Technical Issues and Questions

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
TMDaines

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#1676 Post by TMDaines » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:58 am

How much RAM have you got?

repeat

#1677 Post by repeat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:07 pm

Me? I got 4 Gb at the moment (old Mac Mini from 2009) and it seems to be OK for most stuff

Oedipax

#1678 Post by Oedipax » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:42 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 4K/UHD blu-ray player (not upscaling, I mean to play UHD discs) that supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision and isn't super expensive? I've got a few UHD discs hanging around now that have come with regular blu-ray editions, and since I did recently buy an LG OLED with 4K/HDR capabilities, I'd like to start using them. But most of the players that are in my range (say $300 max) don't support one HDR format or the other, and I'm not going to invest in a player I'm not sure will continue to play whatever I can throw at it within this generation of discs. Is this just a case of waiting for new players and prices to start coming down?

I saw that LG apparently put out one player that supported both formats - the UP970 - and would be within my range ($230 on special promotion), but then I read some stuff involving LG recalling the firmware that supported both formats.

Edit: Okay, some updates. It looks like the UP970 does support Dolby Vision again after some more recent firmware updates. And the noise issues mentioned in some reviews appear to refer to earlier manufactured models that by now shouldn't be a concern.

There is also the UP870 which you can snag for $80 off Amazon or even less, like $25-50 from Wal-Mart if you get lucky and find one there. But it's HDR10 only.

The promo price for the UP970 is only valid through tomorrow (March 3), then I suppose it might jump up to $300 again.

I'm kind of leaning towards just getting a UP870 for now and upgrading again once the dust settles a bit more.

perkizitore

#1679 Post by perkizitore » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:20 pm

My pick for best affordable player that supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision is the Sony UBP-X700.

P.S. The only player that supports both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision is Panasonic DP-UB820.

ermylaw

#1680 Post by ermylaw » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:27 pm

I’ve been doing some research into 4K this week considering getting a new television. So as I read your question, I thought, “I’ve just seen sub-$100 players that do this.” But...

In my research I hadn’t even noticed that most players don’t do Dolby Vision (although I’m not entirely sure what that even is) and I didn’t know there was such a thing as HDR10+.

I feel like making the technology indecipherable to consumers is probably not a great thing. It has a paralyzing effect: although I have the means to buy this stuff, I can’t get over the fact that it seems like whatever one buys today will be outdated tomorrow by the version with a higher number or a “+”.

Oedipax

#1681 Post by Oedipax » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:55 am

Thanks for the recommendations, perkizitore. The existence of HDR10+ is news to me - here I was, thinking if I could at least cover the two HDR formats I knew of, I'd be relatively future-proof for a few years.

It does seem like this kind of format battle always hurts adoption of a new format at least in the short term. Now more than ever, probably, given the dominance of streaming for most people these days.

It's kind of ironic that I'm only looking into getting one of these players in the first place because I want to rewatch Song to Song in 4K, and that disc isn't even HDR.

ermylaw

#1683 Post by ermylaw » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:34 am

Very helpful. Thank you!

Adam Grikepelis

#1684 Post by Adam Grikepelis » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:18 am

No worries. They’re a useful site when it comes to emerging home video technology.

FigrinDan
The Immortal Dead

#1685 Post by FigrinDan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Adam Grikepelis wrote:They’re a useful site when it comes to emerging home video technology.
I do enjoy reading Bill Hunt's technical related articles and reviews. He seems to be at all the shows and conventions for the latest technologies.
I also like to use The Digital Bits for their "Release Dates & Artwork" page. Anyone use a similar website?

Oedipax

#1686 Post by Oedipax » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:59 pm

In case it helps anyone, just snagged the Sony UBP-X700 off Amazon for $228 shipped from a marketplace seller. It was $248 + tax shipped from Amazon a few hours ago.

DeprongMori

#1687 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:11 pm

Anyone have any experience with modded 4K UHD units for region-switching? Are such units supporting HDR10+ and/or Dolby Vision?

Oedipax

#1688 Post by Oedipax » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:12 pm

Keep in mind that UHD is a region-free format (unless there's new developments I'm unaware of) - you would only need the region-free component for standard blu-rays and DVDs.

Adam Grikepelis

#1689 Post by Adam Grikepelis » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:40 pm

I would’ve thought that the video signal would be unaffected by a mod kit, as it’s not in-line with the video out. The kit’s just telling the player what region/zone to be when the disc is inserted.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1690 Post by Drucker » Sat May 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Just when you think you have your setup in perfect tip-top shape, a new issue of course. Has anyone else ever noticed the black bars on full-frame films fluctuate from pure black?

In the last few weeks, I've begun to notice that certain full-frame blu ray discs I have will occasionally show a sort of density fluctuation WITHIN the black bars. They'll very briefly fluctuate from pure black to a milky black on occasion. I don't know if this has always happened or I've just become more sensitive to it.

My gut tells me I need to replace the HDMI cable I had been moving the same HDMI cable between two players for a while and perhaps could have damaged the cable. I used to have player issues with an older player/TV that were fixed by replacing the HDMI cable. The main issue, however, is that the issues always occur at the same place on a disc. If I'm watching a disc, see the issue, and rewind, it'll occur again. This is leading me to believe the issue is actually present on the disc.

One disc this issue is definitely occuring on is the Twin Peaks Complete Mystery blu-ray FWIW.

A few other notes about this:
-My TV is calibrated and is a Plasma
-The issue does not appear on my cable input, just the BD player
-I have a brand new BD player
-This issues does not occur in black bars in non 1:33 films.
-The issues does not seem to occur at all in 1.78 discs at all, either
-The issue definitely seems to occur during high-density fluctuation moments as well.

Am I noticing something that has always been there? Or does something need replacing?

David M.

#1691 Post by David M. » Sun May 06, 2018 8:43 am

Samsung F8500 plasma?
They all did that occasionally, if I recall correctly. And I think it may have been specific to the 24hz mode (which is why you won’t see it on your 60hz cable box feed). It may be exacerbated by aging.

It doesn’t have anything to do with HDMI.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1692 Post by Drucker » Sun May 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Wow that's a relief. Yes the 8500. Thank you so much!

FrauBlucher

#1693 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed May 09, 2018 6:30 am

I'm in the market for a flatscreen TV, 40" to 45". Any recommendations?

soundchaser
No longer chasing skirts

#1694 Post by soundchaser » Wed May 09, 2018 11:24 am

Are you looking for a 4K tv? What's your budget like?

kekid

#1695 Post by kekid » Mon May 14, 2018 2:24 pm

OPPO is ending making Blu Ray Players. No reason for this decision is given by the company, but it is suspected that the action is the result of diminishing consumer interest in physical media.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1696 Post by Drucker » Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Quick question regarding 4k Discs.

It seems there are several instances of imperfect/sub-par BDs that have nice makeovers in 4k. I'm thinking The Dark Knight and Blade Runner for starters.

Since I have a 4k Oppo and Plasma 1080 HDTV, I can buy the new 4k discs and basically enjoy an "upgraded" HD experience, right? There's no downside to watching a 4k Disc on a standard hi-def TV, right?
Last edited by Drucker on Mon May 14, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

#1697 Post by MichaelB » Mon May 14, 2018 5:59 pm

kekid wrote:OPPO is ending making Blu Ray Players. No reason for this decision is given by the company, but it is suspected that the action is the result of diminishing consumer interest in physical media.
I understood that it was specifically because other manufacturers are making 4K players that are almost as good for far lower prices thanks to economies of scale that Oppo can't hope to compete with.

kekid

#1698 Post by kekid » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:25 pm

I understand that in order to be 4K ready one needs to upgrade both the Blu Ray player and the TV Monitor. If for financial reasons I decided to do this in steps, upgrading to the 4K player first but leaving the TV alone, what are the implications? (1) No perceived change in picture quality, (2) deterioration in picture quality, or (3) improvement in picture quality, though not the same as when the monitor is also upgraded. Since OPPO is no longer making players, I am thinking of buying one before they are gone. Is there any reason, from picture quality standpoint, I should not do this?

hearthesilence

#1700 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:15 pm

I did this because I couldn't afford to upgrade everything immediately. First, I bought a PS3, then shortly after I bought BD titles, and even though I still had a CRT TV, an upgrade was inevitable and I didn't want to pass up any deals that came my way. (These were titles I would eventually have bought anyway, so might as well get the best deal now even if I can't watch them until later.) It was probably a year before I got an HDTV.

FYI, PS3 was a terrible investment. Versatile home entertainment console, but a ridiculous design flaw involving the heat sink paste made it close to a piece of junk after two years of usage.