Von Stroheim's Greed

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Von Stroheim's Greed

#126 Post by domino harvey » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:32 pm

The decision-making process behind the rando daily featured article must be some weird algorithm, because the other day's was just the page for Melissa George's one-season character on Grey's Anatomy. I suspect Greed's spotlight will be met with far less interest than the DVD/Blu-ray-boosting event you are hoping for

the

#127 Post by the » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:31 am

I found this comparison claiming to show a 720p Turner Classic Movies version as compared to a previous TCM version. My hunch is that it's just an upscale of the 480p version.

From this one image it looks better than the other (VHS?) version but looking at the eyes it looks like an upscale. Not enough detail. Does anyone with more experience want to agree or disagree? Longshot: does anyone with the iTunes download know what part of the film this is? Are you able to take a screenshot to compare?

I don't know why a DVD release hasn't happened yet. The rights cannot be that complicated.
The decision-making process behind the rando daily featured article must be some weird algorithm, because the other day's was just the page for Melissa George's one-season character on Grey's Anatomy. I suspect Greed's spotlight will be met with far less interest than the DVD/Blu-ray-boosting event you are hoping for
Wikipedia is one of the most popular websites. People seeing the article clipping is enough for me.

deoliolioxenfree

#128 Post by deoliolioxenfree » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:16 pm

There's no weird algorithm. It will now definitely be featured on December 4th. I am not suggesting that this may cause 'Greed' to sweep the nation and be all the rage with the kids, I am simply saying that if enough people show interest in the film then WB may be convinced that there is a sizable enough market for them to, at long last, release Greed themed lunchboxes and underoos. I suspect that domino harvey has no interest in such jammies and snack time reciprocals, but we will see.

FrauBlucher

#129 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:36 pm

And of course, there is also the possibility that Greed is one of the titles that Criterion has struck in the deal with WB.

jaffe1234

#130 Post by jaffe1234 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:30 am

Does anyone here know if this Spanish DVD edition of Greed have english intertitles? It says that Spanish subtitles but with silent films it's hard to know if it means that there are optional subtitles or are the intertititles themselves been translated? These seems to be the only available edition of 140 minutes cut of Greed so I would love to buy it but I don't speak Spanish so I wouldn't want to order if before getting confirmation that intertitles are still in English.