Silent Film on DVD and BD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Calvin

Re: Silent Film on DVD and BD

#701 Post by Calvin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:43 pm

As per DVDClassik, France's Lobster Films has a great lineup this year, including J'Accuse and a Dziga Vertov box with The Man with a Movie Camera on Blu-Ray.

HerrSchreck

#702 Post by HerrSchreck » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:13 am

Here's hoping that the Vertov finally gets its due at long last with a long overdue well executed HD restoration
I've been burning holes in my ancient Image/Alloy/Tsivian disc close to a decade now if not more.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#703 Post by tenia » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:50 pm

The Man with a Camera is said to be arriving in a brand new HD restoration, taken from Vertov's own copy of the movie.
Also, they will release a Charlie Bowers boxset, including the 2nd part of Many a slip and of Whoozit.

hearthesilence

#704 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:30 pm

It WAS restored, I caught it at MoMA back in 2011.

And yes, it looked amazing, and the live score, inspired by original accompaniment notes left by Vertov himself (biggest revelation for me: Vertov was making a COMEDY) was superb.

karlchuk

#705 Post by karlchuk » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:37 am

Hi all,

I would like to say that the list of silents on blu-ray on this thread is an excellent resource, and many thanks to Eddie and all! How about adding Chaplin's 'A Woman of Paris', which is available on blu-ray in a number of countries, and also Madame Dubarry (Lubitsch 1922) will be released in September as part of the Masters of Cinema series?

Thanks again to Eddie and all contributors here.

EddieLarkin

#706 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks for your updates (I should really check this thread more often). I've added Madam DuBarry and A Woman of Paris, along with Als ich tot war (included with the former), and the 1914 short The Lumberjack, featured on Flicker Alley's new Blu-ray We're in the Movies: Palace of Silents & Itinerant Filmmaking.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#707 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Is this Fatty Arbuckle set DVD-Rs or pressed DVDs? A lot of the reviews mention problems with the disc covers peeling off or blank discs, which makes me think it's a burned set, but it's still not clear whether it is pressed or DVD-R

jheez

#708 Post by jheez » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:55 pm

My set is pressed, but the discs are next to the lowest quality discs I've seen. The back of the discs have a speckled haze.

EddieLarkin

#709 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

It's worth pointing out that the set's producer, Paul E. Gierucki, is currently working on a new Blu-ray set, the Arbuckle Anthology. Details of which films will make up the 35 or so planned are due to be published soon, so it may be worth holding off in case many of them are the same.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#710 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:59 pm

Thank you both, I think I will hold off on the DVD set even at such a good price

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#711 Post by Drucker » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:12 pm

At this point, is there any sort of decent DVD release of either Joyless Street or DuPont's Variety available...at all? Is the latter lost or in desperate need of repair? It seems shocking that such a film that seems so revered in film history books has no release available. (though I'm sure you could say that about hundreds of films).

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#712 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Joyless Street has a nice release from Edition Filmmuseum.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#714 Post by Drucker » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:41 pm

Wonderful on both fronts! Hopefully/presumably the latter comes to MOC!

Tommaso

#715 Post by Tommaso » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:59 am

Talking of which, the new restoration of Flaherty's "Moana" played a few days ago on arte TV, and it looked stunning. This MUST get an MoC release.

Saturnome

#716 Post by Saturnome » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:32 pm

Wasn't there something about a Criterion Flaherty box set at some point?

Very excited for Variété! The instant this is on blu-ray I'll get it.

hearthesilence

#717 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Tommaso wrote:Talking of which, the new restoration of Flaherty's "Moana" played a few days ago on arte TV, and it looked stunning. This MUST get an MoC release.
YES, this was actually screened at the NYFF, but I wasn't around to see it. They more or less took a restored version of the soundtrack from the 'sound version' created much later by Monica Flaherty and Ricky Leacock (between 1975 and 1980) and married it to a pristine picture transferred from the the best surviving materials. I think previously they had created the sound version with picture elements that were far from the best available, correct?

This absolutely screams for a BD release - viewable as Robert Flaherty originally finished it or with Monica Flaherty and Ricky Leacock's soundtrack.

Tommaso

#718 Post by Tommaso » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:48 am

Monica Flaherty's soundtrack consisting solely of (recreated) ambient noises, talking and occasional 'found music' from Polynesia is very effective and enhances the 'documentary' feeling which I'm sure was what Robert Flaherty was after. Still, I wouldn't mind having an alternative music score which would associate the film more with 'standard', less 'ethnographic' silent cinema perhaps. Not that I think this would be 'better', but it might open up a different way of perceiving those impressive visuals.

rockysds

#719 Post by rockysds » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:35 pm

Some quick notes on some recent Lobster Films dual format releases:

The Dziga Vertov set (containing Kino Eye, Kino Pravda no. 21, The Man with a Camera, Enthusiasm, Three Songs about Lenin) has a choice of English or French subtitles on the original Russian, except for The Man with a Camera, where the intro are new French titles with available English subs. Only spotchecked the transfers but they seem fine.

The Max Linder box has optional French subtitles on the English intertitles. I've only seen Seven Years Bad Luck so far, but it looks great.

J'accuse doesn't has English subtitles on either the main feature or the extra film: Mères francaise (1916).

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#720 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:10 am

Also, for people interested : J'accuse is using a restoration performed before 2011 and at 25 fps. It is thus encoded on the BD in 1080i50.

EddieLarkin

#721 Post by EddieLarkin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:07 pm

Lobster have also released a complete Blu-ray set of Charley Bowers' surviving works. Does anyone have it or aware of any reviews?

zedz

#722 Post by zedz » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:44 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:Lobster have also released a complete Blu-ray set of Charley Bowers' surviving works. Does anyone have it or aware of any reviews?
Note the perplexing credit for this French release of American films:
Audio : Serbe (Dolby Digital 2.0)
A claim reiterated in the product description.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#723 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:48 am

I have the Lobster BD release from Q4 2015. I'll try to post reviews on Retro HD with discs scans and screenshots for : J'accuse, the Dziga Vertov set and the Bowers set. I dont know when though because I already have plenty of reviews to do for other stuff but still.

This being said, I shortly screened J'accuse and the Vertov set and most of the stuff look very very nice.

Note that J'accuse is in 1080i because the restoration had been performed at 25fps.

EddieLarkin

#724 Post by EddieLarkin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:26 pm

Thanks tenia
zedz wrote:Note the perplexing credit for this French release of American films:
Audio : Serbe (Dolby Digital 2.0)
A claim reiterated in the product description.
I actually went and double checked that these didn't feature new music compositions by a Serbian composer...

Also perplexing is the fact this is not available to buy on Amazon despite being out for such a short time. Posts on Blu-ray.com suggest that it may never have been available to buy from Amazon directly since the listing went up, even though it has a price and everything.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#725 Post by tenia » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:06 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:Also perplexing is the fact this is not available to buy on Amazon despite being out for such a short time. Posts on Blu-ray.com suggest that it may never have been available to buy from Amazon directly since the listing went up, even though it has a price and everything.
There has been issues with supplying at Lobster from the pressing manufacturer, and then, I understood they had other issues. That's why the product pages have been very long to be uploaded, and now, it seems Amazon don't hold stock for now.