Universal Horror

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
THX1378

Universal Horror

#1 Post by THX1378 » Thu May 05, 2005 8:14 am

Fangoria just posted on their webpage that at last Universal will be putting out on dvd the Lugosi/Karloff classic team up The Black Cat. Seems that Universal will be making it a part of box set. Here is the post from Fangoria
Universal Home Entertainment has a fresh batch of Bela Lugosi films on the way, including four teamups with Boris Karloff: 1934’s THE BLACK CAT, 1935’s THE RAVEN, THE INVISIBLE RAY and BLACK FRIDAY, along with MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE. These will also be issued in a boxed set, with no current plans to include extra features or to offer them separately.
I've been waitng for Black Cat for a long time I hope that they at least put some extras on the dvd.

THX1378

#2 Post by THX1378 » Thu May 05, 2005 9:13 pm

Wouldn't Black Cat fall into the whole "pre-code" film set? It deals with a lot of taboo stuff *satanic black mass ect.* that for the time must have been a big deal. I just hope that at least Universal puts some commentary tracks on the DVD. I bet that this isn't going to be a box set but one of those 2 disc fliper set like the other Universal monsters sets that came out last year.

filmfan

#3 Post by filmfan » Sat May 28, 2005 9:30 am

Creepy Classics.com has this listing...

THE KARLOFF-LUGOSI LEGACY (Five Movie Set) Release Date: September 2005 Includes: THE BLACK CAT (1934), THE RAVEN (1935), BLACK FRIDAY (1940), THE INVISIBLE RAY (1937) and MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1932) *The actual cover will replace this temporary one as soon as we have images. (Universal DVD $27)

Matt

#4 Post by Matt » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:03 pm

Looks like a Hammer collection will join this one in September:

From DVD Answers:

Title: Hammer Horror Series
Starring: N/A (Various)
Released: 6th September 2005
SRP: $29.98

Further Details
Universal has announced a release of the Hammer Horror Series which contains eight classic films on two-discs. The set will include Brides of Dracula, The Curse of the Werewolf, The Phantom of the Opera (1962), Paranoiac, Kiss of the Vampire, Nightmare, Night Creatures and The Evil of Frankenstein. Each will be presented in anamorphic widescreen, along with English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono tracks. English, French and Spanish subtitles will also be provided for each film. You'll be able to own this one from the 6th September, priced at around $29.98. Stay tuned for the official region one package artwork.

rumz

#5 Post by rumz » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:04 pm

matt wrote:Looks like a Hammer collection will join this one in September:
I'm pumped about this announcement, even though I've held on to my Anchor Bay clamshells...

THX1378

#6 Post by THX1378 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:08 pm

Few extras to speak of and all five movies are on ONE disc!
It will be a fliper disc like the other sets with 2 of the films on one side and 3 on the other. I was so in hopes that Black Cat and The Raven would have a commentary track. The Hammer set is going to kick ass. I've been waiting for a very long time to get my hands on Brides of Dracula, best Hammer horror film ever made.

DrewReiber

#7 Post by DrewReiber » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:00 am

THX1378 wrote:I've been waiting for a very long time to get my hands on Brides of Dracula, best Hammer horror film ever made.
And one of the better vampire movies ever made, I might add.

I picked up a bootleg from a recent comic convention, as I got tired of waiting. Serves me right, the exact same thing happened when I bought my Captain Kronos bootleg a few years back. I also picked up Vampire Circus and Twins of Evil. Sadly, no sign of those yet.

THX1378

#8 Post by THX1378 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:45 am

I'd agree on that. Brides was made when Hammer was still at the height of their powers before they started to turn on sequel after sequel to their Dracula and Frankenstein films. I think the best way to sum up the film for anyone that has never seen it is that it's pretty much a gothic/vampire fairytale by way of Hammer. I've never seen the film in widescreen, I've only been able to see it on the worn out VHS copy that I've had for many years so it's going to be a treat to get ahold of that DVD set.

colinr0380

#9 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:47 am

Is there any word on extras for the Hammer set or will it only be a release of the films?

unclehulot

#10 Post by unclehulot » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:30 am

THX1378 wrote:
Few extras to speak of and all five movies are on ONE disc!
It will be a fliper disc like the other sets with 2 of the films on one side and 3 on the other. I was so in hopes that Black Cat and The Raven would have a commentary track. The Hammer set is going to kick ass. I've been waiting for a very long time to get my hands on Brides of Dracula, best Hammer horror film ever made.
I would still bet on it being a two disc set to match the other Monster Legacy sets. Universal has been sloppy in pre-release info they are sending out. The Gary Cooper Collection (2 disc) set was listed as a 5 disc set some places (Netflix even had it divided into 3 or 4 discs initially!).

tryavna

#11 Post by tryavna » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:36 am

THX1378 wrote:
I'd agree on that. Brides was made when Hammer was still at the height of their powers
What?! You mean you don't care for their 1974 kung-fu opus Call Him Mr. Shatter with Stuart Whitman? :wink:

Actually, I'm partial to their late-1950s Quatermass films, but I'm looking forward to this release, as I find most Hammer films (no matter the genre) lots of fun.

DrewReiber

#12 Post by DrewReiber » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:56 am

You mean you don't care for their 1974 kung-fu opus Call Him Mr. Shatter with Stuart Whitman?
To be fair, some of their bravest films came out around that period because they were so desperate to pull themselves out of that rehashed sequel mess. Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires and Captain Kronos are among two of my favorite horror films of all time, and Twins of Evil is nothing to scoff at. And you wanna know something else bizarre? The Twins of Evil main title theme was completely regurgitated as the opening titles for Cartoon Network's Justice League series.

filmfan

#13 Post by filmfan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:50 am

On viewing "The Black Cat" you will be ASTOUNDED by the film transfer quality !

A cursory check, but not a complete viewing of "The Invisable Ray" is similar ! It's worth the wait...believe me !

unclehulot

#14 Post by unclehulot » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:14 pm

did it end up being a one disc (2 sided) release?

THX1378

Universal Legacy Series: Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy

#15 Post by THX1378 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:00 pm

No one has posted anything about this yet, so I thought I would post this since I found it on The Digital Bits and Dvd Answers:
Universal Home Video has announced 75th Anniversary releases of Dracula (1931) starring Bela Lugosi, and Frankenstein starring Boris Karloff and Colin Clive. Each two-disc package will be available to own from the 26th September, and both retailing at around $26.98 a pop. The full disc specs have yet to be revealed for either title I'm afraid, although we are able to confirm that the films will be presented in digitally remastered 1.33:1 full frame - along with English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono tracks. Extras will include all-new documentaries, feature commentaries and much more. We are also able to confirm that Dracula will include both the 1 hour 14 minute, and 1 hour 44 minute Spanish versions. Stay tuned for more.
Another double dip, but one I may get if they did clean up both films. Dracula was very much in need of a clean up, and I was surprised that with the last set that was released that they didn't take the time to clean it up then.

manicsounds

#16 Post by manicsounds » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:39 am

Is anyone out there thinking about getting these?
I already have the monster legacy giftset and these just seems a little pointless.

Matt

#17 Post by Matt » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:18 am

manicsounds wrote:Is anyone out there thinking about getting these?
I already have the monster legacy giftset and these just seems a little pointless.
Buying them twice was enough for me. All I ever watch is Bride of Frankenstein anyway.

TechNoir

#18 Post by TechNoir » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:53 pm

Full specs:
Dracula

Disc 1

- Lugosi The Dark Prince - A tribute to the film career of Bela Lugosi, with director Tod Browning.
- Monster Tracks - Interesting interactive pop-up facts about the making of Dracula that can be read while watching the film.
- The Road to Dracula - Documentary on the making of the film.
- Feature Commentary with film historian David J. Skal
- Feature Commentary with Steve Haberman, screenwriter of Dracula: Dead and Loving It.
- Phillip Glass score by Kronos Quartet.

Disc 2

- Dracula Spanish version with introduction by Lupita Tovar Kohner
- Universal Horror - This documentary, narrated by Kenneth Branagh takes you on a fascinating journey through the making of the most memorable monster films of all time.
- Packaging is the same as the other discs in the Universal Legacy series.

Frankenstein

Disc 1

- Karloff: The Gentle Monster - A tribute to the film career of Boris Karloff, focusing on director James Whale and Bela Lugosi.
- Monster Tracks: Interactive pop up facts.
- Feature Commentary with Rudy Behlmer
- Feature Commentary with historian Sir Christopher Frayling

Disc 2

- The Frankenstein Files - How Hollywood made a monster.
- Frankenstein Archives - Original posters and photo galleries.
- Universal Horror - This documentary narrated by Kenneth Branagh takes you on a fascinating journey through the making of the most memorable monster films of all time.
- Boo! - A short film
I have no idea if the Universal Horror documentary is the same for both sets.

davebert

#19 Post by davebert » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:09 pm

We sold our one sales copy of Dracula within an hour of receiving it; at $22 I think I can resist the urge myself, but the specs (and packaging) did look fantastic. No word on the transfer though.

zombeaner

#20 Post by zombeaner » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:07 pm

Dave wrote:We sold our one sales copy of Dracula within an hour of receiving it; at $22 I think I can resist the urge myself, but the specs (and packaging) did look fantastic. No word on the transfer though.
The new Dracula is reviewed on DVDBeaver.com

You sold it already? It doesn't street till next tuesday!

davebert

#21 Post by davebert » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:16 pm

Thanks for the review link, it certainly sounds like a treat.

(And I work at a rental place thats notorious for streeting early, so that's why. Wednesday is our new release day for next week.)

zombeaner

#22 Post by zombeaner » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:30 am

Dave wrote:Thanks for the review link, it certainly sounds like a treat.

(And I work at a rental place thats notorious for streeting early, so that's why. Wednesday is our new release day for next week.)
Ahh, well, Wal Mart of all places has had Hard Candy on the shelf for like two weeks in my neighborhood

Gordon

#23 Post by Gordon » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:38 pm

Matt wrote:All I ever watch is Bride of Frankenstein anyway.
How is that DVD, btw? From what I can gather, the current transfer (created in 1999/2000) was deemed good at the time of release, but now it is often said to look soft, with poor contrast levels. Also, is it progressive? The individual edition is OOP, the only way of seeing it being via the Legacy boxed set, so a new edition, with an all-new HD transfer would be most welcome.

Gregory

#24 Post by Gregory » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:57 pm

The same is true of Son of Frankenstein, as far as I can tell. I wonder if there's any chance of that one being re-released in the Legacy Series like Dracula and Frankenstein.

filmnoir1

#25 Post by filmnoir1 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:46 pm

The documentary included that is narrated by Branaugh, is it the Kevin Brownlow documentary?