Universal Horror

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
vanWarmerdam

Re: Universal Horror

#76 Post by vanWarmerdam » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:18 am

I would have expected a Blu-ray release for this, too bad only An American Werewolf in London is released. That's frankly the only good thing with most of these remakes: the originals get released on Blu-ray. But then again, Universal's handling of classic movies in HD isn't that great.

HerrSchreck

#77 Post by HerrSchreck » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Great photo file from the Three Karloff Frankestein Films for Universal. Some you've seen before, some pretty cool.

What's kind of creeping me out is the shots from the '31 original, where the hair is going all the way down the back of his neck virtually to his shoulders. Looks freaky, and I never saw this before. Has anyone here?

zedz

#78 Post by zedz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:12 pm

I've seen a couple of those Frankenmullet shots before (#5, and the cuppa + ciggy one), but it was a long, long time ago, published somewhere but can't recall where.

manicsounds

Re: Universal Catalog Titles on Blu

#79 Post by manicsounds » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:57 pm

Sadly, DVD only...

Minkin

#80 Post by Minkin » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:30 am

Im guessing this is just an idiotic repackaging of those various monsters sets. Great for both people who don't own a single one of those movies already on DVD/Blu. I don't understand Universal's problems. They are sitting on one of the biggest cash piles, and they choose to do nothing with their classic horror titles. The bluray set was amazing, but its been two years. Germany is at least getting some great films - Monolith Monsters, Mole People, etc. Perhaps we'll luck out and either Arrow/Criterion will get some titles that Universal is too fucking lazy to deal with (I've held out hope for quite awhile that someone will do a proper edition of The Raven/The Black Cat).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#81 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:03 am

If this replaces the disasterous double sided discs that were plagued with playback issues in the original monster-grouped releases then there is nothing idiotic about this release

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#82 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:51 am

Universal has put these out on single-sided discs and in normal keepcases-- this is absolutely cause for celebration. Would we love a thirty-film Blu-ray set? Sure! Is that realistic? Probably not!

Movie-Brat

#83 Post by Movie-Brat » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:30 pm

I am drooling right now...

dwk

#84 Post by dwk » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:41 pm

domino harvey wrote:Universal has put these out on single-sided discs and in normal keepcases-- this is absolutely cause for celebration. Would we love a thirty-film Blu-ray set? Sure! Is that realistic? Probably not!
If Criterion can release a Blu-ray box set of 25 Zatoichi films, then Universal should be able to release a 30-film Blu-ray set of their classic monster films. Or, at least, they should have been able to had they not already released the 8-film Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection set.

Tuco

#85 Post by Tuco » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:44 pm

SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, blu, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze. Between Rathbone hamming it up, Lugosi going overboard (even for him), Karloff having lost his voice and Atwill's arm...along with the fact that Rowland V. Lee kinda made it up as they went along...please? Then I can lie to my wife again and tell her this is absolutely the last blu-ray I'll buy...

Bob Furmanek

REVENGE OF THE CREATURE on 3-D Blu-ray!

#86 Post by Bob Furmanek » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:13 pm

REVENGE OF THE CREATURE is newly restored and coming to 3-D Blu-ray on August 28, 2018: 4K scans of the original 35mm negatives by NBCUniversal and stereoscopic alignment by 3-D Film Archive!

For more information on the restoration and rare Creature memorabilia from the Archive, please visit: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/revenge-of-the-creature

The Complete Legacy Collection: https://www.uphe.com/movies/creature-fr ... collection

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#87 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:26 am

The entire 30 film Universal Monsters set is coming out on Blu-ray on August 28th as well
domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:51 am
Would we love a thirty-film Blu-ray set? Sure! Is that realistic? Probably not!
:oops:

FrauBlucher

#88 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:02 am

Anything new added that wasn’t in any of the other collections?