes back on their word again. [-(

Cinephrenic

#128 Post by Cinephrenic » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:09 pm

I came to the conclusion that they have no fucking clue on what they are doing. They just throwing shorts in various collective forms. There is like hundreds of unreleased shorts.

knives

#129 Post by knives » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:12 pm

They really should take a lesson from Disney on these shorts. As big a pain as it is to get those collections at least they're well organized and well restored. I haven't actually bought any of their sets because of the horrible organizing job.

movielocke

#130 Post by movielocke » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:51 am

all of the slyvester/tweety cartoons were on the golden collection releases, only one of the foghorn cartoons. was. all of the cartoons are post 54, hence will be 'widescreen'

Jeff

#131 Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:30 am

Warner is hopefully about to make up for those crappy character-themed discs from a couple of years ago. Tomorrow, Jerry Beck and George Feltenstein will be announcing Looney Tunes Platinum Collections. There will likely be a lot of toon overlap with the Golden Collections, which I'm sure will irk many. I don't suppose it's really reasonable to ask them not to include any of their 300+ more popular shorts though, since they are what sell and make these releases happen. I'm sure as hell not going to complain about seeing What's Opera Doc et. al. in 1080p anyway! These will be remastered Blu-ray releases. If they get rid of the DVNR and transfer everything at 1.37, I'll be happy. Really hoping they've found a practical way to do chronological sets like the upcoming Tom & Jerry set.

Matt

#132 Post by Matt » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:04 pm

They ought to just bypass BD and set up a site with 1080p streaming versions of everything they have with a good search interface. Even though I have every one of the Golden Collections, whenever I want to see a Looney Tunes cartoon, I just go to YouTube.

David M.

#133 Post by David M. » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Hmm, I'll pass thanks - I'm sure that would work well, for people living in the United States, and for as long as it was profitable to keep the content online for. And if you don't mind seeing film grain crushed into paste by the low video bandwidth.

Yes, it'd be convenient, but this is the chance to get these releases right.

Jeff

#134 Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:25 pm

From Jerry Beck's Cartoon Brew:
The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection contains 50 classic cartoons in high definition. Disc #1 includes Hare Tonic, Baseball Bugs, Buccaneer Bunny, The Old Grey Hare, Rabbit Hood, 8 Ball Bunny, Rabbit of Seville, What’s Opera Doc?, The Great Piggy Bank Robbery,A Pest In The House, The Scarlet Pumpernickle, Duck Amuck, Robin Hood Daffy, Baby Bottleneck, Kitty Kornered, Scardy Cat, Porky Chops, Old Glory, A Tale Of Two Kittie, Tweetie Pie, Fast And Furry-ous, Beep Beep, Lovelorn Leghorn, For Scent-I-Mental Reasons and Speedy Gonzales.

Disc #2 includes One Froggy Evening, The Three Little Bops, I Love To Singa, Katnip Kollege, The Dover Boys, From A To ZZZZ, Chow Hound, Feed The Kitty, Hasty Hare, Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century, Hareway To The Stars, Mad As A Mars Hare, Devil May Hare, Bedevilled Rabbit, Ducking The Devil, Bill Of Hare, Dr. Devil and Mr. Hare, Bewitched Bunny, Broomstick Bunny and several others to be announced.

Bonus material includes several Behind-The-Toons pieces and Chuck Jones documentaries, numerous bonus cartoons including Chuck Jones’ FDR re-election film, Hell Bent For Election (1942), a rare Air Force re-enlistment film, A Hitch In Time (1955), and Ken Mundie’s expressionist anti-war animated short, The Door (1967) – plus two all-new documentaries on Marvin The Martian and The Tasmanian Devil.

Additionally, the collection comes in a sturdy plastic box, which will include a 52 page booklet, a commemorative magnet and mini collectible drinking glass. The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection will go on sale in November.
TV Shows on DVD paints a bit clearer picture, based on the Amazon listings:
What we see is that there will actually be TWO versions of The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volume 1 on Blu-ray Disc, both due on November 15th (may be subject to change). The standard package (pictured just below) costs $59.96 SRP, and consists of a 52-page "digibook" with rare images, along with the discs. There will also be a separate The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volume 1 Limited Edition Blu-ray version for $79.98 SRP, with the same basic package slid into a larger box that also includes a Framed Litho Cel with Certificate of Authenticity, a Souvenier Tin Sign, and a 2.5 oz Character Collectible Glass. Jerry's post at Cartoon Brew also mentions a commemorative magnet, too. The Limited Edition package (shown in a "beauty shot" at the bottom) is numbered, for greater exclusivity and collectibility.
I'm not interested in all the crap that comes with the big set, but it appears that there is a thus-far-unmentioned third disc:

ImageImage

As I suspected, this is kind of a "best of" set featuring the most well-known toons. It also looks like I'll need to hang on to all six Golden Collections. I suspect that this disorganized mix will be a disappointment to most.

I hadn't thought about it before, but I kind of like Matt's idea. I've enjoyed all the supplements, but when I'm just wanting to see a certain seven-minute short, it's a lot more convenient to just pull it up on YouTube. If Warner had a searchable database sorted by year, director, and character, and offered a lot of shorts in 1080p, I'd use it all the time.

Matt

#135 Post by Matt » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:05 pm

Typical Warner Bros. exasperating bullshit.

Foam

#136 Post by Foam » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:10 pm

The idea of The Great Piggy Bank Robbery in HD is enough to make my mouth water. If they get rid of the DVNR this is a day one double dip for me.

knives

#137 Post by knives » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:14 pm

Haven't bought any of the previous collections so assuming there will be a version with just the discs I'll be picking this up eventually.

Max von Mayerling

#138 Post by Max von Mayerling » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Matt wrote:Typical Warner Bros. exasperating bullshit.
Who cares about the cartoons? There's a 2.5 oz collectible glass! And a magnet! I mean, really - how can you pass up a friggin' tin sign?

It's kind of weird that they're calling it a SOUVENIR tin sign. What's it a souvenir of? They day I bought this blu ray?

onedimension

#139 Post by onedimension » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Postulating the eventual release of another few volumes, how does the organization and selection of the Platinum content compare to that of the Golden versions? Are these looking more like Greatest Hits, followed by less essential b-sides, whereas the Goldens saw the shorts more evenly distributed?

Matt

#140 Post by Matt » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:53 pm

Max von Mayerling wrote:It's kind of weird that they're calling it a SOUVENIR tin sign. What's it a souvenir of? They day I bought this blu ray?
Equally as silly as providing a certificate of authenticity for a mass-produced item.

zedz

#141 Post by zedz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:12 am

I for one am outraged that they're not providing a certificate of authenticity for the tin sign or the drinking glass.

Jeff

#142 Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:40 am

I like how they call the glass a "2.5 oz Character Collectible Glass." Jerry Beck calls it a drinking glass. If it's 2.5 ounces, it's a shot glass. That's a Bugs Bunny shot glass.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#143 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:44 am

Also, does each box come with a different character collectible glass? How many are there? And how many sets am I going to have to buy to collect them all? If they're going to sell these like packs of baseball cards, they could at least do us the decency of putting a different random set of cartoons in each set.

manicsounds

#144 Post by manicsounds » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:20 am

Yeah, they are clearly not sure how to organize this set. I'm not a fan of the random shorts stacked and piled in here. They really should have followed the DVD or the LD style, disc (or side) by theme, or the Disney Treasures method.

Matt

#145 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Jeff wrote:I like how they call the glass a "2.5 oz Character Collectible Glass." Jerry Beck calls it a drinking glass. If it's 2.5 ounces, it's a shot glass. That's a Bugs Bunny shot glass.
I wonder how many of us who buy it are going to end up with Character Collectible Shards after UPS delivers the set.

Gregory

#146 Post by Gregory » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:09 pm

It would've been nice to see Warner give this release a really deluxe treatment by including something like a 3XL t-shirt or a velour golf towel emblazoned with those classic images of the Tazmanian Devil and Bugs Bunny in their backward clothing.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#147 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Who the hell is Bugs waving at?

hearthesilence

#148 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:39 pm

Jeff wrote:I like how they call the glass a "2.5 oz Character Collectible Glass." Jerry Beck calls it a drinking glass. If it's 2.5 ounces, it's a shot glass. That's a Bugs Bunny shot glass.
All right, George Jones can finally drink his Jim Beam out of something more appropriate than that Flintstone jelly bean jar.

chrismagr

#149 Post by chrismagr » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:55 pm

So, the hardcover book in the Ultimate Edition is actually the digibook from the standard edition?

JJHLH1

#150 Post by JJHLH1 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:08 pm

I saw the three high definition cartoons on "The Adventures of Robin Hood" blu ray disc: "Katnip Kollege", "Rabbit Hood", and "Robin Hood Daffy". All I can say is they look spectacular!! The colors are vibrant, the detail is amazing, and even the sound is better than I remember on previous versions. If all the upcoming cartoons on blu ray are treated with the same loving care we are in for a real treat!

I have the Golden collection DVDs and they are OK, but the cel dust bothers me. They cleaned that up on the 3 high definition cartoons I've seen.

By the way, in my opinion there is no comparison between watching high definition cartoons on a large 1080p HDTV and on YouTube. The high definition cartoons look so much better. I'm very excited about the upcoming Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry sets.