Studio Ghibli on DVD

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
dx23

Re: Studio Ghibli on DVD

#501 Post by dx23 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:35 am

Any news on this company releasing Grave of the Fireflies?

Calvin

#502 Post by Calvin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:43 am

dx23 wrote:Any news on this company releasing Grave of the Fireflies?
Grave and The Wind Rises aren't included; Grave will stay with Sentai Filmworks.

PfR73

#503 Post by PfR73 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:25 pm

Davebert,
Will the releases contain both lossless English & Japanese audio tracks? The Disney release of Ponyo only had a lossy Dolby Digital Japanese track.
I would also personally love to see a lossless French track on Porco Rosso (my favorite Miyazaki) since I've read that it is Miyazaki's preferred dub. The Disney Blu-Ray only has it in lossy Dolby Digital.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#504 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:55 pm

I wonder if there has ever been a high quality Italian version of Porco -- I always feel like I should be hearing this in Italian (with a few bits of Adriatic Croatian thrown in here and there). ;-)
Last edited by Michael Kerpan on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davebert

#505 Post by davebert » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:11 pm

PfR73 wrote:Davebert,
Will the releases contain both lossless English & Japanese audio tracks? The Disney release of Ponyo only had a lossy Dolby Digital Japanese track.
I would also personally love to see a lossless French track on Porco Rosso (my favorite Miyazaki) since I've read that it is Miyazaki's preferred dub. The Disney Blu-Ray only has it in lossy Dolby Digital.
We are always going to do lossless for Japanese + English, I think probably lossy for French but it depends on available bitrate.

Calvin wrote: Any chance of adding extras? I'm thinking specifically of the 6 1/2 hour long making-of documentary for Princess Mononoke, which I would also gladly purchase as a separate DVD if Ghibli prohibited including it in the same release for some reason.

It would also be fantastic to see 'On Your Mark', 'Yuki's Sun' and the hour long conversation between Miyazaki and Akira Kurosawa.
We are starting by duplicating extras available on the Japanese Blu-rays... that's Ghibli's preference. I'm swinging for the fences on a few things but expect to strike out on most. You never know, though!
andyli wrote:Awesome. Also, Nausicaa has two Japanese releases, one with extras and one with MGVC encoded video. The two transfers are quite different. Do you know which one you are going to use?
I can only comment on the JP Blu that I have in-house, but when we looked at the restored master provided by Ghibli, it looked much more natural than the artificially brightened master used on JP and Disney Blus, which came from the same encode. So I think this is a title that will definitely benefit.

StevenJ0001

#506 Post by StevenJ0001 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:14 pm

Davebert, thanks for your input!

Can you confirm that all releases will have real subtitles translating the Japanese track rather than the aforementioned "dubtitles" that some of the Disney releases had?

Calvin

#507 Post by Calvin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:37 am

davebert wrote:
Calvin wrote: Any chance of adding extras? I'm thinking specifically of the 6 1/2 hour long making-of documentary for Princess Mononoke, which I would also gladly purchase as a separate DVD if Ghibli prohibited including it in the same release for some reason.

It would also be fantastic to see 'On Your Mark', 'Yuki's Sun' and the hour long conversation between Miyazaki and Akira Kurosawa.
We are starting by duplicating extras available on the Japanese Blu-rays... that's Ghibli's preference. I'm swinging for the fences on a few things but expect to strike out on most. You never know, though!
I'll keep my fingers crossed! At least in Japan, the consumer has the option to augment their collection with the separate releases of the documentaries whereas here they're currently not available at all - so hopefully Ghibli can see it from that angle.

I certainly think there's a market for premium editions of the films down the line, with 'Criterion-style' extras, booklets etc.

davebert

#508 Post by davebert » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 am

StevenJ0001 wrote:Davebert, thanks for your input!

Can you confirm that all releases will have real subtitles translating the Japanese track rather than the aforementioned "dubtitles" that some of the Disney releases had?
Yes, we are doing subtitles and dubtitles for each release.

EddieLarkin

#509 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:11 am

Please be advised that the English subtitles that Ghibli have available for Kiki's Delivery Service are actually dubtitles (for the old Streamline dub). To have genuine subtitles a whole new translation is required.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#510 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:54 am

EddieLarkin wrote:Please be advised that the English subtitles that Ghibli have available for Kiki's Delivery Service are actually dubtitles (for the old Streamline dub). To have genuine subtitles a whole new translation is required.
Has there ever been a properly subbed version of Kiki?

Luckily one can still find an actual script translation: http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/kiki/s ... iki_en.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EddieLarkin

#511 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:33 pm

Nope. If GKIDS step up they'll be the first.

StevenJ0001

#512 Post by StevenJ0001 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:38 pm

davebert wrote:
StevenJ0001 wrote:Davebert, thanks for your input!

Yes, we are doing subtitles and dubtitles for each release.
Thanks!

jojo

#513 Post by jojo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Got the new Nausicaa BD from GKIDS. It uses the new transfer found in the 2014 Miyazaki box set release in Japan. This transfer has cooler tones than the first Nausicaa release.

For those curious, here:
http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=4339&d2=10901&c=328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I have no idea what Nausicaa "should" have originally looked like, I cannot comment on whether this is more faithful to the original theatrical release. I will say that I have never seen any trailers or past versions of Nausicaa where her hair was this "red". On the other hand, it also looks more natural and less contrast boosted.

The issues with the Disney BD have been fixed on GKIDS. Original credits intact, etc,.

I've not gotten the other BDs yet. However, I've only heard one problem with the new releases. As suspected a few posts above, Kiki still has an annoying issue as it now uses the Streamline dub script for its subtitles in place of the "dubtitles" of the Disney release.