Universal: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Eclisse

#76 Post by Eclisse » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:49 am

I changed my mind about this box set because of the "expiration date" on the old discs.

from digital bits:
One last note today... we've noticed a strange thing here at The Bits. In going back to a lot of our very early Universal DVD releases (released in 1997 and 1998), we've discovered that many of those discs have simply stopped working in our DVD players. We don't know if the discs' bonding layers have gone bad, or if they're simply not compatible with newer players, or what. Affected so far are our original copies of the special collector's editions of Apollo 13, Psycho, Vertigo and others. We recommend that you check the older Universal titles in your own collections for similar problems. Let us know if you're encountering this as well.

Back tomorrow. Stay tuned...
=D>

dx23

#77 Post by dx23 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:54 am

The Universal Studios website is reporting that Family Plot, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, Shadow of a Doubt, and Torn Curtain are going to be released individually on Febraury 7 2006.

http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/c ... F01%2F2006

Anonymous

#78 Post by Anonymous » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:31 pm

Do you think this means they'll release the other titles in the box set individually as well?

dx23

#79 Post by dx23 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:55 pm

Do you think this means they'll release the other titles in the box set individually as well?
Most likely. And it wouldn't surprise me if they re-re-re-released Psycho and Vertigo as part of their deluxe Legacy Series.

dx23

#80 Post by dx23 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:47 am

From thedigitalbits.com:
In other release news, Universal has announced that the Hitchcock classics Frenzy, Rope, Saboteur, Topaz and The Trouble with Harry will each be available in singly on 6/20 (SRP $19.98 each). These are the same remastered versions available currently as part of the studio's Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection box set.

dx23

#81 Post by dx23 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:32 am

From dvdactive.com:
Title: Alfred Hitchcock Singles
Starring: N/A (Various)
Released: 20th June 2006
SRP: $19.98 Each

Further Details:

Universal Home Video has today announced individual releases of a number of Alfred Hitchcock films. Available from the 20th June will be Frenzy, Rope, Saboteur, Topaz and The Trouble with Harry. Each disc should set you back around $19.98. Rope and Saboteur will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame, along with English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono tracks. The rest will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. Disc contents will be identical to those previously available in the recent Alfred Hitchcock boxset, so you can expect production notes, behind the scenes featurettes, trailers and more. We've attached artwork below
Cover art for each release here

Joe Buck

#82 Post by Joe Buck » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:16 pm

I've heard a lot of contradictions regarding the quality of these new DVDs. I did not buy the whole set because I am not really that big of a stickler. Now, as the films begin to be released separately, I dipped my toe and picked up Man Who Knew Too Much as it is one of my favorites and the previous DVD left much to be desired. Based on my A-B comparisons, the new version is much better, although still far from perfect. The edge enhancement is a little distracting as well.

Now, obviously I'll get Vertigo, if only for the mono soundtrack. Of the other titles, the only ones I'm really thinking about are Torn Curtain and Rear Window. I've heard that Torn Curtain is dramatically improved. Can anyone verify this for sure?

What's the deal with Rear Window? Is it enough of an improvement for me to invest?

I suppose I may have to get Pycho as well, just for the anamorphic wide screen.

I don't need new versions of movies like Rope and Trouble With Harry, as I barely watched them anyway.

Give it to me straight. Which DVDs are genuine improvements? I mean really noticeable. Do I really need to buy them all?

I like the old packaging, so I will discard the new cases. They are hideous, and those ridiculous cardboard sleeves have to go!

Gigi M.

#83 Post by Gigi M. » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:15 pm

Joe Buck wrote: Give it to me straight. Which DVDs are genuine improvements? I mean really noticeable. Do I really need to buy them all?

I like the old packaging, so I will discard the new cases. They are hideous, and those ridiculous cardboard sleeves have to go!
JOE, if you're a Hitch fan, there's absolutely no reason for you not getting this set. Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho, The Birds and Marnie are the biggest improvements for me.

Anyway, check out Beaver review for any doubts you might still have.

manicsounds

#84 Post by manicsounds » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:53 am

Watched ROPE and I think the quality is much better than the old release.
If you want an example, just watch the Making Of where the quality of the color
is exactly what the old DVD looked like.

This boxset is one of the best deals you can come across, and is essential

Joe Buck

#85 Post by Joe Buck » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:01 pm

All right, you sold me on it. I got it from a dealer on Amazon for $59.99 (?!?!) and used 2 gift certs on it, so it only cost me $12!

I believe this when I see it, though. It's a new seller and it's probably a scam.

subliminac

#86 Post by subliminac » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:35 pm

Don't be so sure. I bought the Wong Kar Wai box from an Amazon seller for $.99 plus shipping once.

Joe Buck

#87 Post by Joe Buck » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:25 am

Well, the Amazon seller was honest after all and I got me DVDs last night. I checked a few of them out and they do indeed look better, particularly Torn Curtain and Vertigo. I had already seen the new Man Who Knew Too Much transfer and although there are still flaws, I thought it was far superior to the previous version. I had been a bit scared off because some reviewers said it was actually worse than before. One disc that I am not that enthusiastic about is Rear Window, which still doesn't look right to me. The colors look dull. I enjoyed the extra disc, although I concur that they should have included much more of the AFI tribute.

So I am glad I went ahead and upgraded, although the fact that I only paid $9 was a big plus.

otis

#88 Post by otis » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:42 pm

Just occurred to me - does the new disc of Vertigo still have the discarded final scene with Scottie and Mitch hearing of Elster's arrest on the radio? It was on the old disc as an easter egg, I think.

Joe Buck

#89 Post by Joe Buck » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:12 pm

Yes, although now it is easy to find.

Gordon

#90 Post by Gordon » Mon May 08, 2006 6:34 pm

Are Universal going to get their act together and release Psycho, Vertigo and The Birds this year, or what? I'd love to buy the box, but I know I'll get a cutoms charge (I live in the UK). Bad marketing by Universal, I feel.

zedz

#91 Post by zedz » Mon May 08, 2006 8:00 pm

It'd be a bit of a repackage effort for Universal, as the (very good) supporting documentaries for Psycho and The Birds (any other R Pollard fans out there?) are included on the set's bonus disc. I suspect that with Universal's general laziness this is going to take a while. If I were you I'd just keep my eyes peeled for a really good sale on the box (so the customs won't sting so much).

Gigi M.

#92 Post by Gigi M. » Mon May 08, 2006 8:22 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote:Are Universal going to get their act together and release Psycho, Vertigo and The Birds this year, or what? I'd love to buy the box, but I know I'll get a cutoms charge (I live in the UK). Bad marketing by Universal, I feel.
Since Double Indemnity has been announced under their Legacy Series label, I see no reason why Vertigo and Psycho couldn't get the same treatment. What do you think?

kinjitsu

#93 Post by kinjitsu » Mon May 08, 2006 8:38 pm

Universal's first wave of discs from this set were Family Plot, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, Shadow of a Doubt, and Torn Curtain, the second wave (pending) will include Frenzy, Rope, Saboteur, Topaz and The Trouble With Harry. My guess is that they won't release The Birds, Psycho, Rear Window, Rope and Vertigo until just before the holidays, so I wouldn't exactly call that bad marketing

Lino

#94 Post by Lino » Tue May 09, 2006 3:29 am

Gordon McMurphy wrote:Are Universal going to get their act together and release Psycho, Vertigo and The Birds this year, or what? I'd love to buy the box, but I know I'll get a cutoms charge (I live in the UK). Bad marketing by Universal, I feel.
Why don't you try ordering it through this one here. That's where I bought mine and it arrived safely and customs charges free.

bjeggert82

#95 Post by bjeggert82 » Tue May 16, 2006 2:41 pm

kinjitsu wrote:Universal's first wave of discs from this set were Family Plot, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, Shadow of a Doubt, and Torn Curtain, the second wave (pending) will include Frenzy, Rope, Saboteur, Topaz and The Trouble With Harry. My guess is that they won't release The Birds, Psycho, Rear Window, Rope and Vertigo until just before the holidays, so I wouldn't exactly call that bad marketing
Not bad marketing at all.... and since those are the bigger titles in the set, it would be wonderful if we could get 2-disc Legacy Series editions, similar to the Double Indemnity and The Sting editions. Maybe that's why they're saviing the best for last.

Kinsayder

#96 Post by Kinsayder » Tue May 16, 2006 11:42 pm

Watching the Masterpiece Collection Vertigo on a projection system last night, I was quite distracted by the edge enhancement halos on this transfer. I've seen worse examples, but this surprised me because of the good reviews I'd read.

Here's a cropped screenshot to show what I mean.

dx23

#97 Post by dx23 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:55 pm

Digital Bits' Rumor Mill is reporting that Universal will be releasing Legacy Series DVDs of Psycho and the Birds on September.
September - 30 ... The Birds: Legacy Series, Psycho: Legacy Series

barnyard078

#98 Post by barnyard078 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:03 pm

No mention of Vertigo or Rear Window, as of yet. However, I would not be surprised to see eventual Legacy Series releases for these films also.

filmnoir1

#99 Post by filmnoir1 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:22 pm

Does anyone know who or where to contact someone at Universal home video about replacing a defaulty disc of Rear Window?

nick
grace thought I was a failure

#100 Post by nick » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:02 pm

filmnoir1 wrote:Does anyone know who or where to contact someone at Universal home video about replacing a defaulty disc of Rear Window?
In the past I've sent my email to: USHE.ConsumerRelations@worldmarkinc.com

You will receive a response with instructions on the return.

cheers
nick