Godzilla on DVD and Blu-ray

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
Movie-Brat

Re: Godzilla on DVD and Blu-ray

#76 Post by Movie-Brat » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:56 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:As in, the disc features the Japanese language track, but it is not subtitled. The subs on the disc are simply for the English dub. Hence, dubtitles.
It's more like a disbelief "What?" But really, Sony couldn't afford a translator to make subtitles?

EddieLarkin

#77 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:09 pm

I guess they figured dubtitles were good enough since the Toho international dubs are faithful for the most part. Some of the other releases have "hybrid" subtitles, that are a mix of translation and dub script. I think the only Sony discs that have fully accurately translated subtitles are Godzilla vs Hedorah, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (02) and Godzilla Final Wars.

Movie-Brat

#78 Post by Movie-Brat » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:19 pm

Well hopefully should this rumor be true, they'll fix those problems.

EddieLarkin

#79 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:36 pm

The 4 double features are now up on Amazon, $20 RRP each. I'm glad we're getting all of their Heisei titles, but I'm pretty annoyed they've paired the last one with a Millennium title!

Movie-Brat

#80 Post by Movie-Brat » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:48 pm

They only own five in the Heisei series, they had to pair it up with something.

EddieLarkin

#81 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:16 am

All 28 films coming to Blu-ray in Japan this year:

http://www.toho-a-park.com/godzilla-60th/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently, some of the currently available Blu-rays will be getting new remasters.

Almost certainly no English subs of course, and they'll set you back about £30 a piece! I might get King Kong though, and use my own subs.

StevenJ0001

#82 Post by StevenJ0001 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:All 28 films coming to Blu-ray in Japan this year:

http://www.toho-a-park.com/godzilla-60th/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently, some of the currently available Blu-rays will be getting new remasters.

Almost certainly no English subs of course, and they'll set you back about £30 a piece! I might get King Kong though, and use my own subs.
Wow!! :shock:

Is the process of ripping and subbing from Blu-ray fairly painless, once you have the subtitle file?

EddieLarkin

#83 Post by EddieLarkin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Once you know how to do it, it's straightforward enough.

Learning is the hard part.

StevenJ0001

#84 Post by StevenJ0001 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:11 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:Once you know how to do it, it's straightforward enough.

Learning is the hard part.
Thanks for the info!

Movie-Brat

#85 Post by Movie-Brat » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:40 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:All 28 films coming to Blu-ray in Japan this year:

Maybe when Shout Factory gets the rights to Return of Godzilla, they'll use the master used in the Japanese Blu-Ray. If that's among the ones getting a new remaster.

StevenJ0001

#86 Post by StevenJ0001 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:11 pm

Destroy All Monsters returns on Blu, Godzilla vs. Megalon on Blu too:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014 ... y-and-dvd/

vertovfan

#87 Post by vertovfan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:51 pm

I pre-ordered the Godzilla vs. Megalon blu-ray in November 2011. I've been receiving emails from Amazon once a month ever since, stating that the release date has changed and no new date is available. The order is still open - it would be funny if it actually ended up being filled by this upcoming release!

Movie-Brat

#88 Post by Movie-Brat » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Couple of things.

One, Classic Media is re-releasing the original film but they're advertising it with the Americanized cut with Raymond Burr which by all accounts is pointless nowadays with the original 1954 film readily available for everyone to see especially given the Criterion Edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-King-Mon ... e+monsters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Details about the Sony-Godzilla Blu-Rays on the rest of the Heisei series and some of the Millennium films which they seemed to have fixed the problems with the former so far.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014 ... from-sony/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the final covers for the Godzilla Blu-Rays from Kraken Releasing.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014 ... releasing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

manicsounds

#89 Post by manicsounds » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:40 am

StevenJ0001

#90 Post by StevenJ0001 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:11 am

Looks very promising!!

I am very much looking forward to reviews of Hedorah. I've never seen it but from the comments in this thread it sounds wild! :D

HerrSchreck

#93 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:39 pm

We really need a formal release of Smog Monster, i e the AIP English version. People have been deprived of the "Save The Earth" version (as opposed to "Dai-Sen" or whatever the refrain is in the original Toho Give Back The Sun song) for far too long. . . and I've been yapping about it for too long. Bring it out already furchrissakes.

mteller

#94 Post by mteller » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:51 pm

No "Save the Earth"? Boo :(

manicsounds

#95 Post by manicsounds » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:47 am

What's the status of Godzilla movies in the UK?

I know the BFI released the first, the King Kong crossover Universal DVDs were released, but how about everything else? Searching on Amazon UK, looks like nothing else. Is there some rights problem since the VHS era?

If a company like Arrow got their hands on some Godzilla, it would be quite something. They have a relationship with Toho (Lady Snowblood), and they've been able to release AIP cuts of films from MGM (the Mario Bava films).

J Wilson

#96 Post by J Wilson » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:06 am

HerrSchreck wrote:We really need a formal release of Smog Monster, i e the AIP English version. People have been deprived of the "Save The Earth" version (as opposed to "Dai-Sen" or whatever the refrain is in the original Toho Give Back The Sun song) for far too long. . . and I've been yapping about it for too long. Bring it out already furchrissakes.
From what I read on a Toho kaiju forum, someone who worked on the Classic Media Godzilla releases said that Toho simply doesn't have usable elements for some of the foreign versions of the films, Smog Monster included. For Smog Monster, they have one beat-to-shit print of the AIP version. And tracking elements of these versions down (should they even still exist, long after AIP went out of business) is not worth their time/money.

Movie-Brat

#97 Post by Movie-Brat » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Besides, by all accounts; it's still the same song. Has anyone read any early reviews of the Sony Blu-Rays by any chance?

manicsounds

#99 Post by manicsounds » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:04 am

Arrow said:
Arrow wrote:we have looked into it but it isn't something that is on our schedule at present. The BFI have released the 1954 version so it may be worth getting in touch with them to see if they have plans for any more.

HerrSchreck

#100 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:27 pm

J Wilson wrote:
HerrSchreck wrote:We really need a formal release of Smog Monster, i e the AIP English version. People have been deprived of the "Save The Earth" version (as opposed to "Dai-Sen" or whatever the refrain is in the original Toho Give Back The Sun song) for far too long. . . and I've been yapping about it for too long. Bring it out already furchrissakes.
From what I read on a Toho kaiju forum, someone who worked on the Classic Media Godzilla releases said that Toho simply doesn't have usable elements for some of the foreign versions of the films, Smog Monster included. For Smog Monster, they have one beat-to-shit print of the AIP version. And tracking elements of these versions down (should they even still exist, long after AIP went out of business) is not worth their time/money.
There are some serviceable prints, and anyhow this doesn't matter-- I've seen a private collectors version of the film, mixing the w/s Toho original of the film to the AIP audio track, and it works absolutely perfectly. All they did was dub the existing print and add new titles. There weren't any new characters or scenes added a la Vs. Mothra (or of course the original with Burr).
Movie-Brat wrote: Besides, by all accounts; it's still the same song.
No it's not-- it's a completely different song with a different vocalist and lyrics in English. I think SAVE THE EARTH vs GIVE BACK THE SUN represents a slight eh variation.

I have the academy tv version of the AIP English version which I saw a thousand times on the 4:30 movie on ABC during the 70's, and as mentioned the custom version marrying the AIP audio with the Sony restored w/s version. Trust this account: they are completely different songs.