DVD Library

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
accatone

Re: DVD Library

#476 Post by accatone » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:40 pm

I went the David Hare way (i think) and put all the plastic cases in the cellar (not optimal). Discs are now in 600pcs „sleeve boxes“. I have some of them, hidden someplace in the flat. A „media room“ is no option where i live (in terms of rent, quite expensive). Shelve space in living/dining room is now books only. I feel much cooler now :lol:

senseabove

#477 Post by senseabove » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:25 pm

I'm getting closer and closer to going the sleeve method myself... I finally got around to putting up enough shelving to get stacks off the floor, then promptly overflowed to floorstacks again already.

I couldn't find any sleeves that wouldn't require folding the sleeve art and were cheap enough to be feasible. The only suitable one I found was something like 25 cents a sleeve, which adds up real quick.

TMDaines

Re: Shelf Help

#478 Post by TMDaines » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:47 am

swo17 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:34 am
I know this is the wrong thread other than literally but what do people recommend for large (preferably like 6 feet tall) uniform shelves to house a large collection?
IKEA Billys. I'd have as a many as my wall space allows. Great media shelves.

hearthesilence

#479 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:22 pm

I switched to a rotating tower of shelves earlier this year. My bookcase shelves used to line the walls, which wasn't a lot of space due to various doors and windows. With the addition of another book shelf (which was likely by year's end), it would have caused problems with the arrangement of the room.

Before that happened, a contractor mishap necessitated their replacement, and rather than go back to what I had before, it was suggested that I try a tall rotating tower and place it in a corner that had very little foot traffic. It's worked out really well, and thankfully a library of Blu-Rays is fairly light since they individually take up more space than, say, old CD's and have more space/air in their packaging. Since the cumulative weight is relatively lower, it doesn't impact the performance of the rotating wheel in the tower's base. (FWIW, had that happened, one would need to replace the tower's plastic wheel with a stainless steel lazy Susan.)

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#480 Post by tenia » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:06 am

I don't know how many releases you own, but my 3000+ weight almost a ton. Litterally. I'm curious because your solution seems like one I could use, but I doubt it'd work for such a weight.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#481 Post by swo17 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:26 am

domino harvey wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:00 pm
Rubbermaid Roughneck Clear Storage Container, 50 Quart, Pack of 5

Looks to be in stock here for... indeed twice what I paid!
I assume they're out of stock because the order I placed a month ago was just now canceled. domino, what is your address and when will you be out this weekend?

knives

#482 Post by knives » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:52 am

Does anyone know how big a TV a Hemnes from Ikea can hold? The website doesn't make that clear.

willoneill

#483 Post by willoneill » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:39 am

Hemnes is a whole line of IKEA products, but if you mean the Hemnes TV Bench, I have one in the basement and it is a little less than 2 meters wide (183 cm), and the Canadian website says its weight capacity is 50 kg. I have a 65" TV on it.

knives

#484 Post by knives » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:54 am

I was thinking of the storage combo like linked.

willoneill

#485 Post by willoneill » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:31 am

Ah I see. As far as I can tell, TV bench is the unit that makes up the centre-bottom component of that combo. So 72" wide, and a 110 lb max load, by my conversions. The exact specifications should be on the page for the bench, whereas that page just gives you a combined price for all of the separate elements together.

knives

#486 Post by knives » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:59 am

Thanks. That far exceeds my mere 56'' in this case which is what I was hoping for.

therewillbeblus

#487 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:49 am

For those who have the IKEA billy shelves, roughly how many blus do they hold? I can't find this info online, plus there are obviously many variations of them, so I guess, these? (unless of course, there's a better rec)

criterionsnob

#488 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:31 am

They fit approx 50 Criterion Blu-rays per shelf and you can fit two rows of discs on the same shelf (so 100). You can add an extra extension shelf on top (sold separately). I have 9 shelves per Billy, and so approx 900 blu-rays. It is annoying having two rows on the same shelf, but I had to do it to keep my partner happy since we have limited wall space in our condo.

therewillbeblus

#489 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:37 am

Thanks for the response! Are you talking about the one I linked to in my post above, or a different model? And how many extra shelves did you have to buy to make 9? (or a better question would be, how many does it come with)

criterionsnob

#490 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:59 am

Yes, I have the Billy you linked to, and I ordered two extra shevles (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-extr ... -20265301/). The shelf in the middle of the bookcase can't be moved, but the others can be moved up/down to accommodate the two extra shelves, and make each shelf closer to Blu-ray height. I also added the height extension unit when I started running out of room (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-heig ... -40263853/).

I've had my Billy shelves for about 8 years and they're still great, though they're getting full again.

therewillbeblus

#491 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:57 pm

Awesome that's very helpful, thanks! (My partner is also at her wit's end about this shelf taking up the last remaining wall space, so I gotta make it count..)

criterionsnob

#492 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:49 pm

It was someone in this forum who recommended the Billy shelves 8 years ago, so I'm happy to pass the info back to someone!

I have one Billy for all of my Criterion Blu-rays and DVDs (I own them all). I recently had to shift some of the DVDs to another shelf in my clothes closet to make room for new releases. I have a second Billy with another 9 shelves for everything else (Arrow, MOC, Second Run, other imports, etc).

My partner has a giant comic book collection, so when we buy a 3 bedroom house, we're each getting our own rooms to stash our geeky stuff. My dream is to have custom shelving built for my home video library, which is now quickly approaching 2000 Blu-rays/DVDs. Until then, the Billy shelves have been great.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#493 Post by jindianajonz » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:18 am

criterionsnob wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:49 pm
My partner has a giant comic book collection, so when we buy a 3 bedroom house, we're each getting our own rooms to stash our geeky stuff. My dream is to have custom shelving built for my home video library, which is now quickly approaching 2000 Blu-rays/DVDs. Until then, the Billy shelves have been great.
The Billies are great for comics too. I keep all mine in paper sleeves in 3 ring binders, and they fit perfectly into the slots in the Billies.

Marwood

#494 Post by Marwood » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:55 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:49 am
(unless of course, there's a better rec)
If it’s for blu-rays exclusively I would instead go with the Bestå system. Use the version that is 20 cm deep. Then you don’t loose as much empty space between shelves and they don’t stick as much out in the room.

This is a picture of part of my blu-ray collection. Here I use 6 small Bestå units with two glass shelves in each.

therewillbeblus

#495 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:19 pm

That looks perfect, unfortunately from the little research I've done they appear to be drastically more expensive.. maybe one day once I'm in a permanent residence

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#496 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:58 pm

hearthesilence wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:22 pm
I switched to a rotating tower of shelves earlier this year.
Where did you finds this tower?

hearthesilence

#497 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:18 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:58 pm
hearthesilence wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:22 pm
I switched to a rotating tower of shelves earlier this year.
Where did you finds this tower?
Amazon. Let me try and figure out which one it was - it was purchased for me as part of a settlement, so I don't have the make and model saved as a prior purchase but it was one of their popular choices, maybe even their most popular choice.

One caveat - many users suggested installing a metal lazy susan to replace the plastic ring. As mentioned, I don't think this is necessary if it's mostly Blu-Rays and DVDs because the load is pretty light and unless you're looking to spin the tower like a turntable, completely unnecessary. However, if you're loading it with heavier stuff like books or even CD's, a metal lazy susan may not be a bad idea but I kind of wonder if the steel wheels will eventually wear and grind deeply into the wooden base. (FWIW, the manufacturer chimed in on the Q&A section of Amazon's listing to address this suggestion and repeatedly said it wasn't necessary to install a metal lazy susan.)

Also one more suggestion - ideally, if money wasn't an issue, I'd store my media a cabinet with doors. It really drives up the cost, so for large libraries that need large cabinets or shelving, this is probably a custom design you'd have to buy. I've lived mostly in apartments with sprinkler systems, so it always seemed like a sensible idea. Even beyond sprinkler activations, it seemed like a good way to shield your collection from any oncoming fluid or projectiles that might be scattering everywhere, and unfortunately that construction mishap I mentioned pretty much proved my point. (This was happening next door. Unfortunately the damage wasn't isolated to that area.)

Marwood

#498 Post by Marwood » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:23 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:19 pm
That looks perfect, unfortunately from the little research I've done they appear to be drastically more expensive.. maybe one day once I'm in a permanent residence
I see that the US price for each frame is 35 dollars which isn't horribly expensive I would argue. Also you could buy the units piecemeal and add on as your collection grows. The individual Bestå's are also easier to move than one large billy. How many blu-rays is it that you need space for?

therewillbeblus

#499 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:01 pm

Oh I thought I saw them as $50 each, not including the (inexpensive) shelves, but can you link me to what you have specifically?

The short answer is too many blu-rays. The long answer is- I've covered all of our wall space with shelves, but not exactly ones that have maximized vertical space (three Sauders, which I like a lot, and store a lot for the cheap price, and a few shorter ones that I've accrued from past roommates over the years) and aside from a guitar stand, an exercise bike, a bookshelf and my partner's mantled Pusheen collection that isn't worth a fight over moving, there's enough space left for one more media shelf (we'll fit the second cat's litter box somewhere), so I really need to make it count. I could just replace my Sauders, etc. and fit everything easily with four new taller shelves, but since we aren't planning to live here forever I'm just trying to keep my head above water until I "settle down," which will likely be out of state- hence not wanting anything too pricy to chuck. So yeah, whatever fits the most blu-rays within the smallest amount of space (length wise, don't care about height or width) for a reasonable price is what I'm after.

TMDaines

#500 Post by TMDaines » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:27 pm

I have now taken on a junior assistant to help organise my collection. I’ve already understood the importance of pre-filtering and storing non-keep case editions on higher shelves.

It is kind of nice for someone else to show an interest in Second Run’s and Edition Filmmuseum’s offerings!

Image Image