DVD Library

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
artfilmfan

Re: DVD Library

#451 Post by artfilmfan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:07 pm

swo,

Gotta swallow your pride and take your sister's honest opinion in stride.

FrauBlucher

#452 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:04 pm

swo17 wrote:Overheard my sister describing the films on my Amazon wishlist thusly the other day. I found it especially hurtful considering I actually deleted the list a couple years ago!
It's full of just the worst movies ever. Nothing anyone has ever heard of.
Were you keeping your taste in film a secret from your sister?

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#453 Post by Rayon Vert » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:I do kind of agree that collecting is just hoarding, and I get bored watching most things more than once.
I realize this is an old post, but whenever I feel I need validation for my collecting & viewing habits, I reread this quote (which I think I should frame right on a wall where my DVD room is).

“Many of my films, I feel you’re not going to get them unless you see them twice. And that’s almost an impossible thing to ask. The worst statement to my ears is when somebody asks, ‘Do you want to see this movie?’ And someone else says, ‘Oh, I’ve seen it’. If you’ve seen a film once, and it has any quality whatsoever, you haven’t really seen it. Because the first time you watch a film, no matter how savvy you are to movies and techniques, you’re playing ‘Whodunnit?’ You’re playing a guessing game: ‘Oh, she’s going to leave him. No, she didn’t. Well, she’s probably a lesbian. Oh no she’s not.’ And you’re going through the film and finding out how all these suppositions are wrong. Well, now you know and you go and see it a second time: you’re not faked out by the plot, you’re able to deal with corners of the frame, with the nuances – which is what I feel the film is really about. We don’t have this attitude to music. You don’t remember a piece of music from hearing it once. Every piece you can think of you’ve heard more than once. Paintings you see more than once. It brings something to you, and you bring something to it. It bounces something to you every time you look at it.”
- Robert Altman

zedz

#454 Post by zedz » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:04 pm

Or the Nabokovian version, which pertains to film (or music, or any other species of art that unfolds in time) as much as to literature:

"Curiously enough, one cannot read a book: one can only reread it. A good reader, a major reader, an active and creative reader is a rereader. And I shall tell you why. When we read a book for the first time the very process of laboriously moving our eyes from left to right, line after line, page after page, this complicated physical work upon the book, the very process of learning in terms of space and time what the book is about, this stands between us and artistic appreciation. When we look at a painting we do not have to move our eyes in a special way even if, as in a book, the picture contains elements of depth and development. The element of time does not really enter in a first contact with a painting. In reading a book, we must have time to acquaint ourselves with it. We have no physical organ (as we have the eye in regard to a painting) that takes in the whole picture and then can enjoy its details. But at a second, or third, or fourth reading we do, in a sense, behave towards a book as we do towards a painting."

artfilmfan

#455 Post by artfilmfan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
swo17 wrote:Overheard my sister describing the films on my Amazon wishlist thusly the other day. I found it especially hurtful considering I actually deleted the list a couple years ago!
It's full of just the worst movies ever. Nothing anyone has ever heard of.
Were you keeping your taste in film a secret from your sister?
If I have to guess, I think it was her opinion that was supposed to be secret ... then swo' eavesdropping occurred.

theflirtydozen

#456 Post by theflirtydozen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:19 pm

Any suggestions on moving a pretty sizable collection? I'm moving to the East Coast soon from IL and this'll be my first big move. Specifically looking for recommendations on storage or sorting, since I'll have a moving company doing the shipping, but any advice is welcome.

My previous move was out of my parents' house and to only an hour and a half away, which allowed me to move things in waves, a strategy that would definitely not work this time. I just threw everything in pretty sturdy plastic shipping crates and reorganizing after I unloaded it at my new place. I still have these crates but they probably wouldn't get used for BD's this time around. I'm really unsure if cardboard would be sturdy enough or if there are some (preferably cheap) options for containers that work best for blu-ray size cases. So, if anyone has any experience like this, I'd appreciate any wisdom you could pass on!

knives

#457 Post by knives » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:28 pm

I just put everything in those big yellow containers you can get from Home Depot and softened them with some clothes in the holes.

Big Ben

#458 Post by Big Ben » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:30 pm

knives wrote:I just put everything in those big yellow containers you can get from Home Depot and softened them with some clothes in the holes.
I'll add that you should place them in the delivery vehicle in positions where they won't slide around too much and won't be crushed by something. It goes without saying that stuff moves around in vehicles and that if you're not careful bad things can happen.

knives

#459 Post by knives » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:32 pm

That's one nice thing about those boxes. Basically indestructible and stackable.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Shelf Help

#460 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:34 am

I know this is the wrong thread other than literally but what do people recommend for large (preferably like 6 feet tall) uniform shelves to house a large collection?

zedz

#461 Post by zedz » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:59 am

I use Lundia. Strong, adaptable, and easy to dismantle and reconfigure.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#462 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:04 am

If you are not set on shelves, Rubbermaid Roughneck 50 Quart Storage Containers are a perfect fit for DVDs/Blu-rays— way better than any container allegedly built for media storage, searchable via database/file, better protection, &c. And here, you guys can still play the shelf game:

Lemdog
The Man with no Title

#463 Post by Lemdog » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:53 am

I bought three Atlantic Oskar Adjustable Media Cabinet (PN38435714). I've been happy with them. My only issue is the dvd/bluray does stick out a little from the shelf. I thought it would bother me, but I've found it easier to get the DVD off the shelf. There are smaller sizes if needed.

Image Image

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#464 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:19 pm

These are intriguing suggestions. domino, how many DVD cases does one bin hold? And do you have a link to where some can be purchased? A cursory search suggests they may have been discontinued

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#465 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:40 pm

I used those Atlantic shelves Lemdog mentions for years, but they didn't survive a recent move in good enough shape to reuse, so I actually just met with a woodworking guy today to build three custom 7'x3.5' units which should hold approximately 750 blus apiece. It's going to end up costing me about 75% more than the comparable number of Atlantic units needed for 2000+ blu-rays, but it's worth it to avoid hearing my wife complain about the shelves not matching the paint in my media room well enough.

knives

#466 Post by knives » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:40 pm

Dom, how do you get the bottom films without also getting a hernia?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#467 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:00 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:19 pm
These are intriguing suggestions. domino, how many DVD cases does one bin hold? And do you have a link to where some can be purchased? A cursory search suggests they may have been discontinued
About ~75 Blu-rays depending on the packaging, a bit less for DVDs since they're thicker:

(A little extra space here because one of the season sets is out in my watch stack)

And there's a little space on top for overflow. I bought twice as many as are in use now in anticipation of them ever not being available-- I did a lot of research and these were by a wide margin the best option. Super strong and sturdy (I stack them four high with zero issues of structural integrity-- and knives, I remove them one by one, they're not that heavy individually!), easy to look into for quick picking, not cheap or shoddy looking, and well worth paying twice what I paid at ~$53 for each pack of five. Here's the exact wording for the containers:

Rubbermaid Roughneck Clear Storage Container, 50 Quart, Pack of 5

Looks to be in stock here for... indeed twice what I paid!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#468 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:18 pm

Perfect, thanks! Think I might go with a combination of those and zedz's pricier recommendation for the ones I want to show off more

Reverend Drewcifer

#469 Post by Reverend Drewcifer » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:47 pm

Never got around to watching Go?

hearthesilence

#470 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:02 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:04 am
If you are not set on shelves, Rubbermaid Roughneck 50 Quart Storage Containers are a perfect fit for DVDs/Blu-rays— way better than any container allegedly built for media storage, searchable via database/file, better protection, &c. And here, you guys can still play the shelf game:
Brilliant, especially for the protection for those who need to keep their libraries in, say, the basement level of their residence. (Which reminds me, I should probably prepare for that hurricane coming by...)

DeprongMori

#471 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:04 am
If you are not set on shelves, Rubbermaid Roughneck 50 Quart Storage Containers are a perfect fit for DVDs/Blu-rays— way better than any container allegedly built for media storage, searchable via database/file, better protection, &c.
About how many discs does one hold? I’ve been using cardboard “banker’s boxes”, and while they hold a lot, they are suboptimal in some respects.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#472 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:58 pm

About 75 Blu-rays each, and a bit fewer DVDs since they're thicker

cdnchris
Site Admin

#473 Post by cdnchris » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:45 pm

My father-in-law built my shelves, so i recommend getting a father-in-law if you don't have one yet.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#474 Post by tenia » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:21 am

I used to have shelves modded by my father, but now simply use double-large Billys from IKEA. 4 of them hold my 3000+ BDs, but they are absolutely totally filled.

colinr0380

#475 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:20 am

There go my assumptions that domino has a special Claude Chabrol shrine set up somewhere in his home, though to be fair that Pathfinder DVD boxset is so flimsy it needs all of the protection that it can get!